• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thoughts about new CDC guidelines and how it might affect your Disney vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You hit the nail on the head with what you said. We are so accustomed to doing all these things for 15 months, that our minds kinda get screwed up when thinking about being normal, because we have been in this routine. Even knowing you are safe, it will take some time to get out of it and feel " normal "

This - exactly!!!

I think one of the issues is that because mask-wearing has became the norm for most people, they have served as a kind of "security blanket". My family has worn them as recommended/required, including for a WDW trip, but I was actually surprised by two reactions I had when I saw the new CDC mask guidance for people who are vaccinated. My first thought was absolute joy at the prospect of no longer needing to wear masks, and then I actually got a little nervous at the thought, which was a very surprising feeling to me! After thinking about it, I realized that as much as I disliked wearing them due to the physical discomfort they caused (maybe not for everyone but for me they do), masks had become a kind of security blanket. I have to let my rational thought go to work now and trust the vaccine to do its job.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the CDC numbers last night, and as of the end of April 2021, there have been 277 deaths nationwide of children 0-17, vs. 557,000+ people total. That's .05% of all deaths are in the 0-17 age group. No information on how many had underlying health issues. Just a very small risk level, it appears.

I believe i read that in 2019 more children died of the flu and that’s with a vaccine. They really have a very small risk level.

but are we really ready to just whip the masks off and go about our days?
Yes... Absolutely yes... So much yes I cannot even express it lol. I've been wearing an n95 mask 10 hrs a day at work and then a cloth mask every where else for 15 months. I absolutely will gladly burn every single one of them as soon as I get the word I don't have to wear them at work. I am vaccinated and I cannot wait to not have to wear one of these stupid things, but work requires them for now.

Headed down for my third covid-era trip in a few weeks. Honestly, I'm not concerned about myself (vaccinated, first trip with some dining reservations!) but I am worried about CMs. It really stinks to have to deal with crowds that are rising, staff numbers that won't be reinforced until mid-June, and people that have really, really strong feelings about not complying with current stated policy. If anything, I hope new guidance makes it easier for CMs to enforce or clearer for guests to comply (masking indoors only, maybe?)

The excuse for states to close down businesses and place restrictions has always been that they are following the science. It will be interesting to see what happens next.
This is a very fair statement. But, unfortunately, some states and their governors, have kept emergency powers citing science but actually relying on public opinion. How do I know? I work for a local governmental body and closely with our local health department and I see the cases and vaccination rates on a daily basis. I keep myself quite informed and even though I'm not a medical professional, but rather an attorney, I do listen to what the medical professional say and then what the bureaucrats (like myself) say to the chief executives. These are two different things.

First, the new CDC guidance for vaccinated people is long, long overdue. Period. The CDC, whether intentionally or not, has done one of the worst marketing and p.r. jobs regarding vaccines and how to live our lives in a more normal fashion vis-a-vis the COVID-19 virus. That being said, I give the CDC credit for getting it right now. It may be late but it is doing the right thing for vaccinated people.

Second, the logistical problem WDW has is with the CDC guidance still requiring masks for public transportation. So, demasking at all times at WDW for vaccinated folks is not actually advised because the CDC still recommends masks for folks on a boat, bus or monorail, etc. For all I know IASW is a mode of public transportation? I haven't read the guidance as to how it defines public transportation. WD Parks is going to have to wrestle with these logistical issues. Can these issues be resolved in a fair and smart manner. The short answer is yes. But, I imagine it will take several weeks to get it squared away from a policy standpoint.

Any way you slice it, the WDW experience is going to be better for many folks. Also, this is extremely good news for WD Company and all of America. And, if you think I'm being short-sighted because I'm vaxxed and others are not, let me share with you that my DD is immuno-compromised and there is a chance she cannot ever get the COVID-19 vaccination even though she is age eligible. She is in the vast minority of people with underlying medical conditions that may be a barrier to vaccination, but her issues shouldn't be a barrier to a return to the normalcy of our lives pre-COVID-19. Because, frankly, there are far too many other viruses to worry about in addition to COVID-19.

And here I already thought it was crazy keeping up on the news for my Memorial Day trip. With this announcement and Chapek’s comments I legitimately don’t know what things will be like in 2 weeks time. I’m honestly a lot more terrified about crowds now than I was 2 days ago.
I'm the same! We leave next Friday, driving down. I'm already concerned about the gas thing. Now I'm concerned about capacity increasing, which I can't find real information about. Has it happened already (one article said it started yesterday), or is it going to happen soon (another article said not until June 15). Everything is so confusing right now. I'm starting to not feel excited about this.

The more I think about it, the less I’m worried about masks going away. What I am worried about is the crowds at the parks. With park capacity increasing, they need to increase ride capacity, open up the shows, and open up more restaurants. They can’t do the latter two overnight. CMs need to be hired and retrained. Shows need to be rehearsed. In the absence of Fast Passes, it is crucial to do these things in order to manage the larger numbers that will be coming.

I'm thrilled about this news. We are leaving in 2 weeks for our cross-country road trip to WDW. My kids (ages 12 and 14) are getting their first vaccine on 5/20, so part way through the WDW portion of our trip, they'll have some immunity. If WDW has their mask requirements still operational during our trip, we will abide by the rules.

But if they eliminate the masking requirement before or during our trip, we will be over the moon excited over it.

That being said, YDD wants to take a bunch of photos with her mask on so we can remember this trip as "remember the time we went to Disney World in the middle of a pandemic?"

My speculation is they'll make masks outdoors optional until Fall which will likely coincide with kids under 12 being able to get the vaccine. Once that happens then they'll remove the entire mandate. And it works out nicely for them because that also lines up with the 50th. Once everyone has access to the vaccine that's when they'll ditch the indoor mask rule.

If people choose not to get themselves or their kids vaccinated, that risk is on them. Once the vaccines are available to all ages I for one think it's time to ditch these restrictions and leave it up to the individual. They're making the choice to refuse vaccine protection and I don't think that should prevent steps back to normalcy.

I'm very excited about the likelihood of outdoor masking being gone for our trip in June. That summer heat is no joke! I understand what parents might be feeling though, if my son wasn't getting vaccinated tomorrow (yippee!) I wouldn't feel too comfortable about taking those risks if the indoor masking was removed. But I think it's safe to say it's only gonna be outdoors at first.

Really hoping that at least the outdoor mask requirement is gone for our end of June/July 4th trip. I think it will be. Admittedly, my first reaction was a little more cautious, but having given it some thought, this is what the science tells us, and this is what we have all been waiting for and what we have struggled to get to over the past 15 months. This is a great thing. Amazing, really, when you think about how long it typically takes to develop a vaccine. That we are already at this point is truly fantastic.

That being said, my daughter is 15 and getting her first shot TODAY, so she will be fully vaccinated by our trip. I might feel differently if I had a younger child. The risk is very, very small, but I'm not going to judge any parent for their choices.

I'm glad to see things moving along. I have followed all the guidelines diligently... I want to keep people safe, hospitals below capacity etc. BUT... with vaccines in place, there comes a time where life has to get back to normal. It is a person's choice to get a vaccine to protect themselves, it's also their right to wear a mask to protect themselves. If they choose not to, they accept the consequences. It's risk/reward management. We can't live in constant fear. Eventually we have to move forward. The worst is behind us.

It's a wonderful positive outlook and Im with you. But and it's a huge but, until the under 12 crowd can choose to be vaccinated they are at much greater risk when unvaccinated adults and older children are allowed to enter WDW. We are beating the head horse over and over here but thats why it's not a perfect throw you mask in the air party just yet. A very important demographic is being ignored in that equation.

As I said early, we'll take our lumps and cancel if we have to. I do expect Disney/DVC to allow my points to return to their use year and not go into holding though, if I have to make a last minute call based in a WDW policy change.

I really think that the case numbers for kids needs to be repeatedly mentioned in the media so that people stop freaking out about their kids catching something that is LESS fatal than the flu for those 12 and under. (And even 17 and under)

The media’s done a bang-up job of publicizing practically every one of the RARE serious cases in kids because let’s face it, that’s what gets viewers/clicks. However the end result is a large part of the population being scared of something that is simply NOT statistically dangerous.

People should also remember that currently they are only testing a vaccine down to age 2 - so even when that is approved will the argument then be “think of the babies!” even though they have a minuscule chance of serious illness?

Last edited:
I have always tried to follow the rules- we wore masks in Universal last July. When we went to Legoland that same week, where mask were suggested, but not required, we did not wear them outside when socially distanced, which was pretty much all the time. We tried to stay safe (and neither of us contracted Covid) we carried masks to put on in church, in stores, or in crowds. I am going to stop, because we have to realize as scientists say, we are not going to end this virus, only manage it. I will continue to wash my hands, use sanitizer and not get close to people I don't know if possible. My husband and I were fully vaccinated as soon as we could be so. Those who choose not to can take their chances without making me have to continue to wear masks or not hug friends. Children are at a low risk, although there is some risk, but less risk than from seasonal flu as I understand it. No comfort for parents who have lost kids to either, but again, we are almost to the point of having the virus managed as much as we can. I hope more people get vaccinated, but I stop short of saying vaccines should be required. I will respect anyone who decides they want to continue to wear masks, but I am ready to to "come out of the cave", as I have heard it described. That's one reason I got the vaccine-also to stay alive of course! But the life I lived last year was not very fulfilling, only surviving.

We are currently debating our children getting vaccinated because I got very ill after my second vaccine . We would not hesitate to go to disneyworld even without them being vaccinated, with or without masks. Most children are not high risk and I think Disney recognizes that.

Makes sense, since the temperature checks are going away.

Temperature checks were just there to make people feel safer, there are/were WAY too many asymptomatic people in the population for them to work well.

I'm sure it kept some idiots who had a fever and felt it was their right to do whatever they wanted from getting into stores, theme parks, work, etc., but I like to think that most people use their brains and don't go out in public when they're sick...

The more I think about it, the less I’m worried about masks going away. What I am worried about is the crowds at the parks. With park capacity increasing, they need to increase ride capacity, open up the shows, and open up more restaurants. They can’t do the latter two overnight. CMs need to be hired and retrained. Shows need to be rehearsed. In the absence of Fast Passes, it is crucial to do these things in order to manage the larger numbers that will be coming.

This is exactly where I've landed after having a day to mull this over. Like another poster said above, my knee jerk reaction was surprisingly worry - but that's just because this risk has been ingrained in all of us over the past year+. Wife and I are fully vaccinated and by the time our quick June trip rolls around, my 12 year old will be a week past 2nd shot (which I know isn't 100% vaccinated, but I feel good about it) and my 9 year old won't be vaccinated at all but he'll wear a mask where needed, and he doesn't mind at all.

So one way or the other the mask thing is less and less of an issue for me. It's the crowd/capacity part I'm worried about - especially since it seems increasing park capacity is already starting to outpace the reopening areas and staffing increases that are needed to handle these extra people.

I'm happy that the mask requirements look to be lessening at the very least.

Will be very happy if it is gone by our December trip.

I would just suggest you double-check your stats on Florida. If you use the CDC covid tracker, Florida is less (per 100k people) than Michigan, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, etc.
Still way more per 100k than where I live and way fewer % vaccinated than where I live. And they have the highest raw numbers. As I said, CA has nearly double the people but half the cases. I'm not comfortable with where FL is right now if people are gonna be unmasked. If I had a trip planned to MI, MN, PA, I would feel the same way. But I don't.

Headed down for my third covid-era trip in a few weeks. Honestly, I'm not concerned about myself (vaccinated, first trip with some dining reservations!) but I am worried about CMs. It really stinks to have to deal with crowds that are rising, staff numbers that won't be reinforced until mid-June, and people that have really, really strong feelings about not complying with current stated policy. If anything, I hope new guidance makes it easier for CMs to enforce or clearer for guests to comply (masking indoors only, maybe?)
The worry I have is that if masks are required indoors only, are they gonna have a CM at every ride where the queue goes from indoors to outdoors to check this? At the entrance of every store, bathroom, restaurant? And how will enforcement be? I've already heard many CMs have been burned out with the current policy that is quite clear cut. This is another gray area for them to have to enforce. How many people are going to argue with them now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter