• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

This storm in the Gulf… now Hurricane Idalia

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but hasn’t it been common for BGs to still be open for guardians until like 10 or 11?
Actually, no clue!! Normally I buy $LL since I need a specific time.
Nope, not common! According to thrill-data Guardians VQ closed at 7am every day in August, except yesterday where it was open until 9:38 am and today where it was open until 9:10am. Maybe you were thinking about the 1pm VQ? That regularly stays open for 30-60 minutes or more.

Been here since the AM, looks like people are starting to brave the storms as the parks are getting busier. Here at Epcot and can tell a big difference now. It was nice while it lasted lol
Same!! Strolled over at 9:45 or so. I did manage to walk onto Remy, Frozen, and Soarin’, then had a $LL for Guardians. Got right into La Cava - a first. Now enjoying a last-minute res change at Shiki-Sai (mine was later than I wanted originally). Park is picking up now, I might be glad I started stacking some G+ at MK for later, though I felt silly this morning. Some strong bands of wind and rain, otherwise just drizzle, primarily.

We were at Epcot this evening also. We rolled in around 4:30. We did Soarin', Living with the Land, Nemo, spend some time with the fishies, Spaceship Earth, 3 Cabeleros, Frozen, Remy, and managed to catch the last few minutes of fireworks before getting the Skyliner back to the resort. DH also got a VQ for Guardians for him and DD12 after we got to the park. It wasn't a bad day for sure.

I had a quick solo trip planned after DH and I dropped both of our boys at college, to stave off our brand new empty nest a few more days. I tacked the trip on to a wedding DH and I attended in Chicago. I flew in on Sunday 8/27 and was scheduled to leave on Wednesday 8/30. I stayed at the Yacht Club, a first for me, and enjoyed Epcot on Sunday evening. I got up and hit HS on Monday morning, and stopped at the hotel to figure out what to do about the storm. I live in the midwest and while I didn't want to cut my already very short trip shorter, I also didn't want to be stuck. YC told me they could only guarantee me a room through 8/31, because they were at full capacity starting on 9/1 due to Labor Day weekend.

So, I grabbed a late afternoon flight back home on Tuesday instead, and I went to enjoy MK on Monday afternoon. By Monday night, I was starting to worry that I'd still get stuck if I was flying out on Tuesday afternoon, so with help from a TA friend, I swapped my afternoon flight for a morning flight out on Tuesday. Gah...there went my two TS reservations and my dreams of hitting all four parks.

I scheduled an Uber for 7:30 am and gave myself three hours before my flight's departure on Tuesday morning, like WDW recommends. However, I woke in the early hours of Tuesday worried that I wasn't getting up and out early enough...my thought process was that a ton of people might also be trying to check out when I was (I was told by a CM that I had to check out in person because I was leaving my reservation early and it was the only way Disney could give me a refund for my last night). So, I got up even earlier, and hustled down to the lobby at about 6:30 am. GAH! I was literally the only person in the lobby besides the CMs behind the counter. Ugh! They chuckled at how early I was and said from their perspective, most people were extending their stay and were going to ride out the storm at Disney. So, I checked out easily and sat in the lobby with a book until my Uber arrived.

I got to MCO very early, and while security was mobbed, once I got through it (thank goodness for TSA precheck) I was surprised at how calm everything seemed at the gate. No one was rushing around, everyone was kind and in a good mood. Even the gates around mine seemed empty.

I flew home without incident, for which I'm grateful. However, now I'm wondering if I should have stayed through 8/31? Of course I didn't have a crystal ball, but would I have been stranded? Or could I have enjoyed more park time and even enjoyed more empty parks? Would I have been able to fly home on my original flight in the late afternoon on 8/30? Or would I have been able to fly home easily today (8/31)?

Needless to say, I told DH that I need a solo trip "do over". :smooth::love::)

I flew in this morning with zero problems and Epcot is honestly dead. Remy was a 20 minute posted wait for a good while and basically a walk on, the Guardians VQ line was a 10 minute actual wait, etc. If I hadn’t been so exhausted I would have done more before heading back to the Dolphin to rest.

I flew in this morning with zero problems and Epcot is honestly dead. Remy was a 20 minute posted wait for a good while and basically a walk on, the Guardians VQ line was a 10 minute actual wait, etc. If I hadn’t been so exhausted I would have done more before heading back to the Dolphin to rest.
Speaking of guardians, anyone else wish there was a way to just skip the preshow? After hearing it four times this visit I want to blow my brain out :)

Speaking of guardians, anyone else wish there was a way to just skip the preshow? After hearing it four times this visit I want to blow my brain out :)
Yes. It’s even worse when the preshow breaks down and they hold you at the first room to try and fix it for 30 minutes. We think the ride is down and then they send us up the stairwell and around the preshow rooms and they are sending empty trains when we get down there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter