? Those who combine Universal and Disney

and enjoy the hotel as well. This past summer we did Disney for the 1st time and we stayed 8 nights i thought it was perfect we'd get to the parks usually for opening and then head back to the resort late afternoon for dnr and pool time or just after dinner to relax and get to bed early - and then the nights we stayed for fireworks, slept in a bit!

I think with kids you need down time, and if i'm staying at a nice resort, i want to enjoy the pool etc.

Thanks everyone

lisa

That sounds like a good plan to me. Staying onsite at UO, you could technically do the parks in 2 days easily. That said, we like to stay at least 5 nights on property. We're thinking of upping it to 7 nights this summer. The longer stays certainly aren't for everyone, but there's so many others things to do, you won't get bored with a 3 night stay. We like to go to the parks for short intervals, then head back to the resort for some R&R.

I agree, and we're the same way. :) We are going for 5 nights next month, and 8 nights in October. We too like to go to the park for 3-4 hours at a time then go back to the hotel or City Walk or pool time.

day from opening to close to hit everything? Do the parks have any fireworks or parades in the evening?

day from opening to close to hit everything? Do the parks have any fireworks or parades in the evening?

Sorry, no help there. We've never tried it. I can say we've been there too many times to count, & still haven't seen all the shows. Did I mention we're laidback tourists? :rotfl2:

Nighttime shows depend on when you go. They're pretty much only during the summer or HHN. During those times, they usually have a fireworks spectacular. During Mardi Gras, there's a nighttime parade. I'm not sure if there's anything offered at night during other peak times (holidays) or not. If the parks close early, there won't be a show. There's typically only one park with nighttime entertainment, when it is offered.

there are parades on special events/seasons. no parades daily.

fireworks have been in the summer or when the park stays open to 10 pm.

yes, many of times i have been at the park from opening to closing.
can't get enough of it. still haven't covered everything in that time period.
if you include the shows, you have the wait time and show then the crowd to leave the show. easily one hour just doing one show at IOA.

i don't rush from one ride to another. i take my time so i can enjoy myself more.

if you only have a limited number of days, do the highlights of each park.
try to see some of city walk also.

how many days are you considering doing universal?

We're just back from 7 nights WDW followed by 2 nights RPR. It was our 1st Universal trip, so I'm certainly no expert on this. But, my peak season observations were that FOTL was not really an advantage compared to WDW's FP system. The reason is that during the busy season, everyone at the Universal resorts, plus everyone buying the Express Pass is getting the same "FOTL" access - - compared to WDW's metering system w/ the FPs, where only so many FPs are given out per day for a ride, and times are return times are scheduled to limit the number of returning riders. So while at WDW we waited in line maybe 10 minutes max using our FPs, at Universal it was 15 to 30. On 4/6, we waited 35 minutes for Jimmy Neutron, w/ all the other FOTL folks, and I kept reminiscing about WDW and the fewer FPs, but shorter waits. WDW took more planning, but it felt like I was in control. At WDW, I knew we had to be in the parks before opening each day to get the FPs we wanted. At US/IoA, I mistakenly thought FOTL meant we could take our time - Mistake! If it's a busy season, get there before opening and get to the attractions w/ no FOTL (like Pterodactyl Flyers -something like that name) ; and then hit the rides you most want to do.

During a less busy time, I imagine US/IoA could be paradise w/ the FOTL, but at peak season, I was wishing we had done US first, Disney last. WDW was more organized, better staffed, better controlled. We liked US/IoA very much, but concluded after this trip that Disney is a VERY tough act to follow.

Happy planning!

We're just back from 7 nights WDW followed by 2 nights RPR. It was our 1st Universal trip, so I'm certainly no expert on this. But, my peak season observations were that FOTL was not really an advantage compared to WDW's FP system. The reason is that during the busy season, everyone at the Universal resorts, plus everyone buying the Express Pass is getting the same "FOTL" access - - compared to WDW's metering system w/ the FPs, where only so many FPs are given out per day for a ride, and times are return times are scheduled to limit the number of returning riders. So while at WDW we waited in line maybe 10 minutes max using our FPs, at Universal it was 15 to 30. On 4/6, we waited 35 minutes for Jimmy Neutron, w/ all the other FOTL folks, and I kept reminiscing about WDW and the fewer FPs, but shorter waits. WDW took more planning, but it felt like I was in control. At WDW, I knew we had to be in the parks before opening each day to get the FPs we wanted. At US/IoA, I mistakenly thought FOTL meant we could take our time - Mistake! If it's a busy season, get there before opening and get to the attractions w/ no FOTL (like Pterodactyl Flyers -something like that name) ; and then hit the rides you most want to do.

During a less busy time, I imagine US/IoA could be paradise w/ the FOTL, but at peak season, I was wishing we had done US first, Disney last. WDW was more organized, better staffed, better controlled. We liked US/IoA very much, but concluded after this trip that Disney is a VERY tough act to follow.

Happy planning!

I can see where that would be an issue.

My problem with the fastpass in peak season is that I can never seem to get very many of them and although my actual time in line isn't that long, I don't seem to get very many rides done with the fastpass because I am waiting for my two hours to come up to either pick up another pass or use the one I've got. So I just go into the long standby lines to fill my waiting time. You must have a great system. With the express passes at Universal I can just jump from one express line into another express line for another ride.

Can you share your fastpass secrets since we'll be doing Disneyland in August and I need to figure the system out? I have heard that you should start collecting as much as you can in the morning and then just use them later past the return time. But then I also heard that CM's are cracking down on that too since it clogs up the lines in the afternoon.

Happy planning!

I'm surprised to read the EP lines were so bad. Not that I don't believe you, I do. It's just that we always go in the summer, & think the "magic" key is the greatest thing ever. We've never had to wait in really long lines. The parks are usually pretty crowded then. In our experience, staying onsite at UO beats WDW's FP system by a mile. Thanks to your experience, we'll be avoiding Spring Break at the parks though.

My problem with the fastpass in peak season is that I can never seem to get very many of them and although my actual time in line isn't that long, I don't seem to get very many rides done with the fastpass because I am waiting for my two hours to come up to either pick up another pass or use the one I've got.

You do better than we do. I've never thought the FP line at WDW is shorter the UO's express line. Unlike some, I do think FP at WDW is better than having to stand in the long lines of old. I just don't think it compares to UO's EP.

Don't forget that if you stay in one of the Loew's hotels then you can pool hop to the other two. I keep stressing this but being able to enjoy the other pools was one of the nicest features to us.

Can you share your fastpass secrets since we'll be doing Disneyland in August and I need to figure the system out? I have heard that you should start collecting as much as you can in the morning and then just use them later past the return time. But then I also heard that CM's are cracking down on that too since it clogs up the lines in the afternoon.

Damo - For both of our WDW trips I followed Tourguidemike's advice and got some valuable tips from him re: busiest days, recommended order of the attractions to get FPs for and which to ride standby etc. I found it extremely helpful, especially during this past Spring break. I don't know a thing about D'Land tho. Basically what you suggest is the way to go: FP as early and often as possible, esp. to the most popular attractions. I'll send you a PM w/ some other info. We did not have a problem using late FPs, even on Soarin'. I knew this could be a risk, but w/ those crowds it was worth taking!

I disagree that Disneys fastpass is better, the metering makes it worse IMO. Test track seems to always be 30 mins, no matter what. The fastpasses are metered so that the line is always around the same. Yes, the express pass line can ebb and flow, esp. if a large show has just let out, but MOST of the time they are very short (5 min) even in peak season. I just got back from spring break, and with the exception of Saturday (mardi gras) express pass lines were less than 10 mins every time. IF they are long, you can just skip them and come back later, because you have plenty of time, and the parks not so huge that that would be difficult. Plus, if you just had a blast on a very fun ride...you can ride it again! No way to do that with fastpass. As far as waiting in express line for shows, such as Terminator, or Sinbad, you have to wait for the next show, no way to do anything about that.

I had an amazing 14 days last Jan. I stayed on Disney site, since my sister has points for DVC... we were my BIL, Sis, Hubby, the 2 kids and I... we went to US-IOA 2 days, 1 day Sea World, 1 day Discovery Cove and 10 days at Disney... We rented a car and did some groceries for the room... I just wanted to say how much I loved US-IOA, it was fun. We did Disney at the end, because that's where my heart is... with Disney! But I really enjoyed every park that we visited... I love Orlando and can't wait to go back!

You might want to check out www.ridemax.com. I forget how much it costs but it's fun to play around with and can help with your DL touring plans.

We split the two during our last trip and visited Universal first and then Disney. We actually found Universal to be more tiring than Disney but I think it's because we've been to WDW a lot. At WDW we know when and how to visit attractions and we just enjoy our favorites whereas at Universal, it's still fairly new for us so we tend to run wild. :)

Our first split trip we flew into Orlando and used Mears between resorts and airport. We did call a taxi for transport between Universal and WDW and it was SO expensive. I understand that you can make arrangements with Mears or the limousine services though.

We stayed offsite at Universal at the Holiday Inn during this first trip and that was even more tiring. They have a shuttle as do some of the other offsite hotels but their times are limited so we would often walk. It was quite a walk at the end of the day and crossing the huge busy road between the two was quite an experience!

Most of us regulars will tell you ... DO WDW FIRST! And Universal second.

Gotta agree. It is hard for someone who has only ever done a WDW vacation to understand how wonderfully relaxing an onsite Universal stay is. It's a real vacation, even with the theme parks. Everything is easy and close at hand. No worrying about lines, busses, ADRs, etc. etc.

Also, with respect to another post (mulan) in this thread, we were at Universal several days in late March, a very busy "spring break" time. We had Express Passes and found it to be wonderful. Much better than FP, because no criss crossing the park, no waiting for windows to open, got to do rides in the order WE wanted, not in the order I thought crowds would form. (and we use TGM and UG) Even better would have been FOTL!

Hi there. I haven't read all of the replies above, but I will give you my 2 cents worth. We just returned from a Florida vacation yesterday -- and here's the layout of our days:

**Flew Allegiant (see if they come to your city). Direct flights, great rates. Savings from this more than paid for a car rental for our 10 day vacation.

**Rented car from Alamo. Drove from Sanford (Allegiant only goes there).

**Stayed at WDW Pop Century for 4 nights with the DDP (had some great/fun meals!) and visited WDW parks for 4 days.

** Moved off-property to Holiday Inn Express Lake Buena Vista for 6 nights. Went to Universal/Islands of Adventure for 2 days and also spent 1 day at Sea World.

** Ended the vacation with 2 days back at WDW. Parkhopper tickets are good for 14 days from first day of usage.

This way we started and ended with WDW -- which is our favorite. We really wanted to try the DDP, but only for part of the vacation. It really is a ton of food -- and if you are going to other places, it doesn't make much sense to have the meal plan for the entire time. Unfortunately, DDP is only available to people staying on-property, and you must have it for your entire stay, so this is why we switched to another hotel. It was a bit of a nuisance to move hotels, but this worked best for our family.

We had no need for Express passes at US -- the longest we waited in any line was 10 minutes. Both parks seemed practically empty. We are glad we went once, but won't return.

Hope that helps. Have fun planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter