Thoughts on Crowd Control

mmackeymouse

DIS Veteran
I didn't want to hijack the existing

The AP thread got me thinking on the AP price hikes' reasoning being crowd control, which I don't necessarily think is true. BUT...it got me thinking. With getting rid of NE tickets and hiking up AP tickets and current price structure....it feels like that all flies in the face of crowd control.

1 or 2 or 3 day passes are astronomical per day. And, as we all know, it's on a sliding scale. So, it is designed for someone with a 3 day pass to say, "Oh, it's not much more; I'll get the 5 day pass." or the person with the 5 day pass to say, "Oh, it's not much more; I'll get the 7 day pass." So, the sliding scale is designed to encourage people to be in the park more days. So, a family there for a week who was going to spend maybe 2 days in the park, spends 5 because they can. So, if their point is to thin out crowds, their pricing makes it so people are in the parks more days than maybe originally intended.

I would say to lower the 1 and 2 day tickets so that the people who only want to go 1 or 2 days go those days they want to, rather than crowding up the parks on additional days, just so they can get their money's worth. Now I understand that by pricing single day tickets too low, the swarms of non-AP locals and day visitors would be a nightmare so....how about, low single day pricing for resort guests only? I know a number of people, my family included, who go to Disney annually or every 2 or 3 years that only want to go to the parks for maybe 2 or 3 days, but because of the pricing, end up usually going with a 5 day pass and then going, so they get their value out of it. Now, yes, this is great for dollar signs, BUT if Disney's purpose is to thin the crowds, it doesn't make sense.

By getting rid of NE tickets and jacking up AP ticket prices, as well as the huge prices on single day tickets, they are going to price out the resort-leaning Disney visitors, and you know what's going to replace them? Visitors with intentions to go EVERY day all the days. Again, good for the bottom line, but if the idea is crowd control, they would actually be creating more crowds, because they have priced out the park-goers that go a minimal amount.

I don't have an answer...I think I am as perplexed as just about everyone.

TBH, I don't see how the price hike can possibly be meant for crowd control. The prices keep going up and the parks are as crowded as ever (and Disney keeps building more resorts to house the ever-growing crowds). I think Disney is raising prices because they can and people will pay it, plain and simple. They're not a benevolent fairy godmother waiting to grant all of our wishes -- they're a business with shareholders that's trying to make as much as a profit as possible.

Disney wants the people to go into the parks every day of their vacation. This way the people have more opportunities to stroll by the gift shops and walkway kiosks and buy things.

Hence the reduced per day costs for longer tickets.

If WDW really thought that raising the prices of APs would amount to a significant drop in crowds at the parks, they'd raise the prices far more than what we've already seen. Right now I'm on the fence about renewing, but I have many months to make up my mind, since my AP doesn't expire until March 2020. The current renewal price of $1,012 (including tax) is steep, but at $204 more (including tax) than last year's renewal rate, it still may be worth it for me if I continue to vacation at WDW as often as I have in the past couple of years.

I just went to UT and looked up the price of an 8-day hopper for a trip starting December 9th, which is a time I often go to WDW. The price (today, including tax) is $570.65. I can't research prices for May, which is another time I often go to WDW, but if the price would be the same as December ($570.65 x 2), the park admission for those 2 trips would be $1,141.30, which is $129 more than renewing my AP. Even two 4-day hoppers at the price I'm looking at for a trip starting December 9 would cost more than the AP renewal ($525.23 x 2 = $1,050.46).

If WDW really wanted to keep me (and perhaps others) from coming as often, they'd raise the price to renew a Platinum AP to at least $2,000. Then I wouldn't renew the AP and I wouldn't be in the parks as often. Or at a WDW resort. Or at a WDW restaurant.

Their strategy is a mystery, but my guess would be that it revolves around perceived value vs actual value. I broke down the per day rate and perceived a longer ticket was a good value not realizing my family's limitations. Have you ever tried hitting a Disney park open to close for 7 consecutive days? Yeah, I once foolishly thought that my young family could manage that easily. We had bought 4 day camping passes at local theme parks and they were a great value. We we're physically fit and stayed up later than park hours on most weeks. At Disney I even bought the 4 day water park add on and was thrilled that the package I bought included mini golf. I was duped. The next trip I did better but then at AK I bought a meal plan that I thought was a great value. I had no idea how little we would eat in the heat. My daughter barely touched her meal. I can still remember trying to talk my husband and kids into a frozen snack or drink before we boarded the bus. My husband rolled his eyes as I used the voucher to get bottled water, another failed attempt to outsmart Disney execs. I imagine they make their money back on park ticket days that are never used. People will still eat, drink, and shop at the Disney resort when they are too tired to hit the park. Disney will also collect ten dollars a head for park dining reservations that are cancelled within 24 hours of the reservation and if you think you'll save money by driving off property let's not forget the new parking fee. My visa bill in February included two $90 charges. The description read "Disney Resorts" the same as the many dining and shopping purchases I made that week. Come to find out it was a parking charge for each room reservation we had. Only we didn't park. We hired a car service to drop us off. How many folks didn't catch that on the bill? It caught my eye because there were two identical charges together. Disney makes it's money on first timers that don't realize how big the parks are, how much time it takes to get from point A to B, how intense Florida heat is, the promotion of dining packages and advance dining reservations locks in their money. I can't fathom how much money is made daily on the interest alone for prepaid vacation packages before a foot has even stepped in the park. Is it still worth it? Apparently I think so. I keep coming back to see what new way they have come up with to separate me from my money and most of them don't even leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

Their strategy is a mystery, but my guess would be that it revolves around perceived value vs actual value. I broke down the per day rate and perceived a longer ticket was a good value not realizing my family's limitations. Have you ever tried hitting a Disney park open to close for 7 consecutive days? Yeah, I once foolishly thought that my young family could manage that easily. We had bought 4 day camping passes at local theme parks and they were a great value. We we're physically fit and stayed up later than park hours on most weeks. At Disney I even bought the 4 day water park add on and was thrilled that the package I bought included mini golf. I was duped. The next trip I did better but then at AK I bought a meal plan that I thought was a great value. I had no idea how little we would eat in the heat. My daughter barely touched her meal. I can still remember trying to talk my husband and kids into a frozen snack or drink before we boarded the bus. My husband rolled his eyes as I used the voucher to get bottled water, another failed attempt to outsmart Disney execs. I imagine they make their money back on park ticket days that are never used. People will still eat, drink, and shop at the Disney resort when they are too tired to hit the park. Disney will also collect ten dollars a head for park dining reservations that are cancelled within 24 hours of the reservation and if you think you'll save money by driving off property let's not forget the new parking fee. My visa bill in February included two $90 charges. The description read "Disney Resorts" the same as the many dining and shopping purchases I made that week. Come to find out it was a parking charge for each room reservation we had. Only we didn't park. We hired a car service to drop us off. How many folks didn't catch that on the bill? It caught my eye because there were two identical charges together. Disney makes it's money on first timers that don't realize how big the parks are, how much time it takes to get from point A to B, how intense Florida heat is, the promotion of dining packages and advance dining reservations locks in their money. I can't fathom how much money is made daily on the interest alone for prepaid vacation packages before a foot has even stepped in the park. Is it still worth it? Apparently I think so. I keep coming back to see what new way they have come up with to separate me from my money and most of them don't even leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

LOL! I have to say...they are VERY good at magically emptying your wallet.

TBH, I don't see how the price hike can possibly be meant for crowd control. The prices keep going up and the parks are as crowded as ever (and Disney keeps building more resorts to house the ever-growing crowds). I think Disney is raising prices because they can and people will pay it, plain and simple. They're not a benevolent fairy godmother waiting to grant all of our wishes -- they're a business with shareholders that's trying to make as much as a profit as possible.

At what point in the money grab does this reasoning begin to wear thin? It’s not like they aren’t making plenty of money. All businesses are in business to make money.

I just assume that every time the prices go up its Bob Iger getting ready to ask for another raise. With all of the price increases I am reducing our WDW trips from 12 days to 9 and giving the girls the 3 day trip to Universal that they have been asking for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter