Thoughts on whether FP+ will return?

DisneyJade

Two decades on the DIS, lurking and learning
We have a trip planned for next spring, in the hopes that the world will have normalized a bit by then (we'll see!), but I'm anxious about the rumors that FP+ may not return.

If that's true, my hope would be a modified version of it, more like DL Maxpass. The reports about ride reservation difficulties for RotR make me not optimistic about ride reservations replacing FP. I can't imagine shelling out $5-$10k for a Disney trip only to get there and discover you can't get on headliners because you were quick enough, or your phone glitched, etc. I hope WDW won't dump FP in favor of reservations until all kinks are worked out.

Or maybe it will be something new. Who knows?

I'll be watching closely, and if crowds gradually increase, but no options for reducing wait times are introduced, we'll probably cancel. Just can't hang with a cycle of wait 90 minutes-ride 2 minutes-wait 2 hours-ride 5 minutes... especially with little kids. I personally would not feel I was getting my money's worth at Disney's current prices.

I know the future is all a bit up in the air right now, but I'm curious what everyone thinks might happen in the coming months.

We have a trip planned for next spring, in the hopes that the world will have normalized a bit by then (we'll see!), but I'm anxious about the rumors that FP+ may not return.

If that's true, my hope would be a modified version of it, more like DL Maxpass. The reports about ride reservation difficulties for RotR make me not optimistic about ride reservations replacing FP. I can't imagine shelling out $5-$10k for a Disney trip only to get there and discover you can't get on headliners because you were quick enough, or your phone glitched, etc. I hope WDW won't dump FP in favor of reservations until all kinks are worked out.

Or maybe it will be something new. Who knows?

I'll be watching closely, and if crowds gradually increase, but no options for reducing wait times are introduced, we'll probably cancel. Just can't hang with a cycle of wait 90 minutes-ride 2 minutes-wait 2 hours-ride 5 minutes... especially with little kids. I personally would not feel I was getting my money's worth at Disney's current prices.

I know the future is all a bit up in the air right now, but I'm curious what everyone thinks might happen in the coming months.
Lines have been great upon reopening because they actually move regularly, unlike standby lines when FP is in place.

I hope FPs never return in any form. I'll take a moving line that I don't have to schedule around over a FastPass window or immobile standby line any day.

DL Maxpass wouldn't work at WDW because almost everyone there would buy it, unlike at Disneyland.

Last edited:
I think it depends on how fast they increase the capacity of the parks and I think park capacity will depend on how the virus is doing. I was at WDW last week and I was able to do all the headliners multiple times with no issue aside from ROTR which I could only do once because of the boarding groups.

I definitely agree that FP does not seem necessary currently, but I am sure crowds will increase rapidly once more people feel safe to travel. At that point, I would expect to see wait times skyrocket, even if there’s only one line and it keeps moving.

Good point about more people being willing to buy Maxpass at WDW than DL. That would definitely impact its efficacy.

I definitely agree that FP does not seem necessary currently, but I am sure crowds will increase rapidly once more people feel safe to travel. At that point, I would expect to see wait times skyrocket, even if there’s only one line and it keeps moving.

Good point about more people being willing to buy Maxpass at WDW than DL. That would definitely impact its efficacy.
I have been in lines with real wait times upon reopening (mainly in HS the first half of opening day), but even those were bearable because the line actually moved regularly. It's a different experience than languishing in an endless standby line that is constantly being held up for FPs.

Does anyone actually remember what the lines were like before fastpass? My first trip was in 1998 and we waited in lines forever. We almost never waited more than 30 for anything after fastpasses were introduced.
Yes! This! We went in the 1980s and early 1990s and regularly waited in long lines. Since FP and FP+, we almost never wait in anything longer than 25 minutes.

I think Genie will be a an optional paid service that will be another gateway to the FP system. Disney will be trying to prove to people that you get "even more" from a Disney vacation in the coming years not less. They have invested lots of money into the WDW FP+ system. Every ride has 2 lines, people like the rush of "getting" a top ride. Once crowds build enough and the virus paranoia dies down somewhat they will bring it back. FP is also a major crowd control feature for busy times not just a jump the line pass, Disney will definitely bring it back. Disney taking away fastpass will scare people away and perpetuate the idea that DIsney is nickle and diming guests

Does anyone actually remember what the lines were like before fastpass? My first trip was in 1998 and we waited in lines forever. We almost never waited more than 30 for anything after fastpasses were introduced.
Yes! This! We went in the 1980s and early 1990s and regularly waited in long lines. Since FP and FP+, we almost never wait in anything longer than 25 minutes.
This is my memory as well. The Unofficial Guides emerged in that time period to help people navigate the parks to avoid the excessive lines. And the parks, when at normal capacity, are even more crowded today than in the 80s/90s.

Personally, I would probably shell out the $$ for the paid FP system a few posters mentioned. Even at a premium, I think I would prefer that over a day-of ride reservation system where you are at the mercy of luck and functioning devices & connections.

I found this article, which was very interesting, and includes the Genie App option that a few folks here mentioned:
https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs...nally-overhaul-fastpass-and-extra-magic-hours

Interesting article. Personally I think EMH and Dining reservations needs more overhaul then FP+... I think the 180 day dining booking window is ridiculous and leads to people hoarding multiple reservations so that they can fit them in to their park plans since hours are in flux until later. EMH are available to too many guests and ultimately make that park more crowded, Disney needs to ensure there are enough people to staff the EMH park but also make sure that it isn't so crowded that people get frustrated. Maybe splitting up EMH hotels into 1/3rds or making you preselect a certain number of EMH parks based on the ticket would work the same way Disneyland limits magic mornings to certain ticket holders. Maybe you can preselect 1 EMH for a 3 day ticket 2 for a 4 day etc.

Agreed. I would support any plan that reduces crowds during EMH!

I think the 180 day dining booking window is ridiculous and leads to people hoarding multiple reservations so that they can fit them in to their park plans since hours are in flux until later.
They changed it to 90 days about 10 years ago and it was a disaster. The phone systems and website crashed every day.

They do need to go back to preventing ADR hoarding, though

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter