Thoughts on Animal Kingdom’s Pandora

I think PP meant that it's interesting that OP didn't think AK was a good fit for Pandora because AK celebrates real actual animals, which Pandora is not. But then OP goes on to say that it would have been wonderful to see Beastly Kingdom, a land of fictitious animals, come to fruition. Those seem like mutually exclusive thoughts.
Well, to clarify: Beastly Kingdom was going to be a look at humanity's shared historical mythology, and would include exhibits on how real animals inspired mythological creatures. The vision for Animal Kingdom was "The animals that are, the animals that were, and the animals that never were."

Avatar, on the other hand, is a sci-fi film featuring alien creatures from the vision of director James Cameron.

Thanks for your greatly informative and detailed post. Either your secretly a paid member of the pr staff of Disney or that land is really gonna be something truely amazing ;)

Thanks again and looking forward to checking it out for ourselves in Dec
Thanks for your kind words. I am not an employee of the Walt Disney Company (although to be honest I used to be, years ago -- but I am currently employed by a third-party vendor and work on Disney property), and I was not compensated for the review I posted. I genuinely had a great time despite my expectations, and wanted to share that.

My current relationship with Disney is rather like Anton Ego's relationship with food in the film Ratatouille: "You're... thin, for someone who likes food." "I don't like food; I love it. If I don't love it, I don't swallow. I will return tomorrow night with high expectations. Pray you don't disappoint me."

Last edited:
Is there a unique beer? Can't have a new theme park area without a custom craft brew!
There will be two new brews available at Pongu Pongu: Mo’ara High Country Ale, and Hawkes’ Grog Ale (both available in 16 and 22 oz. sizes). Souvenir mugs will also be available.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review! Great to hear from someone who feels the same way about Avatar as I do. Seems a weird fit for AK, but if it is as amazing as people say, then I'll shut up.

I rode both Pandora rides on May 13. Flight of Passage was amazing! I did not need to close my eyes at all. In comparison, I have to close my eyes for parts of Star Tours. The movement of ST is more intense. FoP is very smooth, think of an enhanced Soarin' experience. I can't ride the teacups, just fyi.

You are seated individually on a "motorcycle" like vehicle. You are told to lean all the way forward, so your chest is against the front bar. The back of the vehicle then comes up against your back. Your knees are against a pad and then another part comes behind your calf. You are leaning forward holding onto a handle with both hands. You are very secure. You aren't going to fall off. You do not rise into the air like Soarin'.

If watching the screen bothers you, just close your eyes. Your physical movement is not intense or jarring.

I don't want to explain the cool enhancements, but they are amazing. I just want to explain the vehicle because this is what concerned me the most before I rode it.

I hope they have random films, like ST, in the future.

Can you explain the drops? I have no problem with simulators, love Star Tours, Mission Space, Dinosaur, hate Soarin' because of the rise up in the air and my feet dangling. I am worried the ride vehicle goes up and down really high.

For what it's worth someone near the time we rode it did throw up after riding it, but I didn't have a problem. (Custodial crew was ready!) I'd compare the ride a cross between Simpsons and Soarin, the way you load into it and the platforms the ride vehicles are on is a lot closer to Simpsons, though. The film itself is closer to Soarin.

Can you explain the drops? I have no problem with simulators, love Star Tours, Mission Space, Dinosaur, hate Soarin' because of the rise up in the air and my feet dangling. I am worried the ride vehicle goes up and down really high.
The "ride vehicle" stays on the floor, which tilts up, down, and banks in front of an IMAX screen. Your feet do not move, as it feels like they're in the stirrups of a saddle. The neat trick is that you can feel the flanks of the Ikran breathing under you, against your legs. It's quite extraordinary.

Thank you for the review. I had mixed feelings about it but after reading your descriptions I am very excited to see it.

So for the banshee ride, you do not leave the ground? So if it is too intense you could close your eyes and be fine? I love Soarin, but can't do star tours. I am worried about this one.

For those asking about the ride and queasy. My daughter 26 who is 4'9" and 135 pounds, hated the ride and said it felt like Star Wars, which she always liked and never had a problem. Myself hate start wars has not been on it in years and years. I am 5'5" and weight 210. I loved the ride and had no problem at all. We sat in the same seat on the ride basically, I was first sit number 1 she was last sit number 14 I think, so same place basically, far right far left. So I guess it is up to you, as an individual, she was queasy and hated it, I loved it and was fine.

Thanks for your kind words. I am not an employee of the Walt Disney Company (although to be honest I used to be, years ago -- but I am currently employed by a third-party vendor and work on Disney property), and I was not compensated for the review I posted. I genuinely had a great time despite my expectations, and wanted to share that.

My current relationship with Disney is rather like Anton Ego's relationship with food in the film Ratatouille: "You're... thin, for someone who likes food." "I don't like food; I love it. If I don't love it, I don't swallow. I will return tomorrow night with high expectations. Pray you don't disappoint me."

My pr comment was totally in jest. I was just saying that the review was extremely glowing and I totally assumed it was genuine. Jokingly, other than it truely being as great as u described the only way your post would make sense is if it was from a Disney pr message. Heck if Disney saw your post you should get some type of cut for how well it was described.

Again thanks for posting. I enjoyed the review.

My pr comment was totally in jest. I was just saying that the review was extremely glowing and I totally assumed it was genuine. Jokingly, other than it truely being as great as u described the only way your post would make sense is if it was from a Disney pr message. Heck if Disney saw your post you should get some type of cut for how well it was described.

Again thanks for posting. I enjoyed the review.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter