This weekend in Bahamas

I wonder what kind of itinerary changes we can expect for the 8/30 sailing on Dream. Royal is sailing the Mariner on a 3-day out of Canaveral the same date, and has said they are still PLANNING to go to Nassau on Saturday. Will be interesting to say the least.
I can't say for sure but I know on cruises with sea days that Disney has swapped a sea day and Castaway if they couldn't dock and there wasn't another ship scheduled for the day they wanted to change to. That happened I don't know if they could do the same with a Nassau and Castaway stop on a 3 day (Nassau is less in the path of the storm currently so it would make sense to switch the two if the storm continues its trajectory) since port space in Nassau is reserved and regulated. More likely they may have to spend a day at sea if they can't make port in Castaway or Nassau.

For those of you Sailing Aug 30th, this is on DCL's website currently.
Disney Dream – Friday, August 30
Based on Hurricane Dorian’s current location and projected path, we have determined that it is safe for Disney Dream to set sail on Friday as originally scheduled. Once the ship departs Port Canaveral, it will keep a safe distance from the storm. Depending on its path, there is a possibility that we may need to modify the itinerary, including not being able to return to Port Canaveral on Monday. We will continue to monitor weather forecasts throughout the sailing and adjust as needed.
Guests that do not want to sail on Friday, must call us at 866-325-3905 or 407-566-7032 by noon on Friday. Guests will then have until October 31 to choose a new sail date. They may change their reservation to a later date without incurring a change fee, though there may be a difference in price depending on the new sailing selected.

Any chance we go to Castaway on Saturday instead and then head well south towards say Cuba? Sounds like most of our party will be going (we live near Port Canaveral) as a form of evacuation. One person from our party (from NY) will likely be canceling ...

Any chance we go to Castaway on Saturday instead and then head well south towards say Cuba? Sounds like most of our party will be going (we live near Port Canaveral) as a form of evacuation. One person from our party (from NY) will likely be canceling ...
It's possible since there's no other ship scheduled to be at the island on Saturday. I know I would much rather go to Castaway and skip Nassau than vice versa.

We decided to cancel our trip tomorrow and opted to re-book for a later date. I know the decision they made to set sail and let folks who are not comfortable to reschedule without fee is the best outcome I could have expected. Only complaint is that the could have made this decision a little sooner like yesterday, which would have saved a lot of anxiety and stress.

Good luck to those who are still going. I am really hoping they take you to CC and skip Nassau, but I have a feeling they'll keep Nassau on Saturday and skip CC.

Only complaint is that the could have made this decision a little sooner like yesterday, which would have saved a lot of anxiety and stress.

I will just say if they had made the decision yesterday and then things changed and Dorian became not a threat, people who changed would be upset at that and say they should have waited. It’s always a catch-22 with weather. (Same basic principle as those who make snow day decisions - if they wait to see and things are bad then parents complain there should have been more notice so they could arrange childcare, but if they make a decision to close based on a forecast and nothing happens, everyone screams they should have waited.)

I will just say if they had made the decision yesterday and then things changed and Dorian became not a threat, people who changed would be upset at that and say they should have waited. It’s always a catch-22 with weather. (Same basic principle as those who make snow day decisions - if they wait to see and things are bad then parents complain there should have been more notice so they could arrange childcare, but if they make a decision to close based on a forecast and nothing happens, everyone screams they should have waited.)
I don’t think you can compare this to a snow day. People don’t have thousands of dollars invested in a school day. They should be giving the guests the option to cancel on Monday.

Just a thought i had for those still planning the Dream tomorrow or Fantasy on Saturday. I probably would not park my car or rental car at the port. Being right on the coast on what looks like the north side of the eye of the storm means very high storm surge. Plus i hear there are king tides and potential for 12” of rain. Those cars might not be there when the ships return.

I don’t think you can compare this to a snow day. People don’t have thousands of dollars invested in a school day. They should be giving the guests the option to cancel on Monday.

In terms of the unpredictability is what I was referring to. If they had made the call on Monday and Dorian fell apart, people would be screaming they made the call too early.

Ultimately we all have to make our own decisions. Those who purchased trip insurance with cancel for any reason could have made that choice on their own.

In terms of the unpredictability is what I was referring to. If they had made the call on Monday and Dorian fell apart, people would be screaming they made the call too early.

Ultimately we all have to make our own decisions. Those who purchased trip insurance with cancel for any reason could have made that choice on their own.
II meant cancel their cruise on Monday not cancel 4 days ago.

II meant cancel their cruise on Monday not cancel 4 days ago.

They still may.

But again, I do feel for people in this situation, but they ultimately have to take responsibility for themselves and make a decision they are comfortable with. Hopefully people cruising during hurricane season buy trip insurance with cancel for any reason in it so they have options and can make their own choices.

I also chose to cancel our cruise tomorrow. We will hold to rebook for another date. Although at first Disney said any cruise, and then later another person says has to by a cruise by 12/31/2020. So we'll see. not making any decision today. My hotel tonight allowed me cancel without penalty. Delta allowed me to cancel and gave me all my miles i booked with, without penalty. Spirit - different story. They gave me my miles back, but kept $60 as the initial miles booking fee. They also only gave me my seats and baggage as a voucher that i have 60 days to redeem.
I did have trip insurance, and it appears i can claim the spirit loss, since they have print saying if not allowed 1 year to use the funds, then I can report as a loss.
My wife is a teacher and with Tuesday being the first day of school, it was too much stress to go or not go. And then . i'd be worried on the boat. what if i slows down as a hurricane and hits Monday and into Tuesday and we don't come back til Wednesday. rebooking flights for Tuesday..maybe Wed was just too much stress. i wouldn't be able to enjoy the cruise. i'd be worried about what if? And what if Port canaveral got hit hard? or stuff is flooded and on and on and on.

So we got our cruise credit. Cancelled our air and hotel. and should be ok with it all. Good luck to all of you. under other circumstances i'd love an extra day 4 or even day 5 on a cruise!!!! i'm sure you'll get some on board credits too as a bonus!

I am travelling from NY on Sept 7th to MCO, and I leave on the 4-night Disney Dream sailing on Sept 9th. Although early, is there any opinion on whether Dorian may affect this sailing? More so concerned about the aftermath of the storm rather than the weather itself. But I know that things can change and we won't be certain until the upcoming days of when/where it will hit and with what intensity. This is my first sailing during hurricane season and I am aware of the risk and unpredictability. Thanks all.

I am travelling from NY on Sept 7th to MCO, and I leave on the 4-night Disney Dream sailing on Sept 9th. Although early, is there any opinion on whether Dorian may affect this sailing? More so concerned about the aftermath of the storm rather than the weather itself. But I know that things can change and we won't be certain until the upcoming days of when/where it will hit and with what intensity. Thanks all.

Castaway Cay should be "rehabbed" in plenty of time. It won't be lush and green but the beach will be well groomed. A lot of people stay on the ship in Nassau so if Nassau sustains major damage, just consider it a sea day.

I am travelling from NY on Sept 7th to MCO, and I leave on the 4-night Disney Dream sailing on Sept 9th. Although early, is there any opinion on whether Dorian may affect this sailing? More so concerned about the aftermath of the storm rather than the weather itself. But I know that things can change and we won't be certain until the upcoming days of when/where it will hit and with what intensity. This is my first sailing during hurricane season and I am aware of the risk and unpredictability. Thanks all.
Meh, you'll likely be good to go. The port reopens fairly quickly and that would be about a week after it went by.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the info so far. This is my 5th cruise with DCL, Nassau is always a “sea day” for me, you can find me in the rainforest room! I usually cruise around Spring Break but I’ve had this one booked since November.

You should be ok unless the storm hits the port directly.
When Irma hit the Port of Miami it was closed for awhile because smaller pleasure boats sank in the channel and the ships couldn’t enter.

Just a thought i had for those still planning the Dream tomorrow or Fantasy on Saturday. I probably would not park my car or rental car at the port. Being right on the coast on what looks like the north side of the eye of the storm means very high storm surge. Plus i hear there are king tides and potential for 12” of rain. Those cars might not be there when the ships return.
the upper floors of the parking garage should be ok I would think

I think anything other than the first floor of the garage will be ok
6493D92D-FAE1-4B35-8685-0616288B5749.jpeg

I don’t think they will go to Castaway.
The employees that work there will either be preparing the island for the storm or already evacuated

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter