Those who travel (overnight) for work

I rarely travel for work and when I do I am in a group with at least one other person.

As a result I always had someone to hang out with, eat dinner, do some sightseeing.

I don't get to travel for work often and when I do there's usually a coworker asked to volunteer to make sure I get to and from our lodging safely due to my seizures (I had a seizure and severe migraine during a multi-region conference one year and since then a buddy system has been implemented for my safety).

With that in mind, I tend to stay in the hotel after training because I absolutely don't want to be a burden on whoever has volunteered to be my "buddy" that week.

flying in Sunday night......off the clock, so without pay........but they would pick up the tab for dinner and a movie and of course an extra night in the hotel.
That was possibly illegal (not paying for travel).

Union contract allowed it. And it was only allowed if the employees requested it.
Union doesn't overrule a law. I'm sure someone could have fought it if they wanted to.

Think about it, someone stays an extra hour to finish a project. If they "requested" it, the employer doesn't have to pay them?

That was possibly illegal (not paying for travel).
Generally if you are a passenger and it is outside of your normal working hours, the company does not need to pay you for that time.

When I travel I usually read in the evenings. My downtime is never more than a couple of hours though, the days are generally pretty long.

Generally if you are a passenger and it is outside of your normal working hours, the company does not need to pay you for that time.
If that's the law, that's bad (IMO). You're still doing something for the company, you should be paid.

If that's the law, that's bad (IMO). You're still doing something for the company, you should be paid.
This actually only applies to people who are paid hourly.
Are there really that many people traveling overnight for work who are paid hourly? (serious question)

Maybe my view is skewed, but everyone I know who travels overnights for work on a regular basis is paid salary. So, it doesn't really matter how many hours you put in per day or whether you travel (or even work) on the weekends. You are getting paid the same regardless.

Union doesn't overrule a law. I'm sure someone could have fought it if they wanted to.

Think about it, someone stays an extra hour to finish a project. If they "requested" it, the employer doesn't have to pay them?
Well, collective bargaining agreements often differ from the law. That's one of reasons collective bargaining agreements exist, to spell out working conditions that differ from what the law requires. And it isn't like we weren't being compensated. We traded 3-4 hours of overtime for traveling on our day off for a $50 meal stipend and an extra night in the hotel. I was making $5.50 an hour at the time, so just the meal stipend was more than the wage I would have earned. And I didn't have to get up at 3 am on Monday morning to catch a 6 am flight to be in LA at 7 am and at my assignment by 8 am, I could sleep a few hours later and get up at 7 am.

Some museums stay open later one or two nights during the week. For example our local art museum is free and open until 9pm on Wednesdays and Fridays. If you are religious and your preferred denomination commonly offers weeknight activities you could attend in the city you are where you are travelling. You could pick up a portable hobby like crochet, knitting, maybe water colors.

Well, collective bargaining agreements often differ from the law. That's one of reasons collective bargaining agreements exist, to spell out working conditions that differ from what the law requires. And it isn't like we weren't being compensated. We traded 3-4 hours of overtime for traveling on our day off for a $50 meal stipend and an extra night in the hotel. I was making $5.50 an hour at the time, so just the meal stipend was more than the wage I would have earned. And I didn't have to get up at 3 am on Monday morning to catch a 6 am flight to be in LA at 7 am and at my assignment by 8 am, I could sleep a few hours later and get up at 7 am.

IDK, but it seems unusual that a collective bargaining agreement has the power in and of itself to override protections afforded by law. Generally the law is the baseline, the minimum standard and a collective bargaining agreement asks for further protections and benefits.

I don't do as much business travel as I did before changing divisions.

Some trips sent me to not-so-nice areas. One time I came out to my rental to find a used condom and an empty bottle of alcohol next to it. Ew x 1000. Years ago I was in the Minneapolis area. I had a friend who lived locally and went to his house for dinner. When I was done at the client's office the next day, I had so much free time that I went to Mall of America, shopped, had lunch, played solo mini golf, went to the aquarium, and watched a movie. I was out of the mall before dark.

Normally, my clients need so much one-on-one attention that I spend my evenings in my room with the TV on catching up on everything I was forced to put aside.

Windering what you do in your downtime.

My current job has me traveling about 25% of the year. I'm by myself. At the work site for most of the day, take off around 4-5, depending on how things go.

If the weather is decent, I'll try to find a park and go for a 1-2 mile walk. If it's not good, I try to find a mall and do a couple laps.

Most sight seeing things are closed (or closing soon) by then. Plus, I'm cheap unless it's something I'm REALLY interested in.

The rest of the time is sitting in the hotel watching Netflix or other streaming.

I'm not a big drinker, so sitting at a bar isn't my idea of "fun" (at least by myself). I don't dance (cue HSM fans), and am not nearly as athletic as I should be (no longer golf... I sucked when I WAS playing).

Anyway, what do you do to kill evenings?
Prior to covid, I traveled 2-3 days per week. My company had 50+ manufacturing locations around the country, so it took a lot of time getting around to them. Honestly... it depends on the job.

I had a traveling partner, so we'd arrive and set up for training sessions, meet with plant staff, etc. That night the two of us would just grab a bite and a brew or 4. Second night, we'd most likely have dinner with management or team members. The non-forced team building like this really pays off.

Other trips where it was just me and there was no training or manufacturing trials to run... it would be quite different. I'd find a restaurant I'd like and have a meal and a beer. I might go shopping for stuff for the kids if the town was worth it. If I'm in a beach town, I'm going to the beach. If I am near a theme park, I check to see if they have ticket deals for just the afternoon. I might find a way to get to a museum or something cool. I've seen all the museums in Chicago thanks to this. I've seen the biggest ball of twine in Minnesota. ;-)

One thing that job also required was a metric ton of trade shows. I spent 5 weeks in Vegas one year. I don't gamble outside of playing a slot machine at times, so I'd exhaust options for touristy things, dinner, and some nights nothing at all. Even those nights I would get antsy and end up somewhere, even if just drinking a beer and watching a game. I like to people watch and chat.

My job prior to this was international, and the trips were 1-3 weeks instead of a few days. I'd find a step on/off bus tour in a city, find some must-do restaurants and museums, or maybe just enjoy the beach or a hike. In every country we had an office, the hosts were always very excited to play tour guide and show off their city.

I find that the time spent with co-workers (or clients or whatever) like this can be invaluable. When you travel, is it not an option to have some informal time with folks to build rapport?

Since covid? I barely travel at all, just a few times per year plus a couple trade shows. I miss the travel from time to time, but I missed my oldest kid's birthday every year for 12 years because of it.

I find that the time spent with co-workers (or clients or whatever) like this can be invaluable. When you travel, is it not an option to have some informal time with folks to build rapport?
Nope, I've been pretty much on my own since training (over a year ago). I do think it would be nice to have a travelling partner at least occasionally, but can't justify the cost.

Nope, I've been pretty much on my own since training (over a year ago). I do think it would be nice to have a travelling partner at least occasionally, but can't justify the cost.
What I mean is, when you travel... you are traveling to meet with people, I assume? Is it not an option to spend the evening with someone from that company, for instance?

I get it, though. I spend 1 week a month in another city where we had an office. Don't ask me where all the time came from, it's nuts... but most nights where it was just me, I'd grab dinner and head back to the hotel. But I don't mind sitting at a bar just for the experience.

IDK, but it seems unusual that a collective bargaining agreement has the power in and of itself to override protections afforded by law. Generally the law is the baseline, the minimum standard and a collective bargaining agreement asks for further protections and benefits.
Well, the compensation offered is greater than the salary, so technically it is a step up.
But, I am not a lawyer and it appears even today collective bargaining contracts can differ from labor law. Currently in California EVERY worker is required to get a meal break of at least 30 minutes, that break can't be taken before you have worked 3 hours, and can't be taken without penalty after 5 hours. You can not waive your meal break, or take at the beginning or end of your work day. My non-union shop followed that the law to the letter, after paying to pay penalties for not doing so. My wife's shop was union, and the company, the union and the employees all voted to allow workers to waive a meal break and work 8 straight without penalty. It's been in their contract for years now, and a whole lot of lawyers were involved in putting that in the contract, and so far, 10 years or so later, it has not been challenged.

What I mean is, when you travel... you are traveling to meet with people, I assume? Is it not an option to spend the evening with someone from that company, for instance?
It is. And depending on who I'm working with, I have gone to lunch with them. USUALLY my day ends at least 30-60 minutes before theirs. It's kind of hard (for me) to say "hey, you want to go get a drink?". I also know what it's like being on the other side, and having family (or other) obligations, and just want to separate from work.
I have gone to lunch a bunch.

Well, the compensation offered is greater than the salary, so technically it is a step up.
But, I am not a lawyer and it appears even today collective bargaining contracts can differ from labor law. Currently in California EVERY worker is required to get a meal break of at least 30 minutes, that break can't be taken before you have worked 3 hours, and can't be taken without penalty after 5 hours. You can not waive your meal break, or take at the beginning or end of your work day. My non-union shop followed that the law to the letter, after paying to pay penalties for not doing so. My wife's shop was union, and the company, the union and the employees all voted to allow workers to waive a meal break and work 8 straight without penalty. It's been in their contract for years now, and a whole lot of lawyers were involved in putting that in the contract, and so far, 10 years or so later, it has not been challenged.

I didn't say collective bargaining agreements couldn't differ from labor law. I said I find it unusual that a collective bargaining agreement would (or could) override labor laws, as the laws are usually the minimum and collective bargaining usually asks for more protections and more compensation. Not a lawyer, but a quick search returned multiple results a bit different than what you outlined regarding breaks and lunches, including several from CA government sources.

Last time I traveled for work was to send me to a conference in Orlando. You can guess where I spent my evenings. It wasn't to all other happy hours I got invited to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter