• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

This storm in the Gulf… now Hurricane Idalia

Southwest keeps sending me emails about the travel advisory. Our flight should land after midnight on 9/1 (so overnight Thursday night). I keep second guessing myself when I get their emails, but it really seems like a flight that late on Thursday would be ok (barring any domino effects).

We were all at pop century during IAN, never again will I stay value. My DD and her DH are at the world now, suppose to come home on Wednesday night. At least they are at the GF in one of the new Mary poppins rooms and not pop.
I haven’t heard from them today on what is going on.
I'm just curious what problems you had with Pop. We were there during hurricane Irma and it was actually a wonderful experience. A little scary at first but we felt really safe as it was happening. The buildings at Pop are built like tanks. After the fact, we saw other resorts with more damage from rain and wind, like the Contemporary.

I hate to mention this, but has anyone been looking at the spaghetti models? A few of them are starting to show the storm going out into the Atlantic and then turning back and going over Florida a second time. Gosh, I hope they are wrong! :scared1:
Good grief.

A tip from someone who has done all kinds of weather in Disney - bring several pairs of shoes. Sneakers take forever to dry in hotel rooms and on humid balconies. Put flip flops in your park bag and put them on when it rains. Bring a hotel hand towel too. It helps when you need to dry off. Enjoy your trip and if the parks are open then go! A rainy day in Disney is still better than a day anywhere else☀️😎

Southwest keeps sending me emails about the travel advisory. Our flight should land after midnight on 9/1 (so overnight Thursday night). I keep second guessing myself when I get their emails, but it really seems like a flight that late on Thursday would be ok (barring any domino effects).
Yup, the domino effect is what can get ya. Good luck!

While I appreciate your experience, I'm not sure I agree that MCO will be closed all day tomorrow. And I doubt the parks will be closed for 2 days. We'll see I guess, I continue to follow the latest updates.
For those going this week, I sure hope they are not closed for 2 days!! That was rare! Truly hope for all going this week that the storm weakens and continues to turn away from Central FL. I lived there for 20 years and went through my fair share of hurricanes and near misses, and know they can change course and catch you off-guard. No bueno. I am thinking of you all.

Normally I am a pessimist in life, but I still have my Wednesday morning flight. If SW flys it, I will be on it. I also have Thursday morning as a backup. Looks like lots of folks switched to Friday, many of those are sold out.

Normally I am a pessimist in life, but I still have my Wednesday morning flight. If SW flys it, I will be on it. I also have Thursday morning as a backup. Looks like lots of folks switched to Friday, many of those are sold out.
You are not alone! I’m a major worrier but planning to go on my Wed night flight if it goes! Have a backup Thursday morning too 😳

Latest models are showing it to be hitting land early Wed morning. It's taking its sweet time down near Cuba

We were there for Hurricane Ian last year - and this storm is currently tracking weaker, without the direct hit to Orlando.
Hopefully closures are minimal, especially given the storm's current track - but I can share our experiance from the Polynesian.

First, here's the view from our room during the storm - we were overlooking the main pool. It got pretty wild at night, but never to the point where I feared for our safety.

They had a TON of activities in the Great Ceremonial House for the kids. They kepy everyone very well entertained. Food choices were limited, but still very good... the kids loved the noodles and chicken tenders.

This was my 5th Hurricane. My wife & kid's first... overall, the lead up to the hurricane was the worst. Folks back home checking in on us every 20 minutes, asking us to hit the highway and drive home - we were better off hunkered down at Disney, plus we got to finish our vacation after the storm passed.

The latest euro model has it even further west. Hopefully that trend continues. We are here now and have flights home Thursday at 8pm

The latest euro model has it even further west. Hopefully that trend continues. We are here now and have flights home Thursday at 8pm
Looking good for Orlando today, though scary for the big bend. Still worried about my sister in Tampa (on the peninsula but not zone A) if it pulls an Ian.

If I had to guess, I’m assuming the party will still be going on tonight
Local weather says rain bands and wind after midnight - obviously that can change - aside from the event tonight which we invested in as well - still worry for those with direct impacts still to come - stay safe

We were supposed to be there this week but I had changed it like a month ago. Phew!

I’m down here now. My son is a cm with the college program and we are visiting. Doesn’t seem to yet be any major plans afoot to change schedules for him (he could be called to be on a ride out team). We decided to move to the CR tower today so we have a hotel with an interior hallway just in case …just our preference. We have party tickets tonight as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter