• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

This sounds so superficial but I need some advice.

My family all have Adventure hats from https://www.sundayafternoons.com/womens/g/l/. Each time we wear them we have people stop and ask where we got them. There are a lot of other styles on this page, too. I discovered them in a travel store when we lived in CO. They were great for protection from the high-altitude sun. We have had them for years, and they still look great.

I bought the Riviera hat on page three before my family's first trip. It was the best purchase I made. My face burns very easily but even when I forgot my sunscreen, I was fine. Three years later, my hat still looks great because it can be folded and twisted and will bounce right back.

Also plan your park days to avoid long extended periods in direct sunlight, use EMH and RP to get as much done early in the day, always seek out A/C and shade when standing or moving around the parks, do not end up standing in long lines in direct sun for hours, including parades (find shade from which to watch parades), plan evening returns to the park. And of course sunscren, hat and plenty of fluids.

I'm very fair. I wear a baseball cap in the parks. I recommend this one since it's white and repels the sunlight, as opposed to a dark color which would absorb sunlight. And most importantly it has a sequin Mickey on it lol.

With the Velcro back I can secure it around my purse handle or easily put it in my bag during rides.

I think a big floppy hat might be more cumbersome / tedious to deal with on rides.

image_zpsomvthe42.jpeg

I second using a zinc based sunscreen ! I have her terrible issues with hyper-pigmentation i'm the only thing that has helped is wearing a zinc based sunscreen and a wide rimmed hat. As far as products go, the only thing that I have found has helped is the Rodan Fields products. You do not buy them for your dermatologist but through independent sellers.

Hats make me sweaty so I use tons of sunscreen and stay in the shade. Also I style my hair so there's no obvious part so it minimizes burns on my head. I like the neutrogena sunscreen stick cause it's so easy to apply whenever on my face. Also thinking about a parasol. Pretty and functional.

For what it's worth, I don't think sun exposure is too much greater in June than in March. Yes, it is hotter, but as a Floridian, I often find that I am more likely to get sunburned in March than in summer because the temperature is nicer, and I'm more inclined to stay outside longer. In the summer heat, I'm more inclined to go on a long air-conditioned ride, browse in a shop, take a longer lunch, etc. to escape the temperatures. So, if you stick with what you usually do to protect yourself along with the big, floppy hat many have suggested, I think you'll be fine.

I will be standing on the surface of the sun when my family and I are in DW in the 1st week of JUN.
I respect your need, but the hyperbole isn't very helpful.

I have lots of successful summer WDW trips under my belt!

1. You will NOT be standing in the sun baking for hours, unless you REALLY choose to tour that way.

When most people go to WDW, they are indoors far more than they are outdoors. It is a bit like going to an outlet mall. Most rides entrances are indoors and covered. Outdoor dining areas are also covered, but there is no reason you have to choose an outdoor table. Epcot is really the only park you have to be more careful, because the FW pavilions are further apart.

2. Sun is MOST intense from 11am-1pm. Most guests find it easy to minimize exposure during those hours: book an ADR, see one of the many (minimal wait) shows. In summer, we avoid waiting outside the big Nemo show in AK. Most the wait area is shaded, but the heat will zap you!

3. Many guests retreat to their resort for a nap or a beak. You are allowed to visit ALL the WDW resorts. You can't swim, but you are allowed to enjoy everything else. EVERY resort has options: live music, comfy couches, people watching, televisions. AoA even has free character drawing classes (or they did)! As soon as you get to the monorail platform or boat wait- you'll be out of the sun. Many options are FREE!

4. Summer afternoons at WDW often = thunderstorms.

5. The lowest WDW crowds are during the peripheral hours. they also happen to be less sunny and more comfortable. I find after dark is the best time of day to be in the parks!

Hats make me sweaty so I use tons of sunscreen and stay in the shade.

You also have to be careful on many rides with both hats and sunglasses! They can fly off. It is also easy to leave them in the ride-pouches, like BTMRR and Star Tours.

Use SPF 30 and use it correctly. Higher SPFs don't really offer better UVB protection and they actually offer worse UVA protection. While UVB rays are what cause burning, it's believed that UVA rays actually cause more damage. SPF 30 is the sweet spot. This article gives a clear, easy to read overview: http://www.ewg.org/2015sunscreen/report/whats-wrong-with-high-spf/
Thank you for ghe link. I had heard that the difference between 30 and the higher SPFs was negligible, but not the cautuon about risks of too-high concentration of active ingredients and psychological effects of thinking you're invincible!

I also read, but didn't save, a good article about the importance of BOTH physical barriers (hat, SPF clothing, shade, sunscreen with zinc) and chemical barriers (traditional sunscreen lotion)

I respect your need, but there is zero reason to jump on someone for their use of what you clearly understand is hyperbole.

To OP: if a big floppy hat doesn't work for you, a light head scarf, wrapped around your neck might work, but I find that to be hotter.
To clarify, when I said need, I meant the need for sun protection. I sympathize the OP's need for sun protection, but I almost didn't post. (see below)

To many posters, hyperbole reads like shouting and agitates them. Good threads get locked thanks to unnecessary hyperbole. (at least 2 in just the last 24 hours!)

Exaggerations also cause false perceptions. On a personal note, exaggerations on the DIS gave me a false impression that I wouldn't enjoy summer trips to WDW. I mistakenly avoided them for years because of hyperbolic statements similar to the one that opened this thread. When we finally dared to see for ourselves, wow! We love it!

I also happen to think my original wording was rather mild.

Last edited:
To clarify, when I said need, I meant the need for sun protection. I sympathize the OP's need for sun protection, but I almost didn't post. (see below)

I've been on the DIS along time. I can easily find 100 threads where hyperbole has caused problems on the DIS. (2 of them in the last 24 hours!)

To many posters, hyperbole reads like shouting and agitates them. Good threads sour. Sour threads get locked.

On a personal note, exaggerations on the DIS have given me a number of false impressions about WDW, including the idea that WDW is miserably hot in summer.

I mistakenly avoided summer visits to FL for a great many years because of hyperbolic statements similar to the one that opened this thread! When we finally dared to see for ourselves, we enjoyed the weather very much! I love being in the parks after dark without having to lug around a jacket!

Exaggerations cause false perceptions, that is the harm.

As a floridian, I think it's the surface of the sun during the summer, and you couldn't convince me to go during that time. I think it's a mistake to dismiss hyperbole in conversation, even if it causes problems. It's a communication technique that can help illustrate emotional states. I worry for people who think that something is *literally* the surface of the sun, and if you were hesitant to post, don't you think that your attack on word choice would do the same for the OP?

For what it's worth, I don't think sun exposure is too much greater in June than in March. Yes, it is hotter, but as a Floridian, I often find that I am more likely to get sunburned in March than in summer because the temperature is nicer, and I'm more inclined to stay outside longer. In the summer heat, I'm more inclined to go on a long air-conditioned ride, browse in a shop, take a longer lunch, etc. to escape the temperatures. So, if you stick with what you usually do to protect yourself along with the big, floppy hat many have suggested, I think you'll be fine.

Summer Solstice in June (21st) gets the sun up for the longest period of time - March sun is close to September sun in the length.

FYI: If you don't bring and umbrella and decide that was a good idea you can buy umbrellas in the parks. Some of the larger shops have umbrellas with the ponchos. They aren't the greatest quality but you can get it while there.

Hat/visor. I have one from Disney that is sort of a purplepink color that is the size of a big floppy hat but in the style of a visor. I'm don't like the feeling of hats on my head so this works great. I got it on property last summer

My family all have Adventure hats from https://www.sundayafternoons.com/womens/g/l/. Each time we wear them we have people stop and ask where we got them. There are a lot of other styles on this page, too. I discovered them in a travel store when we lived in CO. They were great for protection from the high-altitude sun. We have had them for years, and they still look great.

We have these hats too and LOVE them!!! I've tried for years to find a lightweight hat that doesn't make us sweat or feel even warmer in the sun and the women's Crusier and kids Bucket hats are perfect!

Hats make me sweaty so I use tons of sunscreen and stay in the shade./QUOTE]

Check out the hats linked above. They are super lightweight and have ventilation so the heat doesn't get trapped inside the hat :thumbsup2 They're available on Amazon with free returns, if you have prime, so you could check them out in person to see if they would
work for you.

I got bad hyperpigmentation when pregnant that never really went away. My derm recommended aveeno radiant sunscreen just as much as the prescription stuff. But obviously staying out of the sun works the best.

I have bad light sensitivity so I basically always wear a visor in the sun. Helps a bit and I'm so not a big floppy hat kinda girl.

Good luck.
I don't mind to wear a hat but I am sure I will lose it in seconds!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter