This weeks burning question

Will fears of a worsening economy affect your travel plans?

• Yes - I've decided not to travel this year

• Maybe - It depends on if the right deal comes along

• No - I'm going on vacation!!

Results are only viewable after voting.

WebmasterPete

Grand Administrator
I wanted to use a different software package to do the polls, but it doesn't work, so we'll just post them here from now on :)

This weeks Burning Question is : Citigroup recently downgraded Disney's stock on the basis that a worsening economy will impact DIsney's theme park business. Will fears (or the reality) of a worsening economy cause you to change your travel plans this year?

I'm going on vacation! Really the only thing that has changed for us is that gas prices are costing us about $30 more a month to drive, and I will say that milk prices are outrageous! But our family and our community is not really experiencing a slowing economy.

Iterestingly, I heard a radio news story - sorry I don't remember what I was listening to, & I like to quote sources - that said a poll was taken and that 70% of the people were worried about the economy, but that only about 15% answered that they were doing worse than last year. :confused3

DH & I live for our vacations. I'd give up food and drink before giving that up!! We may have to skimp in a few other areas to make up for it, but you have to do what makes you happy in this life and for us, being together on vacation is it. :lovestruc

No doubt vacations for our family is a must! we usually take one or two big vacations per summer and then one or two smaller budgeted vacations around those.

Truth be told, it's all of the summer vacation planning that get's me through the winter. If I didn't have any vacations to plan during the winter months, well I'd just give up and freeze to death:eek:

One day, I will call Florida HOME!:goodvibes

There's a kind of "buzz" when you're planning a vacation, don't you think?? It's Grown-up "Are we there yet" syndrome....

I wanted to use a different software package to do the polls, but it doesn't work, so we'll just post them here from now on :)

This weeks Burning Question is : Citigroup recently downgraded Disney's stock on the basis that a worsening economy will impact DIsney's theme park business. Will fears (or the reality) of a worsening economy cause you to change your travel plans this year?

But Citigroup was the only one to do so. They should have waited a few days until Disney's quarterly results came out. :rotfl2: After all, Disney is more than just theme parks.

Our December vacation at WDW probably helped the results. ;) We have plans to be back in June, October and December. :)

Nope! I'm young, single and childless so economic downturns have yet to find a way to really grab onto me. A friend and I have plans to go do Food&Wine this year and I don't see that changing no matter what the economy does. If anything, I'm travelling more in the next 12 months than usual.

I read the darn thing wrong and posted YES when I meant NO. That will teach me to read a little closer before answering!

Dd and I are going to WDW in July for her birthday. Started planning in October and our plans have not changed.

That's why I love DVC, I have vacations even if the economy isn't doing too well. :)

Will still go, but probably will scale back on all of the restaurants we usually hit.

Already have this year's trip 1/2 paid for (a week on the beach in Wells, Maine). I'll start planning our '09 WDW trip in July. No change in plans for us.

I will still be vacationing. As far as WDW goes, though, it will probably only my annual early December/Mousefest time trip to hang with my DIS buddies. I've been to WDW multiple times each year the last several years, and I need a little break to build up the anticipation again. . .

Hoping to do an Alaskan cruise this summer with my husband, and maybe go to a few other places as well. This is all assuming we don't have job changes, but we do not anticipate anything like that happening in our fields. But you never really know, I suppose.

Now, Pete, everyone knows that ALL polls must include an "Other" option. I kinda feel my answer should have been 'Other' (instead of No-I'm going on vacation!) because even though we aren't going on vacation this year, it has nothing to do with the recession and everything to do with paying for DD's Sylvan tutoring in math ($6500! :scared: ) and paying for a refurb on a property we bought last year. Because of these two things, we decided to skip WDW this year....and any other vacation destination. We're thinkin' about takin' DD10 to *gasp!* Busch Gardens Williamsburg for maybe an extended weekend but that's it. I'm planning a 7-night vaca the first week in Dec. '09 with extended family. That'll tide me over. HOWEVER, if they announce an incredible deal with free dining...well....I'll be VERY tempted. ;) Hmmm, maybe I shoulda voted 'Maybe-It depends on if the right deal comes along'?

We will probably go back to Gulf Shores again this September. Not fancy or expensive, but we are still going.

We live in Louisiana, and we are in a SLOW economy. We have had to scale back our trip plans more than normal. We are still going to go, but not do as many extras as normal. Thanks goodness my girls are older, and seem not to mind if we don't do the character meals this time. Oh, by the way, they are dreaming if they think I would normally pay $31 for lunch with or without the current economic situation.

Love the podcast,

Sam

That's why I love DVC, I have vacations even if the economy isn't doing too well. :)

This is us too! WDW is a cheap-ish vacation for us. A cruise or other resort-type vacation would cost us more. DVC was a smart move on Disney's part. They've got a at least one steady stream of customers who will return.

Absolutely NOT!

In fact, I'm planning my first trip to DL (across country) for the first week in March.

The problem I have is, this economy thing is due to the housing market, period. Sure other things are involved but if the housing market alone was up, this wouldn't be happening.

If I didn't buy a home during that bad loan time, or to a lesser extent, if I don't have a home loan with a variable rate, how does this affect me? It hasn't yet.

We are going on bounce back w/ free dining, we are planing on upgrading to deluxe dining, this will cost 800.00 so if anything we will cut this out.

Thanks guys for the Podcast every week it helps me get through the cold, miserable weather (right now we are forecasting 5 inches of sleet) up here in NH. To answer the poll I am going back in a few weeks only because I was able to get a heavily discounted stay. So, if the economic downturn continues to force disney to discount rates then I will continue to go if I can get deals. Like other posters i will probably just cut back on dining.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter