• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Those of you who thought Chester & Hester's . . .

wdw4us2

<font color=blue>Not only a DIS Vet, but a 33 year
Doesn't belong in a Disney Theme Park were absolutely correct, IMHO. We went to the AP party that Disney had there last night and were uniformly unimpressed. We were there with some friends and their kids. Why didn't we like it, you might ask? I think the kids in our group (ages 7-16) figured out the problem. At some point during the evening they all said, "I feel like I'm at the county fair, not WDW!" This was not stated in a happy tone. It was noisy, crowded and definitely not "unique", which we expect at a Disney Theme Park. While I realize that AK definitely needs something to make it a full day park, I dont think C&H's is it.

Lisa

Nothing like standing in line for 45 minutes for a free ice cream bar. We are new annual passholders, are all the events this horrible?

We were not at the AP event, but we were there in April and enjoyed the area.
We loved PW and TS is just as good as its common-parts Aladdin and Dumbo.
Sure it is simple, but at least it is an addition to the park.
Our onlyu complaint is that the games actually COST you money. I mean, we pay enough to get in the park and the prizes aren't even "disney".
JMHO.

Sorry to hear it was so busy. :)

Kamy

I was there last week and was so put off by it I didn't ride on anything or even play a game.(Although I did take lots of pictures :rolleyes: )

It was tacky to the point of being garish, and all I could do was say over and over again "what were they thinking?"

We went to it and had probably the worst night of all our times. They let way too many people into the event. All the cast members that we spoke to said that they were only expecting 5000 people but 15,000 + showed up. It was the biggest turn out they have had for all the AP press events. I hope Disney learns from the fiasco.

>>> They let way too many people into the event...

Were they all Passholders? If so they couldn't really turn them away except for fire safety reasons but it would have been a good idea to schedule a second party for AP holders willing to go away voluntarily and come back later.

I was at one of the Passholder parties at MGM at the Osborne light display, it did seem crowded but there were lots of cookie and cider stands and I did not see waits for those refreshments more than a couple of minutes.

More Disney tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

9/65 Disneyland
3/75 (World Inn* off I4 near DD)
4/85 (Kon-Tiki* on 192)
'80s Disneyland once or twice
7/94 POR
9/97 ASMu
11/98 ASMu, PAP #1
12/98 (Knights Inn on 192)
9/99 ASMo
12/00 ASSp, PAP #2
9/01 ASSp
11/01 ASSp
*no longer exists

Get on these forums faster! Bookmark www.disboards.com instead of wdwinfo.com.

We are APholders, and were there last week but did not go to the event. I think the parks were crowded all around on Saturday (at least more than the rest of the week, maybe more crowded than they were prepared for).
To each their own, I suppose, about Chester and Hester's. We rode the Primeval Whirl thing and strolled thru the area earlier in the week. We thought the themeing, while intentionally hokey, was cute. We got a huge kick out of the silly advertisement signs and slogans. The triceratops spin thing may seem dumb, but its the same idea as Dumbo and the Carpets, and I didn't see any of the eighty billion kids waiting in lines for those two rides complaining that it was stupid. We both looked around and thought it was pretty cute, and agreed that it was exactly the kind of goofy stuff that kids we know love. Plus, its DINOSAURS :) But then again, maybe we were having a good time and just happy to enjoy it or something. I just know it seeems like we've heard so much mad mad mad and bad bad bad and sad sad sad about the parks, and this area in particular, lately- but we didn't notice any of that. Different strokes, I suppose. Just wanted to throw in my two cents that not everyone hates it.

To those that went to the event, that totally stinks! Sorry you got stuck in lines for just free ice cream :( Sounds like that event wasn't very well planned at all.

We're supposed to understand that it's not a tacky and garish addition to park; it's really just carefully themed to evoke the nostalgic pleasure of a tacky, garish roadside attraction.

What percentage of guests will understand that distinction? And, for those few of who "get it," will it make any difference?

Check out theses comments from Steve "World Report" Halpin over at www.laughingplace.com :

John Mazzela from Disney Imagineering is here to do a presentation about Dinoland and Dinorama. He discusses how the design came about. And surprises the audience with the fact that Dinorama has been on the boards for four years. So much for the "they threw it together" theory. He also talks about the use of outside ride vendors for the ride but the many changes that Disney requires makes it a one of a kind ride. What’s next for the Animal Kingdom? He won't say. Nothing definite but several plans are being discussed. That’s all he will say.

Four years? Hmm.....I'm just thinking about Scoop's comments last week. Maybe he was on target.

Check out the article. Steve also talks about the good points and the mistakes that Disney made with this AP party. I for one applaud Disney for trying, but it looks like one of those things where management gave the crew of AK a very short leash to work on. This is what happens when you think short-sighted...

All the people that attended the passholder event on Saturday were Ap's or Seasonal. I enjoyed the theming of it because it is exactly what it is meant to be, a fair area. The rides seemed like Bob with the missing teeth and a beer gut out past his shoes put it together. All they need now is for some carney to ask the kids to go out to the nearest gas station and buy him some smokes.

I think Chester and Hester's Dinorama is really cute and kitch-y. Not everything in AK has to be serious, and this like Disney and the park poking fun at itself. I am hoping that they expand this area to include more kids and family attractions. I think it has definite potential!

The Primeval Whirl ride had a high height requirement so my son couldnt ride. For such a "cute" area obviously geared towards kids it seems really silly to put this ride here. (Especially when he was tall enough for Dinosaur). The Triceratops Whirl was okay, but my son was royally ticked off to be in the front seat and have only the tip controls while his sister in the back seat had the up down control. We had to wait in line an go again to satisfy him. This could have easily been explained prior to getting in the ride and buckling in, but was only mentioned on the speaker. The need to PAY to play the games really offended me as well, and ticked me off when my kids were begging to play. The res was funny and amusing, the signs made me laugh and the huge dinosaur wasone of my sons favorite pictures. But that was really all we found to do there last week.

Jennifer

I think $2 is too much considering the generic prizes.
We played the wackem game $4 and lost, then played the water shooter game $4 and I won.
We got a big dinosaur, who got to ride in the stroller the rest of the trip...Tasha never really cared about it and has never played/held it.
Considering that the prizes are worth about a $1 (real cost), and 6-12 people play, $2 generates way too much profit for this money making 'attraction'.
They should treat it like an 'attraction' and not a money maker, so people could come here and play carnival games, win carnival prizes without the carnival ripoff and scum.
I think it should maybe be $1 for an adult and .50 for a child to play (or less).

The carny games are the main reason I don't think this fits in a Disney Theme Park. For what you are paying to get in the park, I think it's ridiculous for them to expect you to fork over more $$. Fortunately, our DD and DS know better than to beg for money to play carny games, so we won't have to deal with that.

Lisa

You don't have to play the carney games but they are an integral part of the "tackiness" that is Chester & Hesters (like it or not). Further, there is no 'seedy' feeling to the area. The CM's do not 'bark' and pull you in, it is simply window dressing & IMO it sould be profitable.

Perhaps they should give away some tradtional Disney plushes, but thats the biggest change that I see as needed. Jeff, we had the opposite experience, my youngest won 2 dino's for $4 and sleeps with them every night now...So this truly will end up being personl prefernce..
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

We visited in Jan before PW was completed, But I have to say we enjoyed this area! I know DS5 looks forward to visiting it when we return this fall.

One of the things we enjoy about this area is that it doesn't jam some sort of Disney merchandising down your throat. Plain old dinosaurs that kids have loved for decades!

I know this is blasphemy, but isn't all of WDW tacky on some level? Fiberglas Europe? Castles? Mouse-eared Water towers? Giant concrete-and-latex trees to celebrate "nature"? We certainly know and understand all of this, and to us that just makes it that much more wonderful!

As for charging for the Carny games, perhaps all souvenirs should be cheaper, popcorn could be free (it's certainly cheap enough to make) and they could wash your car for you while you're in the parks. Or you could just choose not to pay the 2 bucks to play.

You are right on Peter Pirate. I think Chester and Hester's is a nice change from the traditional. And for those who spent the money on the games, Why!!!! You don't have to spend money to enjoy the atmosphere at Chester And Hester's in AK.
Nate

As for charging for the Carny games, perhaps all souvenirs should be cheaper, popcorn could be free
Sorry, there is a BIG difference here. This area is considered an 'attraction'. Well maybe they should charge $2 extra for Buzz Lightyear since it is a game where you shoot things?
If you want to compare things, then compare it to the shooting gallery, do they charge $2 a game?
Charging next to nothing in this area would keep it from being like a typical carny rip-off area and give parents and kids a chance to play these stupid games that they avoided elsewhere.

Originally posted by JeffH

Sorry, there is a BIG difference here. This area is considered an 'attraction'. Well maybe they should charge $2 extra for Buzz Lightyear since it is a game where you shoot things?
If you want to compare things, then compare it to the shooting gallery, do they charge $2 a game?
Charging next to nothing in this area would keep it from being like a typical carny rip-off area and give parents and kids a chance to play these stupid games that they avoided elsewhere.

Umm. Are there prizes for Buzz? The shooting gallery?

Is the arcade by Space Mountain free?

In WDW terms, 2 bucks IS next to nothing. Less than a Coke or even a water. The Dig Site is right next door, with plenty of free fun for all.

We enjoy the carny games, and the fact that they all seemed to be "winnable", not the rip-off games you find at the county fair.

Honestly, WDW is jam-packed with places that parents have to say "no" to their kids. Nearly every attraction dumps you unavoidably into a shop. I just don't see what the problem is with carnival games in an attraction area. If you don't like them, don't play them. If no one likes them, they'll soon go away. I'm betting they'll be around for a while.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter