This time next week we will be at the fort!!! a few questions...

Daffodilmom21

Earning My Ears
So I have been to FW a few times as a kid, but we are talking about 30 years ago... so I have a question or 2 that I'm hoping all can help out with.

I did do online check in and put early check in as first priority, what time does this usually work out for guests? Am I notified by text on my phone? We are checking in Sunday, Jan 8th, which is Marathon weekend, will this have an impact?

So my parents are actually joining us on this trip and we have graciously lent them our TT for their use. We have decided to rent a 5th Wheel through Florida Camper Rentals to get a taste of a larger rig, ours is only a 21 footer and the one we have rented is 48 so very much looking forward to the extra room and hoping my DH falls in love too because I would love to upgrade. SO I guess my questions is to all that have rented, do you then notify the rental company of the site so they can begin set up?

And the last question for now has to do with Golf cart rental. I have 2 reserved, rented one for my parents and I know they can be picked up anytime after 1pm. Does anyone bring any type of lock to lock the rental? I know I have heard of some keys fitting numerous golf carts, just trying to get all my packing done.

Thank You!!!!

So I have been to FW a few times as a kid, but we are talking about 30 years ago... so I have a question or 2 that I'm hoping all can help out with.

I did do online check in and put early check in as first priority, what time does this usually work out for guests? Am I notified by text on my phone? We are checking in Sunday, Jan 8th, which is Marathon weekend, will this have an impact?

So my parents are actually joining us on this trip and we have graciously lent them our TT for their use. We have decided to rent a 5th Wheel through Florida Camper Rentals to get a taste of a larger rig, ours is only a 21 footer and the one we have rented is 48 so very much looking forward to the extra room and hoping my DH falls in love too because I would love to upgrade. SO I guess my questions is to all that have rented, do you then notify the rental company of the site so they can begin set up?

And the last question for now has to do with Golf cart rental. I have 2 reserved, rented one for my parents and I know they can be picked up anytime after 1pm. Does anyone bring any type of lock to lock the rental? I know I have heard of some keys fitting numerous golf carts, just trying to get all my packing done.

Thank You!!!!
You did online check in so you may or may not receive a text. Don't know the reason why just know from experience that we've done online check in and we've gotten a text 2 of 3 times and this last trip we did not.
For the golf cart rental, if it's a Disney rental I wouldn't worry about locking up. We never worried about it. I guess I just figured if someone else took it, we'd just report it to Disney and they'd figure it out. We marked our cart with a little car flag so it would be easier to see in the cart parking.

For the golf cart rental, if it's a Disney rental I wouldn't worry about locking up. We never worried about it. I guess I just figured if someone else took it, we'd just report it to Disney and they'd figure it out. We marked our cart with a little car flag so it would be easier to see in the cart parking.

^^^ This!

Generally the rental company will be given the site number so they can get it set up for you. That's how it works with trailer vendors. FCR has done lots of Fort rentals so I would suggest you check with them.

Hope your strategy on the bigger trailer works with DH. :rolleyes:

Bama Ed

So how did the rental process go??...we are looking at renting from them...opinion on how things went would be great!!!

Generally the rental company will be given the site number so they can get it set up for you. That's how it works with trailer vendors.

This confuses me so much. We don't get a site number until we get there. How can rental companies be given the site number prior to that? Or do they come set up after you get there?

I ask because I have read people saying their trailer was all set up when they got there. Maybe they meant got back from the parks?

It would be so nice if Disney just let us reserve specific sites like state parks do.

This confuses me so much. We don't get a site number until we get there. How can rental companies be given the site number prior to that? Or do they come set up after you get there?

I ask because I have read people saying their trailer was all set up when they got there. Maybe they meant got back from the parks?

It would be so nice if Disney just let us reserve specific sites like state parks do.

I wonder if Disney has a deal with those preferred vendors. Or maybe they just get whatever is available first thing in morning? Or perhaps All this people who arrived to find trailer all ready set up to go arrived a few hours after official check in time meaning it was all ready set up? I dunno either...interesting....

I agree about being able to reserve specific sites. I'm sure the Fort would be sold out just as much as it is now - but it would be nice to now what to expect. As you say, ReserveAmerica does it for Florida and Ohio state parks, I know that.

The answer is "it depends" on the vendor you are using. Meacham's, one of the offical vendors of FW for renting trailers, says they will get your site number and set up. See bullet point #3 here: http://www.traveltrailerrent.com/disneys-fort-wilderness-rental-packages.html

Greenberg's, on the other hand (not an official vendor), says you the guest must get your site number then text it to Greenberg. http://www.greenbergrvflorida.com/camping-in-florida/fort-wilderness/ See point #5 also note this is a "recent" change in Disney policy.

So go with whatever the policy is for the vendor you end up using.

Bama Ed

I agree about being able to reserve specific sites. I'm sure the Fort would be sold out just as much as it is now - but it would be nice to now what to expect. As you say, ReserveAmerica does it for Florida and Ohio state parks, I know that.

The answer is "it depends" on the vendor you are using. Meacham's, one of the offical vendors of FW for renting trailers, says they will get your site number and set up. See bullet point #3 here: http://www.traveltrailerrent.com/disneys-fort-wilderness-rental-packages.html

Greenberg's, on the other hand (not an official vendor), says you the guest must get your site number then text it to Greenberg. http://www.greenbergrvflorida.com/camping-in-florida/fort-wilderness/ See point #5 also note this is a "recent" change in Disney policy.

So go with whatever the policy is for the vendor you end up using.

Bama Ed

Yes, ReserveAmerica does ours, here in Florida, and it's fantastic. Been using it for over a decade with never a problem. Much nicer than my previous state up north.

I'm sure it would still be sold out, but, like you said, at least we could choose our own site. FL state parks reserve 11 months in advance and they stay pretty full too. For our favorite sites at our favorite parks, we do have to reserve that early, unless we get lucky. I always make reservations when I think we may want them and keep at least 4 a year on hold at our favorite place. If we end up not being able to use them, I do cancel, although they don't refund much. They are cheap to begin with, so not a huge deal.

I have my own camper, but was just really curious with the rentals. I never knew that Disney even had any preferred trailer rental places. Interesting. Thanks for the information.

We've been here a week now and have seen several rentals come and go. The rental company seems to show up about 12:30 or so since checkout is at 11am and check in at 1pm.

48" 5th wheel will be quite a change from a 21' bumper pull. If you upgrade, be prepared for a bigger tow vehicle. We've had our 40' 5th wheel for 6 years now and have upgraded to a 1-ton SRW diesel from a 3/4-ton SRW diesel. It does make a difference. 48' will be a tad heavier than we are so it'd be a little careful on the tow vehicle.

We've seen some of the rentals and they are really nice. There was one down the way from us (a park model) that looked really nice. There was a big 5th wheel rental that looked new or close to it that was very nice as well. I watched the guys come and pull both of them out and they didn't take any time at all to hook on and move it.

I have my own camper, but was just really curious with the rentals. I never knew that Disney even had any preferred trailer rental places. Interesting. Thanks for the information.
I believe this is a relatively new thing. (Within the last year). I am sure it's just a way to work on another revenue stream (i.e. to be "Preferred" you have to pay Disney a fee)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter