Those who love the Signature restaurants....

Beachmom0317

DIS Veteran
Ok call me a lush but we love the Siggies haha

We're staying at Beach Club using our DVC for 6 nights in April. I was planning on going to Topolinos and Yachtsman for dinner. I do love the prepaid feeling of the DDP! I tend to be the one on vacation who is like OMG the price tag...

We also love the refillable mugs! Our son is 9 so this is the last year we'll consider DDP. (it's husband, myself and our two kids under 9)

If you are doing the DDP and love your signatures what are your plans? I think we can all agree using 2 credits isn't a great use of the DDP. Will you just pay out of pocket for the signature when you go? Skip the signatures all together? I'm thinking maybe I'll pay out of pocket those two nights for dinner and maybe do a character breakfast or something to use the TS credit I wouldn't use that night? We're APs so I don't intend on being in park all day, prob just a few hours each day.

My other option- and unfortunately this is what will likely make the most financial sense- is to put all the money I would spend on DDP and buy Disney gift cards at BJs. I would also use my AP/DVC discount at any restaurants that accept those.

We love the DDP for the same reason you do and used it on every trip before COVID paused it! In our experience, it was just easier to pay OOP for any dining experience that required two credits. We just hated keeping track of switching around credits and sometimes we'd do a trip with a Signature meal and we'd get to the end of the trip and realize we had budgeted everything wrong and we were missing a credit for the last dinner we booked. We did the same thing you did: we'd book a character meal or other breakfast with the TS credit for the day and pay OOP for the Signature dinner.

Given how we eat on vacation in all probability we will drop the dining plan as it seems Signature full dinners are no longer included and continue staying CL for light breakfasts and other meals. The refill cups really mean nothing to me as we normally drink club soda or water throughout the day.

We'd forget about the DDP, buy gift cards in a similar amount as to what you would've spent on DDP, buy a couple mugs for the kids, and charge meals to your room. Before you check out, use the gift cards to pay it off. With the gift cards, it's sorta like pre-paying - and you'll probably come out a few dollars ahead.

We'd forget about the DDP, buy gift cards in a similar amount as to what you would've spent on DDP, buy a couple mugs for the kids, and charge meals to your room. Before you check out, use the gift cards to pay it off. With the gift cards, it's sorta like pre-paying - and you'll probably come out a few dollars ahead.
Just wondering- how is paying by gift card or c/c different? Is there a benefit I’m missing?

Just assuming the OP was referring to an opportunity to purchase gift cards at a slight discount - probably save 5% or so.... That would be the only benefit over credit cards (assuming the cc is paid off without interest!)!

Just assuming the OP was referring to an opportunity to purchase gift cards at a slight discount - probably save 5% or so.... That would be the only benefit over credit cards (assuming the cc is paid off without interest!)!
Thanks for the info! My credit card companies hate me as I never carry a monthly balance but it might be interesting to collect that 5%.

Ok call me a lush but we love the Siggies haha

We're staying at Beach Club using our DVC for 6 nights in April. I was planning on going to Topolinos and Yachtsman for dinner. I do love the prepaid feeling of the DDP! I tend to be the one on vacation who is like OMG the price tag...

We also love the refillable mugs! Our son is 9 so this is the last year we'll consider DDP. (it's husband, myself and our two kids under 9)

If you are doing the DDP and love your signatures what are your plans? I think we can all agree using 2 credits isn't a great use of the DDP. Will you just pay out of pocket for the signature when you go? Skip the signatures all together? I'm thinking maybe I'll pay out of pocket those two nights for dinner and maybe do a character breakfast or something to use the TS credit I wouldn't use that night? We're APs so I don't intend on being in park all day, prob just a few hours each day.

My other option- and unfortunately this is what will likely make the most financial sense- is to put all the money I would spend on DDP and buy Disney gift cards at BJs. I would also use my AP/DVC discount at any restaurants that accept those.
This is why I wish they would bring back the deluxe plan …

I like signature dinning, and three entitlements worked perfectly.

Without a deluxe plan I have been using the Dvc /Ap discount. Not as great of a deal, as the DDDP but in the long run was ok.

Moving forward we may do the dinning plan and pay cash when they run out ?

And continue to lobby to have the deluxe plan reinstated

Thanks for the info! My credit card companies hate me as I never carry a monthly balance but it might be interesting to collect that 5%.
And if you have a credit card that offers cash back, buy the discounted gift cards with that and benefit from both!

Yes! I would buy Disney GC at a discount at BJs. It's a store similar to Sam's Club/Costco. I live in Massachusetts

Thanks for the replies! This is helpful to see what others are planning to do. I don't want to give up my Topolinos rigatoni or the husband's googley eyes when he walks into Yachtsman and sees the steak room lol!

Thanks for the replies! This is helpful to see what others are planning to do. I don't want to give up my Topolinos rigatoni or the husband's googley eyes when he walks into Yachtsman and sees the steak room lol!
Then don't give up Topolinos or Yachtsman if that's what you enjoy!! You can do them with or without a dining plan! Hope you get the ADRs you want when you book them next month!

So we have been skipping things like LC, YS, BOG and CRT because they are $70-$80 each x 8 and after tax it is $600-$700. Divide that by 2 credits needed and that's $300-$350. There are many places we like to eat that cost us $200 or less OOP (B&C, WCC, Sci-Fi, Rainforest, etc) so we plan to pay for those OOP and then use our credits for signatures, character dining and 1 credit TS that cost over $300.

So we have been skipping things like LC, YS, BOG and CRT because they are $70-$80 each x 8 and after tax it is $600-$700. Divide that by 2 credits needed and that's $300-$350. There are many places we like to eat that cost us $200 or less OOP (B&C, WCC, Sci-Fi, Rainforest, etc) so we plan to pay for those OOP and then use our credits for signatures, character dining and 1 credit TS that cost over $300.
BOG and CRT
Are not signature dinning ….

Or all that good really, for the price

And if you have a credit card that offers cash back, buy the discounted gift cards with that and benefit from both!
We are opening a new card for the sub and those signature restaurants will go a long way taking care of that spend!

We may be in those boat but we have the dining plan for free essentially. We have a split stay and only have the dining plan for the first half I think. so I may book the signatures for either the very first day of the first split stay or just for the second half.

BOG and CRT
Are not signature dinning ….

Or all that good really, for the price

I was speaking to our plan for 2 TS credit places in general. I know what they are, which is why I said signature and character dining. We have been to both multiple times and enjoy them as much as any other place, but will only do them on the dining plan.

Welp you have just opened a can of worms and now I need to crunch numbers again. What you're saying makes sense. So for my case- we are planning on going to San Angel and Sebastian's which are cheaper 1 TS credit places. We could order some apps only San Angel and pay OOP for Sebastian's since it's a cheaper buffer ($39 for adults I think?!) and then use 2 credits at Topolinos or Yachtsman? I gotta crunch my #s but good suggestion!

Also if you love BOG and CRT go where it makes you happy! Some will say it's not the best food. I won't judge...I'll be at chef mickeys dinner haha

Welp you have just opened a can of worms and now I need to crunch numbers again. What you're saying makes sense. So for my case- we are planning on going to San Angel and Sebastian's which are cheaper 1 TS credit places. We could order some apps only San Angel and pay OOP for Sebastian's since it's a cheaper buffer ($39 for adults I think?!) and then use 2 credits at Topolinos or Yachtsman? I gotta crunch my #s but good suggestion!

Also if you love BOG and CRT go where it makes you happy! Some will say it's not the best food. I won't judge...I'll be at chef mickeys dinner haha
I wouldn't pay 25 cents to go to Sebastian's. It was by far the worst restaurant I have ever been to at WDW - EVER. We were really looking forward to it and it was awful, from food to service. I will say the dessert was good. May have been a bad night because I know many love it, but I would never eat there again, even for free. But yes, definitely crunch some numbers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter