Thoughts from my visit to Toy Story Land - The heroes, the bad guys, and the happy ending possible

HB2K

I Spit Hot Fire!
Disney Hollywood Studios has been, and still is, my favorite park. I loved Dick Tracy and Who Framed Roger Rabbit movies as a kid, so the 40s-50s Hollywood architecture and theme hooked me right away. Admittedly it has grown harder and harder to justify a devoting a full day to the park as more attractions either closed or frankly have gone stale. When the Star Wars & Toy Story expansions were announced, I found myself experiencing mixed feelings.

By default when Disney builds something new it's something to look forward to, but the idea of Disney building immersive lands leveraging such iconic content was a really exciting announcement. That said I found myself underwhelmed by the the description and concept art for Toy Story Land. The concept art, to me, looked very “off the shelf”, and frankly an excuse for a limited budget than a story which inspired Imagineering.

Fast forward this story to early June of this year. As my family’s vacation grew closer and closer, our first day lined up with the announced opening of Toy Story Land, and mixed feelings began to be replaced with excitement. I watched the vlogs from the media day event and increasingly found myself embracing the story. Slinky Dog Dash still looked like an off-the-shelf roller coaster, but the add ons remind me of something I might have tried to build as a child. Green Army Soldiers wandering around in the background of videos really made it appear that vloggers were in a toy’s world, and I couldn’t wait to try it for myself.

Having experienced Toy Story Land first hand during its opening week I’d like to share my observations on what Disney got right, where Toy Story Land falls short, and thoughts on how to fix it.

An Immersive World?

The elephant in the room is this...is Toy Story Land a place where you lose yourself in a grand story being told?

No, it is not. Imagineering did an incredible job with small touches to further the story that Andy built this land. The use of K-Nex toys for fencing, used popsicle sticks for benches, and Tinker Toys for light posts are whimsical touches. Using toys for merchandise stands, aside from being another neat Easter egg, is something Andy would have done if he truly were building this with toys in his backyard.

Slinky Dog Dash’s “combination” of a Matchbox car “launcher”, a roller coaster kit and Slinky Dog himself worked surprisingly well. Even though in many places Slinky Dog Dash visually looks like a decorated version of a roller coaster you’d find at a local Six Flags park, riding it is a much different experience, and I’d recommend that you not judge this book by it’s cover. I didn’t ride Alien Swirling Saucers, but some of the vlogs have pointed out the attention to detail in the signage & construction which again are nice touches in an otherwise off the shelf ride experience.

Those touches however are the root of what still disappoints me about Toy Story Land.

In the past plussing up things like light fixtures, trash cans and benches were what set Disney apart, enhancing the grand story being told. The attention to detail kept you in the story but they were never THE story. I’d wager that if twenty five random guests entered Toy Story Land without an awareness of the backstory the land was designed to tell they all would emerge from Toy Story Land unable to tell that story.

Additionally there are many places where the sight lines can quickly take you out of the story. Galaxy’s Edge construction is easily visible from both walk paths and while riding Slinky Dog Dash. There are locations where Slinky Dog Dash is taller than the fence element from Andy’s backyard, and the well documented lack of a transition from Hollywood Studios into Toy Story Land is real.

This led me to a revelation..the main issue with immersion in Toy Story Land is the story itself. While the backstory of being shrunk to the size of a toy in Andy’s backyard falls short, Imagineering may have stumbled into one which is much more potent; being immersed in the imagination of a young boy. That story opens up easy fixes, seemingly out of place expansions, and truly can give Toy Story Land a unique place in all of Walt Disney World.

How I would improve Toy Story Land

The transition from Hollywood Studios to Toy Story Land could easily be fixed by borrowing a page from Universal Studios Diagon Alley. Just as London provides a grand reveal when entering Diagon Alley, a tall fence with a “hole” in which you walk through could offer a similar reveal to Andy’s playtime carnival. The sight lines into Galaxy’s Edge can also be fixed with a simple flat front which is the themed to be the back of Andy’s house. Small touches which can increase the immersion 100%.

Speaking of Diagon Alley, part of what makes the Harry Potter intellectual property amazing for Universal Studios is the fact that riding the rides is only half the fun. Guests want to shop where Harry shopped and eat where Harry ate. Toy Story offers Disney a similar opportunity to allow guests to eat at Andy’s favorite restaurant and shop at his favorite toy store. The omission of Al’s Toy Barn and Pizza Planet from Toy Story Land is a missed opportunity and a failure of Disney to monetize the Toy Story intellectual property to its fullest, which leads me to my next fix.

I know there has been a lot of debate on how to add iconic Toy Story elements such as Pizza Planet and Al’s Toy Barn without breaking the backstory of being in Andy’s backyard, but I believe there’s an easy answer to this problem. If the story is centered on entering Andy’s playtime, the additions of Pizza Planet and Al’s Toy Barn can be simply explained as Andy adding his favorite restaurant and toy store to his imagined carnival using play sets, other supplies, and his creative imagination. The facades of these locations are comprised of toy kits, action figures, and homemade crafts but once you’re inside it’s a proper build of these shopping & dining locations. Just imagine supersized Chicken Suit Al action figure looming over Al's Toy Barn.

Finally the last thing I’d add to improve the immersive story would be to increase the amount of characters walking around this land. Seeing the Green Army men walking among guests in the vlogs really made it look like you were in Andy’s playtime, but in reality the only live characters I found in the land were the Green Army men, Buzz and Woody. If we’re in Andy’s playtime, when Andy's not around, there should be toys interacting all over the place. Mingling with Bo, Jesse, Bullseye, Stinky Pete, Lotso Bear, and others would help you feel like you’re in playtime. I also think adding some of the “Living Statue” performers as Army men who come to life as people walk by would also add some magic.

In my opinion Toy Story Land is admittedly a beautiful & themed land, but with a little tweaking it can realize the full potential that source content deserves.

Thoughts? I'd love to hear them! -Steve

Last edited:
I'm still disappointed that the Slinky Coaster does not "slinky". Imagineering missed a great opportunity to design a truly unique and fittingly themed coaster by adding the slinky component. The coaster should contract and expand as does a slinky.

Honestly the physical slinky effect isn't something I missed. The sound effect plays when you leave the station and hearing Slinky talk to everyone when the second "launch" happens really kept me in the story. I was so uninterested in Slinky from the description and the artwork, but ultimately really loved the experience.

Wow such a well thought out analysis, and love the comparison to Wizarding World of Harry Potter, which is just amazing for the reasons you cited.
Thank you! To me one of the most amazing things of the Harry Potter lands at UO is the fact that shopping and dining are a part of the experience, not things bolted onto the story. Disney has some IP which can do the same, Toy Story being one of them, so I share everyone's frustration with the absence of Al's and Pizza Planet...hopefully Disney will add them in the future.

Great commentary, I will be there in November to check it out and while I loved DHS (especially when it was MGM), over the years, it's become a half day park for our family. I will say a pizza planet and al's toy barn could have really be great adds. Very missed opportunities, but likely no $$$$. I will say just from the vlogs I've watched on TSL and pics from social media, I don't understand the entrance, It's just a sidewalk in with no real transition point, very odd with little to no thought on transitioning. I feel that with new lands there is always so much hype and when budgets get set, stuff starts getting hacked little by little.

Great commentary, I will be there in November to check it out and while I loved DHS (especially when it was MGM), over the years, it's become a half day park for our family. I will say a pizza planet and al's toy barn could have really be great adds. Very missed opportunities, but likely no $$$$. I will say just from the vlogs I've watched on TSL and pics from social media, I don't understand the entrance, It's just a sidewalk in with no real transition point, very odd with little to no thought on transitioning. I feel that with new lands there is always so much hype and when budgets get set, stuff starts getting hacked little by little.

If you at all like Toy Story you'll love the new land even in spite of it's shortcomings. It's more of a missed opportunity than a failed expansion. You're absolutely correct on the transition from DHS to TSL...it's a sidewalk with a giant Woody statue and sign at the end. Very cute, but it doesn't do anything to begin telling you the story. You're also correct on budget winnowing as a project moves from a blueprint to construction...it feels like TSL had a very limited budget to begin with which was further sliced. Hopefully Disney returns to it faster than they returned to Camp Minnie-Mickey at AK.

Disney Hollywood Studios has been, and still is, my favorite park. I loved Dick Tracy and Who Framed Roger Rabbit movies as a kid, so the 40s-50s Hollywood architecture and theme hooked me right away. Admittedly it has grown harder and harder to justify a devoting a full day to the park as more attractions either closed or frankly have gone stale. So when the Star Wars & Toy Story expansions were announced, I found myself with mixed feelings.

By default when Disney builds something new it's something to look forward to but Disney building immersive lands leveraging such iconic content was a really exciting announcement. That said I was underwhelmed by the the description and concept art for Toy Story Land. The concept art, to me, looked very “off the shelf”, and frankly an excuse for a limited budget than a story which inspired Imagineering.

As my family’s vacation grew closer and closer, our first day lined up with the announced opening of Toy Story Land, and I started to grow excited to experience this expansion. I watched the vlogs from the media day event and increasingly found myself embracing the story. Slinky Dog Dash still looked like an off-the-shelf roller coaster, but the add ons remind me of something I might have tried to build as a child. Green Army Soldiers wandering around in the background of videos really made it appear that vloggers were in a toy’s world, and I couldn’t wait to try it for myself.

Having experienced Toy Story Land first hand during its opening week I’d like to share my observations on what Disney got right, where Toy Story Land falls short, and thoughts on how to fix it.

An Immersive World?

The elephant in the room is this...is Toy Story Land a place where you lose yourself in a grand story being told?

No, it is not. Imagineering did an incredible job with small touches to further the story that Andy built this land. The use of K-Nex toys for fencing, used popsicle sticks for benches, and Tinker Toys for light posts are whimsical touches. Using toys for merchandise stands, aside from being another neat Easter egg, is something Andy would have done if he truly were building this with toys in his backyard.

Slinky Dog Dash’s “combination” of a Matchbox car “launcher”, a roller coaster kit and Slinky Dog himself worked surprisingly well. Even though in many places Slinky Dog Dash visually looks like a decorated version of a roller coaster you’d find at a local Six Flags park, riding it is a much different experience, and I’d recommend that you not judge this book by it’s cover. I didn’t ride Alien Swirling Saucers, but some of the vlogs have pointed out the attention to detail in the signage & construction which again are nice touches in an otherwise off the shelf ride experience.

Those touches however are the root of what still disappoints me about Toy Story Land.

In the past plussing up things like light fixtures, trash cans and benches were what set Disney apart, enhancing the grand story being told. The attention to detail kept you in the story but they were never THE story. I’d wager that if twenty five random guests entered Toy Story Land without an awareness of the backstory the land was designed to tell they all would emerge from Toy Story Land unable to tell that story.

Additionally there are many places where the sight lines can quickly take you out of the story. Galaxy’s Edge construction is easily visible from both walk paths and while riding Slinky Dog Dash. There are locations where Slinky Dog Dash is taller than the fence element from Andy’s backyard, and the well documented lack of a transition from Hollywood Studios into Toy Story Land is real.

This led me to a revelation..the main issue with immersion in Toy Story Land is the story itself. While the backstory of being shrunk to the size of a toy in Andy’s backyard falls short, Imagineering may have stumbled into one which is much more potent; being immersed in the imagination of a young boy. That story opens up easy fixes, seemingly out of place expansions, and truly can give Toy Story Land a unique place in all of Walt Disney World.

How I would improve Toy Story Land

The transition from Hollywood Studios to Toy Story Land could easily be fixed by borrowing a page from Universal Studios Diagon Alley. Just as London provides a grand reveal when entering Diagon Alley, a tall fence with a “hole” in which you walk through could offer a similar reveal to Andy’s playtime carnival. The sight lines into Galaxy’s Edge can also be fixed with a simple flat front which is the themed to be the back of Andy’s house. Small touches which can increase the immersion 100%.

Speaking of Diagon Alley, part of what makes the Harry Potter intellectual property amazing for Universal Studios is the fact that riding the rides is only half the fun. Guests want to shop where Harry shopped and eat where Harry ate. Toy Story offers Disney a similar opportunity to allow guests to eat at Andy’s favorite restaurant and shop at his favorite toy store. The omission of Al’s Toy Barn and Pizza Planet from Toy Story Land is a missed opportunity and a failure of Disney to monetize the Toy Story intellectual property to its fullest, which leads me to my next fix.

I know there has been a lot of debate on how to add iconic Toy Story elements such as Pizza Planet and Al’s Toy Barn without breaking the backstory of being in Andy’s backyard, but I believe there’s an easy answer to this problem. If the story is centered on entering Andy’s playtime, the additions of Pizza Planet and Al’s Toy Barn can be simply explained as Andy adding his favorite restaurant and toy store to his imagined carnival using play sets, other supplies, and his creative imagination. The facades of these locations are comprised of toy kits, action figures, and homemade crafts but once you’re inside it’s a proper build of these shopping & dining locations. Just imagine supersized Chicken Suit Al action figure looming over Al's Toy Barn.

Finally the last thing I’d add to improve the immersive story would be to increase the amount of characters walking around this land. Seeing the Green Army men walking among guests in the vlogs really made it look like you were in Andy’s playtime, but in reality the only live characters I found in the land were the Green Army men, Buzz and Woody. If we’re in Andy’s playtime, when Andy's not around, there should be toys interacting all over the place. Mingling with Bo, Jesse, Bullseye, Stinky Pete, Lotso Bear, and others would help you feel like you’re in playtime. I also think adding some of the “Living Statue” performers as Army men who come to life as people walk by would also add some magic.

In my opinion Toy Story Land is admittedly a beautiful & themed land, but with a little tweaking it can realize the full potential that source content deserves.

Thoughts? I'd love to hear them! -Steve
Well written article! You should submit this for publication.

You know, at California Adventure, they have (soon to be demolished) Bugs Land and you really do feel like you were shrunk down to the size of a bug. They completely pulled it off there. You enter the land through a cereal box tunnel. All they need to do for Toy Story land is take the giant clovers and backyard props over there once they remove them from Bugs Land. Those things will completely transform TS Land and make it at least LOOK like you are in a backyard. And, the giant clovers will provide much needed shade. As a bonus, one of the props is a hose and sprinkler that is a water play area. Toy Story land needs one of those, desperately. Hopefully, they will recycle all this Bugs Land stuff rather than warehouse or destroy it.

You know, at California Adventure, they have (soon to be demolished) Bugs Land and you really do feel like you were shrunk down to the size of a bug. They completely pulled it off there. You enter the land through a cereal box tunnel. All they need to do for Toy Story land is take the giant clovers and backyard props over there once they remove them from Bugs Land. Those things will completely transform TS Land and make it at least LOOK like you are in a backyard. And, the giant clovers will provide much needed shade. As a bonus, one of the props is a hose and sprinkler that is a water play area. Toy Story land needs one of those, desperately. Hopefully, they will recycle all this Bugs Land stuff rather than warehouse or destroy it.
Agree 100% on re-using those elements to further the backyard effect. I just wonder if the cost to remove & ship is lower than demolishing them in CA and fabricating new in FL. It’s too bad they didn’t keep some of the props from the HISTK playset...could have also used some of those elements...

Great read. That idea of continuing the fence with holes as a guest's "entrance" to the land is brilliant. So brilliant and so subtle, in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it never crossed Disney's mind to apply it. Area is in desperate need of a proper transition. Budget only stretches so far, as you said.

Looking forward to seeing it for ourselves this fall. The photos look amazing, but your points make sense.
I suspect this is still a work in progress. There are rumours of a phase 2, make they will fix some of those problems if that happens.

Loved your well written and well articulated views. I do wonder if the creation of PizzaRizzo is a reason for no Pizza Planet. Pizza Planet would fit the scheme well and lets face it the pizza at Rizzo is pizza in name only. And a toy store in that land would end up costing me a fortune. A reason there is no Al's on Toyland is a believe because they would not breakdown and put new stuff in it. My daughter brought back almost $700-800 of $1200 on our most recent trip because she found nothing unique to buy. She told me all Disney stores now look alike. I would love to see a store there selling unique shirts and collectibles.

Great read. That idea of continuing the fence with holes as a guest's "entrance" to the land is brilliant. So brilliant and so subtle, in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it never crossed Disney's mind to apply it. Area is in desperate need of a proper transition. Budget only stretches so far, as you said.
Reality is when blue sky thinking meets real world budgets :) That said sometimes necessity is the mother of all invention...I'm a huge fan of the first Deadpool film (seeing the second tomorrow when it comes out on digital release), and the lack of a super-hero budget actually helped make that a better film. The same could apply to Disney Imagineering...not everything needs to be a huge spend, which is why I tried to think of "fixes" which wouldn't require a ton of downtime and/or cost. Disney of course won't do this because as-is the land is pulling in strong attendance....so the old adage of don't fix something that isn't "broken" kind of applies.

Looking forward to seeing it for ourselves this fall. The photos look amazing, but your points make sense.
I suspect this is still a work in progress. There are rumours of a phase 2, make they will fix some of those problems if that happens.
It's a beautiful land which was definitely made for today's Instagram world (there are at least two awesome walls for background). You'll love it, and I'd highly recommend eating from Andy's lunchbox. I didn't get to eat a full meal, but the "pop-tart" pastries were as good as they look....

Loved your well written and well articulated views. I do wonder if the creation of PizzaRizzo is a reason for no Pizza Planet. Pizza Planet would fit the scheme well and lets face it the pizza at Rizzo is pizza in name only. And a toy store in that land would end up costing me a fortune. A reason there is no Al's on Toyland is a believe because they would not breakdown and put new stuff in it. My daughter brought back almost $700-800 of $1200 on our most recent trip because she found nothing unique to buy. She told me all Disney stores now look alike. I would love to see a store there selling unique shirts and collectibles.

Thank you for the kind words.

I totally hear you on adding Al's Toy Barn to the land requiring a second mortgage for souvenirs. My kids are older, but I'd probably find a lot of nostalgic stuff I would want to buy :)

Loved reading your review of Toy Story Land. I'm looking forward to seeing it in a few weeks, but am trying to temper my expectations. They had some missed opportunities.

Loved reading your review of Toy Story Land. I'm looking forward to seeing it in a few weeks, but am trying to temper my expectations. They had some missed opportunities.
Thank you for the kind words. It’s a fun exercise to think about “what could be”, but don’t let it ruin your experience. TSL is a beautifully DECORATED land which will keep you really busy finding Easter eggs, reliving some of the experiences of your youth, and offers a couple of really fun rides.

One more point...I didn’t talk about it, but I REALLY am intrigued by Woody’s Lunchbox as well. I didn’t get to eat a meal there, but I did get the desert pastries and they were outstanding. If you get an opportunity to eat there, jump on it.

Are they demolishing bugs land at CA Adventure? What is going in its place? I assume that means they are getting rid of It's tough to be a bug?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter