Thoughts on Airfare for March 2023

Bea

DIS Veteran
Airfare for March is nuts. We are looking at flights from Halifax to Orlando and it’s about 900.00 per person. Our son is in gr 12 so pretty much have to follow the days of the break.

We don’t usually look to book this far out but I’m wondering,for those who have experience, May the prices go down? Are they this high because it’s so far out? We normally book maybe 6 months ahead of time. Should we just book now? Maybe the prices will go up 🤷‍♀️. Ugh.

We have WJ companion voucher so it will help soften the blow but man the prices are high.

I can't figure out the logic behind any of this. I got round trip Boston to Vancouver for about $300 US per person.

Screenshot_20220514-105130.png

This is what I am getting for March Break (YYZ Toronto To MCO Orlando)
I am glad I can travel off season this year,, even going a week earlier or later makes a huge difference.
March Break tends not to come down as it's one of those times the Airlines know they will be busy.
Yeah that Companion voucher does help.
Best wishes
Mel

Attachments

• march2023.jpg
    march2023.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 16

We always fly out of Halifax too. Prices are generally cheapest if you book as soon as the fares become available. Our March 2023 flights (air canada direct) were $550 when they first came out just a few weeks ago, now they’re over $850. I think it will be nuts next year with everyone wanting to travel.

Wow, I see what you all mean. Just had a peek for our local (Alberta) March break and it's over $1000 pp on the first day of the break, Saturday, when most folks will be wanting to travel. On the previous Wednesday it's $575 per person. These are connecting flights on United. Forget Westjet, their non-stop to MCO isn't even showing on my search and even connecting flights are $1200 pp.

I think the advice I've always followed is as relevant today as it ever was. Start looking as soon as fares are released, keep an eye on them for a week or maybe two because that's likely as low as they'll ever be and buy as soon as you see something you can live with. They usually just go up from there. And the most important part is to stop looking after you buy your fare.

I am actually thinking there will be a correction before next year.

Many people just cannot afford those prices. Eventually , after the saving from the pandemic is spent. inflation atarts. taking a toll on those vacation funds…..

then it will bounce back down…

Maybe by 2023 Fall.

We always fly out of Halifax too. Prices are generally cheapest if you book as soon as the fares become available. Our March 2023 flights (air canada direct) were $550 when they first came out just a few weeks ago, now they’re over $850. I think it will be nuts next year with everyone wanting to travel.
I think I will book soon then. I was concentrating on WJ because we have the companion airfare and not paying attention to AC. AC definitely has better times.

i thought I’d Look at hfx to TO and then TO to Orlando to see if having two different itineraries would be cheaper…it was pretty much the same price from Hfx to TO as Hfx to Orlando in March 😳.

Edited to say: if I book before end of May there isn’t a change fee for WJ or AC so if the price does go down, I guess I could always cancel and rebook at the cheaper price.

Last edited:
I think I will book soon then. I was concentrating on WJ because we have the companion airfare and not paying attention to AC. AC definitely has better times.

i thought I’d Look at hfx to TO and then TO to Orlando to see if having two different itineraries would be cheaper…it was pretty much the same price from Hfx to TO as Hfx to Orlando in March 😳.

Edited to say: if I book before end of May there isn’t a change fee for WJ or AC so if the price does go down, I guess I could always cancel and rebook at the cheaper price.
I have done the cancel and rebook thing at least 20 times over the last 8 months for 5 difference trips…never had an issue rebooking the lower fare.

Reactions: Bea

Also check Air Transat, we have flown them direct out of Halifax too in the past. I find AC the most convenient as they fly direct daily and like you said, the times are great!

Fly mid week and just pull them out for school for 2-3 days. Most kids can handle missing a few days of school. The flights will be much cheaper if say you leave the Wednesday before March break and fly back in the middle of March break.

We purchased AC flights close to when they were released (for about $1000 more than we paid for in March 2019). Over the next week or so, the price rose by another $200 and then fell back to what we booked at. Today I looked at it's $500 more than we booked.

Who knows now with the pandemic but in the past, prices only went up from when released as the airlines know that people are restricted to those dates. My thoughts too...that this is the first year many will travel (as last March break, you needed a negative covid test to return) so that won't help in our favor for prices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter