Thoughts on Measles outbreak?

I will add I have an appointment to have my titers checked next week.

It’s advisable everyone should do this, as vaccines are not 100% affective and some people only got one dose etc etc.

We had a scare at a local CVS this week that was fun. Turns out it wasn’t measles, but my daughter is only 9 months and I was freaking out!

I just saw something in r/funny on Reddit that would be perfect for this thread, but it wouldn't fall within the rules here so I can't post it. Funny pic though.

My daughter who lives in NYC asked me this morning about her vaccinations. I remembered she had the MMR but not the exact dates. It looks like 2 shots right?

I had measles when I was about 6. I still remember how sick I was. My kids and my grandkids all been vaccinated in a timely fashion because I never wanted them to suffer the way I did. Two of my 8 grandkids are on the spectrum. I blame genetics. I have a niece who is anti vaccines and she is as crazy as they come. One of her grandkids is on the Spectrum so of course that proved her point. I am so thankful that we have science that helps us prevent these horrible diseases and will never understand anyone who believes the quacks out there.

I had the measles too. No vaccines available back when I was of age. All theee of our kids were vaccinated.

My daughter who lives in NYC asked me this morning about her vaccinations. I remembered she had the MMR but not the exact dates. It looks like 2 shots right?

Yes depending on her age it should be 2 shots. Assuming it alerted her cause it’s in the news a bit here. She can get her titers checked if she is worried.

I had the measles too. No vaccines available back when I was of age. All theee of our kids were vaccinated.
I had them too as a teen before they routinely did the booster. Absolutely miserable experience that all parents should protect their kids from. The polio risk really scares me since I witnessed relatives who survived it but had lifelong disability. I feel like the problem is that too many never experienced or witnessed the horror that these diseases caused and take for granted the huge scientific advances we have made to eradicate them.

I am all for criminal liability if an unvaccinated child (by choice not by medical necessity) causes the death or disability of another child by spreading the virus. With technology moving as fast as it is, strains of the virus can or will be able to be identified by their genetic makeup, thus being able to identify the family it came from.

I respect people's choice in regards to vaccination, but there should be consequences for choices that harm other people.

The mumps and chicken pox were miserable too during my childhood.

My older two had chickenpox when under 5. My son had it bad particularly on his scalp. Very sore during haircuts for a very long time.

Aren’t mumps pretty serious for adults?

I truly believe it is going to take an outbreak that kills a lot of innocent people to reverse the antivaxx trend we are seeing. My generation has not had to witness people we love suffer and die from a preventable disease. History repeats itself because people forget.

I had the measles, mumps and chicken pox and I was vaccinated for small pox. I JUST missed being alive when polio would creep through the night choosing a house to visit to cripple or kill a child. The summer had streets empty from people keeping their children in the house out of fear, and summer ended with schoolrooms with children on crutches, walking in braces, or with empty chairs.

(THANK YOU Jonas Salk! Yes, I knew his name without hesitation because he is a hero in my generation for inventing the polio vaccine!)

Ignorance of infectious diseases. No excuse in a developed nation. No excuse.

Here are my thoughts. I'm very happy to have my 2 autistic teen sons alive and well. The fear about autism is SO overblown I can't even handle it. Autism is just a different way of being. Its not a tragedy, and it won't kill your child. My kids are pretty interesting people. Why anyone allows a fear of autism, of all things, to dictate how they proceed with protecting their children from very real, dangerous and often deadly illnesses, I don't know. It is stupid. Vaccines are proven science. People need to go back to trusting science and the scientific method and its outcomes and stop listening to the tin foil hat morons online.

I feel so badly for those who medically cannot get vaccinated. This must be so terrifying for them. I have NO sympathy for any parent who loses a child due to an illness contracted because of voluntary withholding of vaccines (and I count religious exemptions in that as well).

The polio risk really scares me since I witnessed relatives who survived it but had lifelong disability.
Yeah, my dad survived polio as a kid and ended up disabled but alive. For that reason alone, my parents would never NOT have had us vaccinated for everything possible.

I read that these parents were having measles parties to expose their children so they become immune :faint:
I wonder just how many of those parents had the benefit of being vaccinated as children and never were at risk of getting sick because their parents did what they could to protect them? I bet none of them actually ever had the measles :rolleyes:

My kids are older, but it infuriates me that parents can be so ******* stupid. They are putting more that just their own children at risk. Of course if they don't care about their own kids I guess it's too much to ask them to care about those who CANT be vaccinated. Those are the ones being protected by herd immunity the most.

I can't believe that this is even happening. We are so lucky to live in a country where we can easily control things like this, yet people want to take risks because they think their google degree knows more than science and actual research. I do not have children yet, but I have made it very clear to my fiancé that when we do, there are zero questions as to whether they will or will not be vaccinated.

Not measles related, but my SIL is an ER nurse - we are outside of Chicago and she is about to see a 2 year old die of the flu. She doesn't think he will last until the end of the week. It blows my mind that we still have people dying from these things in the US! She said it took everything in her to not tell the mother that this was her fault and her son wouldn't be dying had they both gotten their flu shots instead of falling into the nonsense.

I actually thought all kids needed to be vaccinated or they weren't allowed in school until they were--or has the rules changed on this

I often wonder how much anti-vax parents know about history? Have they ever spoken to people who were alive before the vaccines came out about their experiences? Have they ever researched or looked into the history of childhood illness in the last century or so? Because I think about the stories I've heard as someone involved in both local history and genealogical work, and can't help but think that at least some of the anti-vaccination crowd might feel a bit differently if they ever heard these same sad tales. :(

Last edited:
I truly believe it is going to take an outbreak that kills a lot of innocent people to reverse the antivaxx trend we are seeing. My generation has not had to witness people we love suffer and die from a preventable disease. History repeats itself because people forget.
Worth repeating!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter