Thoughts/ reviews on Mediterranean excursions

robandkelly13

DIS Veteran
Hi! We will be on the June 30 Med cruise From Barcelona. We are considering the following excursions:

Naples - Almalfi Coast by boat & Pompeii OR Mt. Vesuvius 4x4 Hike, Wine, & Pompeii OR Timeless Pompeii & Flavor of Sorrento (I'm really undecided on this port - these all seem great! Any opions on pros &cons of each would be greatly appreciated!)

Rome - Taste of Rome (Small group departure)

Liverno - Florence & Pisa

Villefranche - Eze, Nice, & French Wines

I've narrowed down the last 3 ports to 1 excursion for each, but I'd like to hear if anyone has done any of these (or others) including pros and cons.

Extra info: There are 3 of us me, DH, and DD (12). We like to experience new towns, food, and see historical sights.

Thanks in advance for any input!!!

Our vacations are frequently built around food and wine - I can recall many of the meals I've had even years later if I've enjoyed it so I can definitely identify with you.

In 2010 we did the Vesuvius 4x4 Hike or at least something similar. We had lunch and a tour and tasting at a winery on the slopes of Vesuvius, climbed to the top after being driven partway up and then a short tour of Pompeii. It had been my second choice of tours but my first choice wasn't being offered. After having done it, it would now be my first choice. Absolutely fantastic. Great food and wine (we bought a few bottles to bring back but they never made it off the ship - we couldn't wait). I remember that the main dish was spaghetti with a really simple tomato sauce, just enough to coat the pasta. I have tried in vain to duplicate that since but nothing compares even remotely. The antipasti was also delicious. Views from Vesuvius were wonderful and, for me, it was thrilling to just be there looking down. You can see where Pompeii is - it's quite distinct - and then when in Pompeii you can look up at Vesuvius where you just were.

In 2010 we did Eze and wine/cheese tasting in Nice so I don't know if it's the same one or not but sounds similar. We loved Eze. And the wine and cheese tasting was good and interesting. I recall one of the cheeses was a blue cheese. They asked us to try it first before the wine. Most people found it to be too strong for their liking - I personally thought it was a bit bland (I guess you have to be a fan of blue cheese) until pairing it with the selected wine - what a difference. We also had a few minutes to walk down by the water and to purchase some wine across the street (which we did but it also did not make it back home). It's put Nice on my radar as a possible place to visit more fully. Where we were down by the water there are a number of little cafes. I'd like to work my way from one end to the next if I was to visit for a week or so.

In 2013 we did a hike up in the hills around the Fort de la Revere above Eze with a final "French picnic" at the end. The area is beautiful and we worked up quite an appetite. The picnic at the end was indeed set up with blankets on the ground with tables of food. There were servers who would cut off a chunk of freshly baked baguettes for and serve red and white wines with lots of local cheeses (there was one really yummy soft goat cheese), meats, salads. Very civilized and delicious.

We did a long tour in Rome in 2010 (12 hours). Quite a whirlwind of what there is to see in Rome - has necessitated being put on the list to spend t least a week there in the future. We did a trip to Orvieto in 2013 instead of going back to Rome. Both tours were great. Orvieto is known for its white wines some of which we had at lunch paired with rabbit braised in a rosemary pesto. Yum. It's a lovely city with fantastic views as it is at the top of a hill and surrounded by olive orchards and vineyards. You can see for miles.

We did Florence in 2010 and Pisa in 2013. Both times we were docked in La Spezia, not Livorno. We had lunch at one of the old palaces in Florence which has been turned into a restaurant that seems to serve mostly large groups like our tour group. I remember that one of the appetizers was a pate that was divine. And the main course was a wonderfully tender veal. But the main purpose for our selection of Florence was to see the statue of David. I've seen it so many times in pictures but that simply cannot compare to being there and seeing it in person. No food in Pisa - it doesn't really take very long as there's not much to see although we climbed up the tower which was pretty cool. It wasn't open for that in 2010 so I'm glad we waited until 2013 to visit.

Our vacations are frequently built around food and wine - I can recall many of the meals I've had even years later if I've enjoyed it so I can definitely identify with you.

In 2010 we did the Vesuvius 4x4 Hike or at least something similar. We had lunch and a tour and tasting at a winery on the slopes of Vesuvius, climbed to the top after being driven partway up and then a short tour of Pompeii. It had been my second choice of tours but my first choice wasn't being offered. After having done it, it would now be my first choice. Absolutely fantastic. Great food and wine (we bought a few bottles to bring back but they never made it off the ship - we couldn't wait). I remember that the main dish was spaghetti with a really simple tomato sauce, just enough to coat the pasta. I have tried in vain to duplicate that since but nothing compares even remotely. The antipasti was also delicious. Views from Vesuvius were wonderful and, for me, it was thrilling to just be there looking down. You can see where Pompeii is - it's quite distinct - and then when in Pompeii you can look up at Vesuvius where you just were.

In 2010 we did Eze and wine/cheese tasting in Nice so I don't know if it's the same one or not but sounds similar. We loved Eze. And the wine and cheese tasting was good and interesting. I recall one of the cheeses was a blue cheese. They asked us to try it first before the wine. Most people found it to be too strong for their liking - I personally thought it was a bit bland (I guess you have to be a fan of blue cheese) until pairing it with the selected wine - what a difference. We also had a few minutes to walk down by the water and to purchase some wine across the street (which we did but it also did not make it back home). It's put Nice on my radar as a possible place to visit more fully. Where we were down by the water there are a number of little cafes. I'd like to work my way from one end to the next if I was to visit for a week or so.

In 2013 we did a hike up in the hills around the Fort de la Revere above Eze with a final "French picnic" at the end. The area is beautiful and we worked up quite an appetite. The picnic at the end was indeed set up with blankets on the ground with tables of food. There were servers who would cut off a chunk of freshly baked baguettes for and serve red and white wines with lots of local cheeses (there was one really yummy soft goat cheese), meats, salads. Very civilized and delicious.

We did a long tour in Rome in 2010 (12 hours). Quite a whirlwind of what there is to see in Rome - has necessitated being put on the list to spend t least a week there in the future. We did a trip to Orvieto in 2013 instead of going back to Rome. Both tours were great. Orvieto is known for its white wines some of which we had at lunch paired with rabbit braised in a rosemary pesto. Yum. It's a lovely city with fantastic views as it is at the top of a hill and surrounded by olive orchards and vineyards. You can see for miles.

We did Florence in 2010 and Pisa in 2013. Both times we were docked in La Spezia, not Livorno. We had lunch at one of the old palaces in Florence which has been turned into a restaurant that seems to serve mostly large groups like our tour group. I remember that one of the appetizers was a pate that was divine. And the main course was a wonderfully tender veal. But the main purpose for our selection of Florence was to see the statue of David. I've seen it so many times in pictures but that simply cannot compare to being there and seeing it in person. No food in Pisa - it doesn't really take very long as there's not much to see although we climbed up the tower which was pretty cool. It wasn't open for that in 2010 so I'm glad we waited until 2013 to visit.

Thanks! The first 2 sound exactly what we are looking at booking. Do you remember if you had any free time for shopping at local shops in Naples or any surrounding stop. I don't need a lot of time; I just like to pick up a few souvenirs everywhere:)

Thanks! The first 2 sound exactly what we are looking at booking. Do you remember if you had any free time for shopping at local shops in Naples or any surrounding stop. I don't need a lot of time; I just like to pick up a few souvenirs everywhere:)

Normally we don't pick up a lot of stuff on vacation so even when they do give us time on our own, we usually either sit at a cafe or look at the local sights. So I don't always remember when we've had time or places to shop.

I do recall a few minutes in a shop across from Pompeii. I know we could have picked up limoncello from there but I'm not really that fond of it and I don't remember much of what else they sold - typical tourist-type stuff I think. We didn't stop in Naples - it's not really a very nice city. My strongest recollection of driving through it was garbage strewn everywhere by the side of the road and everything I've read about it (and what other friends who've been there have said), I wouldn't spend any time in Naples itself. The only thing we bought on that tour was wine and grappa from the winery.

In Nice, I suppose we could have had time for shopping but the only thing we picked up was the wine from across from the wine tasting place. I do remember being given time to shop at a perfume place in or near Eze; what I picked up is one of my favourites (I'm wearing it today in fact).

But whether a particular tour is given time for shopping may also depend on the tour guide, the current tour plans, the desires of the participants or the available time and anticipated traffic due to work day/weekend. So my experience (and poor memory for much but food, wine and the historical sights or landscape views) may be different from what you will encounter.

Last year we did a 7 night med cruise on Magic. We did the Imperial and Renaissance Rome excursion through DCL. It was a very long day out. Our meet time on the ship was 7.15am. We then drove to Rome, and our first stop was the Vatican, and St Peters Basilica. After our tour we had a few minutes free ( which we started in the gift shop ;) ). We then had a short coach tour around Rome, and a photo stop for a few minutes at the Colleseum. We then went into the centre of Rome and had about an hour and a half free time to get lunch, shop etc. We were taken to the area by the Piaza Novana. After we met back up we walked to the Panthenon, and then the Trevi Fountain. We then had quite a walk (about 20 mins) back to the coach. Being August, it was very hot. Not sure I would do it again. We didn't get back to the ship until around 6.30pm.
The other excursion we did that week was Easy Pisa, which we really enjoyed. We drove on the coach into Pisa, and then boarded the land train for a tour around the town. We then walked to the tower, and had a couple of hours free time to explore on our own. We then boarded the land train back to the coach park, and was back on the ship in time for lunch.
HTH

Claire :)

ok, we (2adults) did this cruise in september and i found picking excursions so challenging due to cost and the long, confusing nature of the excursions! i will try to name what we did in each port, but i am sure the names aren't exact - also we always did an adults only tour when available:
Naples: the once we picked went to Capri, Sorrento and Pompeii - we loved it, probably not thrilling for a kid. friends did the Vesuvius hike one and loved it, again, not sure if there are any more kid friendly aspects to it, but it did sound cool. i can't imagine not hitting pompeii of course with a youngster because i was obsessed with pompeii when i was about 12!
Rome - it may have been the "taste of rome" that we did? it was pricey and hit coliseum, vatican, trevi fountain included lunch and actually the bus part of the tour was good because we had a great tour guide telling us about things as we moved through the city. this was a long day, but an excellent tour.
Villefranch - we did a monte carlo based tour that was fun, friends did the Eze tour I think you are mentioning and really liked it. I regret we didn't see more of Eze because it sounds really neat and something a kid might enjoy seeing as well.

We did a more of Florence on your own, it worked out perfectly for us, but I heard good things about the Florence/Pisa tour and again, having a kid, I think that would be a great choice.

not sure what i have offered to you here, but enjoy your cruise! :)

I just wanted to say that we did our first overseas cruise with DCL in the Baltic. With 6 of us (plus my parents), the DCL excursions were very pricey, but I was very hesitant to arrange anything else. I split the difference and did 2 with DCL and 2 I arranged myself thru research on TripAdvisor and Cruisecritic. As a family, my parents included, we all agreed the non-DCL excursions were much, much better. Smaller groups, more flexible, more time spent in port, and either significantly cheaper or the same price but for more excursion.

I understand completely the fear of not making it back to the ship, and the fact that DCL with take care of you if you are on their tour. It is good to remember, though, that in the age of TripAdvisor, no tour company wants you to miss your ship either. Our guide in Sicily this summer even talked about how much they live by TripAdvisor. They have as much reason to make sure you have a great day, and get back in time, as you do. With your small family, private tours may be just as expensive as DCL's excursion. Many companies have small groups, though, that you can join. A van of 12 is much more nimble, from everything from traffic to potty stops, than a bus of 50.

I loved Pompeii. I've traveled a lot and it is still one of the most surprising experiences of my life, simply due to the sheer scale of the place.

Florence is nice, but if you want to limit the number of cathedrals and museums you see, consider instead a trip to Pisa then Lucca. Pisa is one of those places most people (including me) feel the need to see, but once you do, there is not a lot to do there. The Basilica and cemetery (which has Pisa's harbor chains that Florence stole way back when, and a monument to the man who helped save Italy's art (see "The Monument Men" movie.)) Lucca is a lovely town the next stop up on the train that has a wide wall around the city center with a park now atop the wall. You can rent bikes and ride around the top of the wall. Stop and wander the narrow streets. It was a really nice day for us.

Thanks for all of the information! I love reading it all; so, if anyone has any other experience, keep them coming:)

Rome will be a long day. So will Florence. You might want to make it just Pisa. My tweens did not like back to back full days.
I would do something with Pompeii with a 12 yr old. Also, if you at inclined, Pompeii diy is very easy to do for under $75 total. If interested, Search this B.B., or pm me and I will find my prior posts here explaining step by step, which I used myself from a prior poster. Done it 2x. Plus, you can add Herculean if you want and control when you go back to boat (Kids were ready to go back to boat after 1/2 day).

Some observations aft our Med. cruise in Sept. of last year:
1. Most DCL excursions include early (almost fast-pass) entrance to the main attraction you are going to see.
2. The vendors are numerous, if not massive, at the entrance and/or exit for each prime attraction...shopping is not a problem, perhaps a pain. I went to Pompeii when in the service some 55+ years ago. Then, you went to this small booth, bought your entrance ticket, got a small map and you were on your own. Today, yikes! Pisa has loads of booths and crowds with half the people there posing for the obligatory push-back of the tower with the other half taking their picture.
3. Of the eight DCL cruises we have taken, the Med. one is the most physically taxing. Of course, you make it that way by your choice of excursions. We are in our 70s and forgot we were retired with the nearly 12-hour days we signed up for and survived. However, many of the sites we wanted to see could only be seen on a daily treadmill excursion. Pick your poison.
4. Our Monte Carlo port was scrubbed because the water was too rough for tendering and we stopped at Marseilles the next day instead. Doesn't happen often, just something to keep in the back of your head.
5. We loved this cruise, warts and all. The sites included are historic, with some still making history (Vatican). They are what they are...venders, lines, crowds and all. When you get home and look at your photos or videos you will be amazed by the fact that you really did stand where gladiators stood, where the Pope walks, where artists created their masterpieces. I suggest that our world leaders today should consider putting our most important historic venues nearer the ocean so that future cruisers can get to them sooner...just saying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter