Thoughts on this plan....

teeselectric

Earning My Ears
Hi, we are heading over to Islands and Universal for one day each in early May. It's our first time visiting these parks and usually spend the 2 weeks in Disney, on property where we will have a break from the parks during the day. So a slight concern for us visiting Universal is having to spend the whole day in the parks and the kids getting tired.

Anyway, we were thinking of the following plan:

Hitting Islands on our first visit. Getting in the queue at 8 to gain access for 9 and heading straight to Hagrids. Following this, I'll ride Velocicoaster by myself and then we were going to get the Hogwarts Express over to US and spend the day there before heading back to our Disney property. Then on our next visit, we could get to Islands a little bit later (say 10ish) and then spend the day there and last until the Hogwarts Show before heading back to Disney.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

I would not head to Hagrids first if Islands has early entry and you are not eligible. You will be behind a huge line of early entry folks. You generally do better to hit Hagrids mid day, or hop in line shortly before closing (this would be ideal on your first day. In the event that there is an issue and you cannot ride, you would be able to re-prioritize the next day instead).

Unless they make good improvements on Velocicoaster's reliability by then, you may want to have an alternative plan and/or a plan for what the family does while you wait in what could be an hour plus line for Velocicoaster.

Note that everyone can enter the park during the early entry period. If you are not eligible for early entry, you just won't be allowed on rides or past the Seuss Landing area until regular opening.

Plan to have a leisurely, air conditioned lunch somewhere to recharge for the afternoon. That can even be a quick service place, just take your time with it. The shows in Studios also make for nice breaks (and Bourne in particular is not to be missed).

The Universal App gives ride wait times and show times, and you can also see all the menus & prices.

Also a PSA that Dudley Dooright flume & Popeyes barges WILL get you wring-out-the-panties level SOAKED. They are a lot of fun provided you are prepared for that. Jurassic Park River Adventure will generally only get you reasonably wetted from about the waist up & IME doesn't require special precautions.

I would not head to Hagrids first if Islands has early entry and you are not eligible. You will be behind a huge line of early entry folks. You generally do better to hit Hagrids mid day, or hop in line shortly before closing (this would be ideal on your first day. In the event that there is an issue and you cannot ride, you would be able to re-prioritize the next day instead).

Unless they make good improvements on Velocicoaster's reliability by then, you may want to have an alternative plan and/or a plan for what the family does while you wait in what could be an hour plus line for Velocicoaster.

Note that everyone can enter the park during the early entry period. If you are not eligible for early entry, you just won't be allowed on rides or past the Seuss Landing area until regular opening.

Plan to have a leisurely, air conditioned lunch somewhere to recharge for the afternoon. That can even be a quick service place, just take your time with it. The shows in Studios also make for nice breaks (and Bourne in particular is not to be missed).

The Universal App gives ride wait times and show times, and you can also see all the menus & prices.

Also a PSA that Dudley Dooright flume & Popeyes barges WILL get you wring-out-the-panties level SOAKED. They are a lot of fun provided you are prepared for that. Jurassic Park River Adventure will generally only get you reasonably wetted from about the waist up & IME doesn't require special precautions.
Thank you for your reply.

Another option for us is to get a hotel room at Universal for one night. Head from Disney first thing, check in and get into Islands for early entry. That would give us the freedom of breaking the day up as well by going back to the hotel if we wanted to. Would that work?

Yes, and lots of people do that. You could bring an overnight bag & stay, save you 2 trips. And then could also swim in the evening, if energy levels allow.

If you go for early entry, go early enough to make it worthwhile. Like, at the gate 30min+ before early entry starts (the earlier you are, the less line for Hagrids thus the less line for Velocicoaster).

I do think you could make do either way. With the pricing of some of the hotels, it might be quite worthwhile to get the room and not bookend both days with traffic, and allow for a real break if desired.

An actual break means you can get back to the park & enjoy the last few hours as the crowds/lines die down. Which gives you more productive, more enjoyable park hours than trying to push through the hot afternoon and heading out of the parks early, tired. You can accomplish that with a leisurely enough lunch, but it's harder, and doesn't give you a break from stimulation.

I would also recommend just getting a room on site at Universal. I've done that at the beginning and end of my DIsney trips. Doing that in a couple of weeks. 1 night at Portofino after WDW. (had hoped for longer at Universal, but that's how it's shaking out now. ) Also, for HHN, I just get a room at Universal while keeping the DIsney reservation. I love being in the Universal 'bubble.' Makes for such a more fun and pleasant experience. Can take your time, go back to room and rest a bit, before heading back out, etc. and 1 night premier gets you 2 days of express. (the price of 1 night may be quite a sticker shock, but if you can swing it, it's SO worth it.)
I have left Disney property/BWV about 6:15 AM made it to Universal, checked in at hotel, and in line for EE in plenty of time. Now I wasn't at the front of the line for Hagrid's, but still way up there, and got lots of other stuff done: VC, FJ, etc, lined up for Hulk. VC has been very finicky lately though. and yes to what CAPSLOCK advised on the 2 main water rides, you will get soaked. Lots of fun, but soaked
Hopefully early May wont' be as crazy of a time. Happy planning!!!

Brilliant. Thanks for all your advice. We are going to get a room at Universal for the night and try and relax a little bit more.

I'm trying to see when the early admission is, but they haven't got it for May yet. Is it likely to be at Islands every day like it is now?

Get a room at one of the premiere resorts for 1 night. Gets you early entrance to the parks, a close place to head to mid day and gets you the express pass. With that pass you do not need to plan anything. I would hit Hagrid's up at the end of the day. With express you pretty much walk onto every ride so it makes it so much easier than Disney. You get it for both check in and check out day so you will be set.

Also - for 8AM early entry be there by about 7:30 - if not earlier. My wait times over the last week for Hagridds ranged from 15 minutes to 85 minutes getting there at 7:30 every day. It can also break down and add 30 or 40 minutes to your wait, so be pre paired

I don't like the way they do early entry, with one big mob trying to get in that includes folks that don't actually have early entry. They let them in but they cant get past the Suess landing bridge. Also if you are in the mob you need to find your way to a line, and hopefully not get in one that has a very slow employee working it. Had that more than once.

Also - for 8AM early entry be there by about 7:30 - if not earlier. My wait times over the last week for Hagridds ranged from 15 minutes to 85 minutes getting there at 7:30 every day. It can also break down and add 30 or 40 minutes to your wait, so be pre paired

I don't like the way they do early entry, with one big mob trying to get in that includes folks that don't actually have early entry. They let them in but they cant get past the Suess landing bridge. Also if you are in the mob you need to find your way to a line, and hopefully not get in one that has a very slow employee working it. Had that more than once.
I echo all of this.
We typically get in line an hour early if we want to get Hagrid's out of the way early since it usually gets in front of the people who don't have early entry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter