Thoughts from 2/15 visit

goodeats

DIS Veteran
I have not stepped into Disneyland park since 2/1/17. I was a long AP holder before that, but kids getting older, busy schedules, and increased prices had me take a break. Our family went to WDW last summer so I did get my Disney fix, and to be honest the total cost was probably around or even less than what we would have spent at DLR over the year.

The SoCal tickets were the perfect opportunity to visit again. I purchased the 3 days one park tickets with MaxPass for my daughters and I (ages 9 and 7). I didn't opt for parkhoppers because I figured there was enough to keep us busy in DL for two days and DCA for one. The siren song of Radiator Springs Racers and TSMM always keeps us from seeing the smaller Disneyland attractions, so it was nice not to be able to go to DCA yesterday. We actually made it to Tom Sawyer Island, which the girls loved.

Anyway, my thoughts:
* Parking, security and the tram were quick and easy. I was a little annoyed we had to park on the roof when we got to the park so early, but que sera. We had to go back to the car after dinner to get bigger jackets, and it took way less time than I anticipated.

* The park looked beautiful, and we had very few attraction malfunctions. I have never seen Indy work so well. I loved the reworkings of Adventureland (moving the strollers to the old fruit bazaar and moving the fruit bazaar and Bengal BBQ seating into the store). It really opened things up. I also had not seen the new Dumbo queue, which I thought was genius, although the girls were disappointed not to pick the color of their Dumbo.

* I am not a Star Wars fan, but I was impressed by the rockwork on Big Thunder trail and the expansion of Hungry Bear. I don't like how you can see SWGE from certain areas of the park (like in Toon Town), but I think it will be beautiful.

* MaxPass is a slam dunk and we were able to ride so many rides yesterday. It was almost overwhelming how many options you had. It made us a little more commando, but I guess if you had the option all the time you would eventually slow down to smell the roses. If I had an AP I would have to really look at the cost benefit of MaxPass for the year versus on getting it once or twice a year. I feel like it's better for the once or twice a year visitor.

* Beware Splash Mountain! The flume didn't look like it had a lot of water when looking at it from the walkway, but the splash down area was really full, and people were walking off soaked! I didn't make my girls wear ponchos and they got really wet.

* FYI - Naples in DTD does not take Disney Gift Cards. Most restaurants in Disney Springs at WDW do take Disney Gift Cards so I was a little surprised. We had a decent experience there although the inside smells very calamari like.

People complain about the costs of Disneyland tickets, but I felt our experience yesterday was worth the cost. Even at full price non-resident tickets prices I would have been pleased. We had a great day! But I think I'm at the point in my life where an AP does not make sense and I'd rather go a few times once or twice a year and "live it up" versus going for a morning here or an evening there.

thank you....you are one of the few folks to express delight in the Big Thunder trail rockwork...kudos to you....I saw footage on opening morning/day of that area and was aghast at folks running thru that area, those folks not knowing they were making running history as the first folks to have no concern about texture or tiny details.....why even the walkers had no clue of the historical context of their footsteps and what they were missing!!.....which is why.....SWGE towers are probably unnoticeable by many visitors.

Glad you enjoued your day. Did you check out the Tropical Hideaway? I didn't see that mentioned.

No, besides Indy we just walked through Adventureland. Too cold for Dole Whips and the TH menu does not appeal. I'm actually not entirely sure where it is - is it in the old Aladdin M&G area?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter