This summer compared to last

We went to Disneyland in August 2021, and I had to be talked into it. The parks were just reopening, there was no fast passes, no annual passes, and honestly I didn’t want to wait in line in the heat. It was the best time and the lowest crowds I had ever seen in the last 10-15 years. Disney knows that if they limit crowds and no one has a fast pass, the lines move quickly!

In 2022 we went in July, and I was pleasantly surprised by the low crowds, especially on July 5. We honestly rode everything on that first day and could have gone home happy. It was hot, but manageable and we went back for an afternoon swim everyday.

This year we’re heading back in August and I bet it will be hot and crowded. People are ready to get back out there and travel!

This year we’re heading back in August and I bet it will be hot and crowded. People are ready to get back out there and travel!

Based on what WDW is seeing, it seems like a lot of "revenge travel" is over. People did get back out and traveled domestically and are either staying home or traveling abroad - European cruises seem to be full to capacity this year.

Thanks for all the replies, hope my friends have a great visit this summer! I really was hoping we would be rid of the reservations and genie plus this summer but I don't see how they will ever get rid of the cash cow even if it is preventing people from going. I wish they would go back to free fast pass and the paid to do it on your phone and you get 1/2 hour earlier!!!

Just got back from DL. Crowds were manageable. They would have been more manageable if rides didn't keep breaking down. There was one point in the day when 7 of the most popular rides were down at the same time, Indiana, Haunted Mansion, Jungle book, Pirates, space mountain, Thunder Mountain, and MMRR. I was wondering if someone blew a fuse.

Is there a concrete reason why ticket sales and park demand are down compared to last year?
I'm guessing bad experiences and over pricing are finally catching up with them. This is the first time in our families last 15 years that we don't have a trip planned. Last year was a mere shadow of what DL use to be for our family I am having difficulty convincing my wife that we should be planning our next trip :(

Just got back from DL. Crowds were manageable. They would have been more manageable if rides didn't keep breaking down. There was one point in the day when 7 of the most popular rides were down at the same time, Indiana, Haunted Mansion, Jungle book, Pirates, space mountain, Thunder Mountain, and MMRR. I was wondering if someone blew a fuse.
We just returned from a week and wondering what day this was? We didn't notice this happened so trying to figure out what we may have been doing at that time?

To OP, like others have mentioned...we didn't go last year but we were there from July 2-July 8 this week and we were pleasantly surprised with the crowds. We had prepared ourselves for much, much worse. We often noted to each other that no one was bumping into us, we didn't have to be super cautious about our backpacks bumping anyone because we were rarely that close to anyone and our wait times were not long. I over heard my son's girlfriend tell her dad when we brought her back that she didn't wait in a single line. That made me feel good, especially since she had read in her guide book that July 4th would be insanity!

Really two people can be there on the same day and still have different outcomes. We were there last Aug and just came back from our recent trip. This trip was a bit more crowded since its summer everyone is on break but very manageable. I would say both trips we had very similar experience. We were able to use order ahead for food, we got on all the rides with out using Genie or LL, we were able to shop. wait times were about the same. I remember last year almost all rides had shorter wait time than was shown. We would get in a line that said 30 or 40 min and it would end up being less than 20. Same thing this year. i remember we got in line at TMRR and said 30 but daughter wanted to ride and it was less than 15. At about 10 min we were already on the stairs. Same with RSR said 50 min end up being 35 min which was surprising for that one. Matterhorn was broken down almost everyday and when it was up it said 30 min so we waited and it was less than 15.

Both last year and this year we had a great time.

We just returned from a week and wondering what day this was? We didn't notice this happened so trying to figure out what we may have been doing at that time?

To OP, like others have mentioned...we didn't go last year but we were there from July 2-July 8 this week and we were pleasantly surprised with the crowds. We had prepared ourselves for much, much worse. We often noted to each other that no one was bumping into us, we didn't have to be super cautious about our backpacks bumping anyone because we were rarely that close to anyone and our wait times were not long. I over heard my son's girlfriend tell her dad when we brought her back that she didn't wait in a single line. That made me feel good, especially since she had read in her guide book that July 4th would be insanity!
July 5 around 11 am.

Gotcha, we were at Universal that day.
It was funny. I was discussing it with some other people that were searching for LL. The rides did resume and we ended up riding all of them. It was strange how they all went down at the same time.

July 5 around 11 am.
Interesting, we were there just before you, left July 2. In the evening on July 1, just before we left, around 8pm, 10 rides just in DL were down. We actually were on Haunted Mansion at the time, and it stopped running, the lights came on, and we had to wait a bit before being manually let out and walk out of the ride.

We thought crowds and heat were much better compared to the same week last year.
Hey Pluto468, I noticed in your signature line that you just stayed at the BW Plus Anaheim Inn. I am guessing you like it since you have stayed there before but what draws you to that hotel? Any particular amenities? Location? The rooms? etc. Reason I ask is that we booked our next stay in January with them. TIA

Interesting, we were there just before you, left July 2. In the evening on July 1, just before we left, around 8pm, 10 rides just in DL were down. We actually were on Haunted Mansion at the time, and it stopped running, the lights came on, and we had to wait a bit before being manually let out and walk out of the ride.
Wow, that's crazy. Like I said it's almost like they blew a fuse.LOL.

I agree. I check out the wait times on the DL app when I am bored (get a life, right) and have noticed shorter wait times than what I would expect during the summer. Some of the wait times are very similar to when we went in late Jan 2023
My mission in life since 2019 is finding a way to cheat code Disneyland. I have been semi successful on multiple fronts with one massive exception. We went to Disneyland a bunch last year. Mainly off of banked trips from COVID. There were 6 noticeable spikes last year in regards to attendance. Of the 6 we entered the gates during 3 of those spikes to include the 2 busiest days of the year (4/12/2022 and 12/30/2022).

To your point of checking the app this summer. I have mini fits of jealousy as I think about what a 20 minute Incredicoaster line with both tracks running must look like.

My mission in life since 2019 is finding a way to cheat code Disneyland. I have been semi successful on multiple fronts with one massive exception. We went to Disneyland a bunch last year. Mainly off of banked trips from COVID. There were 6 noticeable spikes last year in regards to attendance. Of the 6 we entered the gates during 3 of those spikes to include the 2 busiest days of the year (4/12/2022 and 12/30/2022).

To your point of checking the app this summer. I have mini fits of jealousy as I think about what a 20 minute Incredicoaster line with both tracks running must look like.
I know, right. That would be something. I am envious when I see Rise of the Resistance at 45 mins or less. Was not like that in January

Hey Pluto468, I noticed in your signature line that you just stayed at the BW Plus Anaheim Inn. I am guessing you like it since you have stayed there before but what draws you to that hotel? Any particular amenities? Location? The rooms? etc. Reason I ask is that we booked our next stay in January with them. TIA
We really like BW Plus Anaheim Inn. The breakfast is great. We had eggs, egg sandwiches, pancakes, bacon, sausages and french toast sticks. They also have cold options every day like fruit, cereal and packaged pastries. There's a really nice coffee/cocoa machine in the lobby. The front desk was very accommodating about all of our requests. The walk is only 2.5 minutes to the Disneyland entrance. We found the beds very comfortable and the rooms spacious. This last trip we had a broken AC and toilet, but they fixed them right away on the first night.

The only thing we didn't like was dealing with the atmosphere on Harbor, but that was about Harbor Blvd, not the BW.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter