• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thoughts on whether I have a chance at getting the room I want? Worth waitlisting?

Nutbean

Mouseketeer
We are currently booked in a Studio at CCR Dec 3-10. Our kids (22 & 17) have decided to join us so I’m looking at switching to a two bedroom villa instead.

Based on flights, our new dates would be Dec 2-9. I see that OKW has availability for those dates in a two bedroom and this would suit us as we are renting a car.

That said, my first choice would be to stay at Copper Creek and to make it even more tempting, there is currently availability 4 out of our 7 nights (Dec 4-6 & 8) for a 2 bedroom villa, however, I suspect once we hit the 7 month mark on May 2nd, this will likely get booked up if I’m not quick enough.

We have 137 points available this year at Copper Creek and 300 Grand Floridian points. At this point in time, 107 points are tied up with our Dec 10-17 CCR studio booking that we will be cancelling and 128 are used up with a VGF studio booking Dec 9-16 for just myself and my husband which we are keeping. That leaves us with 30 CCR points and 172 VGF points without borrowing. Add up to another 200 points if we do. The 2 bedroom at OKW is 230 and the 2 bedroom at CCR is 278 so we would have enough to cover both reservations as well as our 128 point VGF studio if we borrow (278 + 230 + 128 = 636 and we’d have 637).

Any advice on how to go about this? On May 2, should I cancel our CCR studio, book the 2 bedroom at OKW (assuming it’s still available) and then also try to book and/or waitlist the two bedroom at CCR and then cancel at OKW if I’m successful getting all the nights I need at CCR?

What happens to borrows points when I cancel one of the two bedroom reservations?

Ugh! Is this too complicated? Should I just give up on this idea and plan for a stay at a 2 bedroom at OKW or SSR?

Thank you!

Not sure how availability is looking at OKW for 2BR, but assuming you don't mind taking a chance, I would cancel/modify the studio and book the CCV 2BR for Dec 4-6 immediately. I'm not sure that 2BR will make it to the 7 month window. Then at 7 months, you'll have to start the hard work.

Borrowed points cannot be un-borrowed.

Depends on your risk tolerance and willingness to split stay, but the easy answer is:

Cancel your CCV studio today and book the nights you can get at CCV. Waitlist the the night of the 7th. Very good chance you will get one single night on waitlist. It seems you'd have the points to do this without borrowing. You'd need to borrow if the night of the 7th comes thru before May 2, but that's not likely.

At 7 mo, book OKW for 2nd and 3rd and set waitlist to replace. Be willing to change resorts if it doesn't come thru.

I have had a lot of success with 1 - 2 night waitlists / stalking for all resorts. Even the hard-to-gets. So, I personally wouldn't be stressed over this scenario, but I am always willing to split stay or alter plans to make things work.

Excellent advice! Thank you both. I have switched my studio reservation and booked the 4-6th as suggested.

I’m short 15 points to book the 8th right now. Should I go ahead and borrow to secure that night too?

I'm not going to even get into the points thing because others are much more knowledgeable, but CCV in December is crazy, so do what you need to do if you want Christmas at the Lodge. A split stay is also not bad.

Excellent advice! Thank you both. I have switched my studio reservation and booked the 4-6th as suggested.

I’m short 15 points to book the 8th right now. Should I go ahead and borrow to secure that night too?

If the goal is to try and get as many days as you can, then yes, I would borrow and not worry.

Congrats! Happy you are where you wanted to be and with your kids!

Quick update - 24 days later and I now have all 7 nights (December 2 - 9) at a two bedroom at CC. The last night I needed, which I had waitlisted, just came through today. I did not end up needing to borrow any points.
That’s great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter