Thousand flock to Florida Beaches

If that were the cases then there's no need for you to even walk around the neighborhood period; regardless of whether you could realistically be away from people or no t Just walk around inside your place of residence however many times it takes for you to feel like you've gotten some sort of exercise; go walk in circles, create a path that denotes X amount of miles (like businesses do at times). Of course I don't think many people actually have that viewpoint.

I kinda think at least part of the issue is people conjure up this idea that going to the beach is this luxury thing which it can be but it's not an absolute thing, I personally have the viewpoint it really depends on where you live. As I mentioned before about the woman living on the beach and how it is comparable to the grass in my backyard.

If the point is it's great if you can get out and get exercise, fresh air, walk around for some the beach realistically is doing that because of where they are located at, it is their neighborhood and they are now, in limited fashion, able to walk around in it. Is that the case for everyone who opts to go to the beach? No, but it is for at least some.

I barely DO walk around the neighborhood. I left my house twice this week. When I need to leave to get essentials, I stay out a little longer since I'm already out and get a little more exercise. I don't even feel like I'm getting air at this point, because I wear a mask.

Having enough room in a residence to walk any distance at all is a luxury. It is at most 20 paces from end to end and pacing makes me feel anxious.

I do think the beach is a luxury when there are OTHER places to get air and exercise, like walking around a neighborhood that has far less possibility of coming into contact with a good number of other people. If you have access to a private beach, that is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the beaches where there are clearly multiple groups of people all within shouting range of one another. Those people are at a beach because they want to be. There's a lot of things I want to do right now that I'm not doing, so no, I don't have a lot of patience with it!

Yeah, those people look too close to one another to me, especially since they're all moving varying degrees of closer to each other.

Also, I can't imagine 6:40pm is peak beach time.

The beaches are open evenings 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. and mornings 6 a.m. to 11 a.m. Social distancing rules are still being imposed as are large gatherings.

So by ordinance, the beaches are not open during 'peak beach time'.

Like I said, not the best, not the worst. According to stats from 4/13, it falls in the middle. Not what most rational people would call "doing very well," but I suppose you can define that however you'd like.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...e-highest-number-of-covid-19-cases/111552340/

the numbers they are using from that are from April 7 so much has already changed. We are 2nd in testing and still increasing testing every week. Testing has even expanded to walk up locations in south Florida for those with out access to a car. we were expected to become a hot spot like Detroit or Louisiana and never did.

I didn't even chime in on opening Florida beaches. I actually think that, if people truly maintain social distancing, it's fine. But you keep claiming how amazing FL is doing, and the fact is, it isn't. It's not the best, not the worst, and that's what I'm responding to. Again, other state's numbers have no relevance.
LOL.

The thread you were commenting on was about opening Florida's beaches. :rolleyes:

And in fact, you were the one who brought up the question of the number of states' cases with this:
Okay, so how about the fact that Florida has one of the highest numbers of cases in the country?

Which is a falsehood about Florida's case numbers -- from a person from the #2 state in the country in cases!

You were just posting your biased opinion with zero factual basis.

You're welcome to your opinion, but your FOUR THOUSAND dead and 81,000+ cases in your state brings into question your standing to criticize anyone else. .

I barely DO walk around the neighborhood. I left my house twice this week. When I need to leave to get essentials, I stay out a little longer since I'm already out and get a little more exercise. I don't even feel like I'm getting air at this point, because I wear a mask.

Having enough room in a residence to walk any distance at all is a luxury. It is at most 20 paces from end to end and pacing makes me feel anxious.

I do think the beach is a luxury when there are OTHER places to get air and exercise, like walking around a neighborhood that has far less possibility of coming into contact with a good number of other people. If you have access to a private beach, that is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the beaches where there are clearly multiple groups of people all within shouting range of one another. Those people are at a beach because they want to be. There's a lot of things I want to do right now that I'm not doing, so no, I don't have a lot of patience with it!
I wasn't talking about what you personally are doing. You do whatever you feel is ok for you. I was trying to give context for some situations. If using your qualifications walking around your neighborhood is a luxury.

You're talking about the beach in general by your other comments at least it seems that way apologies if it's not; sparsely populated or not to you it's not a need. By that notion it's not a need for you to walk in your neighborhood,even if you opt not to. There are other places to get air and exercise..just open your window and walk around your place of residence as many times as you want to get that exercise. I'm sorry you feel anxious in your place because the lack of space. Surely you can recognize that emotion can happen to other people? Wouldn't you think? Condos aren't always such spacious surroundings and not everyone has a large home.

For some places there realistically isn't much other place to go walking around and a lot of condos and homes on the beach are like that. A private beach doesn't mean less people by any means. It just means there are xyz qualifications for such usage of it. A public beach doesn't mean there are any more people than a private beach by any means. It just means it's open to the public. When we were in Hawai in 2016, which by the way has no private beaches, there was at most 10 people everyday, except one day where there was 30 for a bit. A ton of space available. It was in a highly residential part of Oahu away from where tourists would want to be but Hawaii residents and everyone else had equal access to it. That's just one example. However, you may not have been thinking about that context.

There's a lot of things I want to do right now that I'm not doing, so no, I don't have a lot of patience with it!
This may not be how you meant it, but it sounds like "Since I can't do what I want, no one else should be able to do what they want either!" Guess what. The beaches are open. And (according to posters) are being patrolled to make sure people follow social distancing. I'm assuming the people that are within 6-10 feet of each other are part of the same household. Presumably if they're in the same house together, they can be close to each other on the beach. If you want to assume different, go ahead.

I wasn't talking about what you personally are doing. You do whatever you feel is ok for you. I was trying to give context for some situations. If using your qualifications walking around your neighborhood is a luxury.

You're talking about the beach in general by your other comments at least it seems that way apologies if it's not; sparsely populated or not to you it's not a need. By that notion it's not a need for you to walk in your neighborhood,even if you opt not to. There are other places to get air and exercise..just open your window and walk around your place of residence as many times as you want to get that exercise. I'm sorry you feel anxious in your place because the lack of space. Surely you can recognize that emotion can happen to other people? Wouldn't you think? Condos aren't always such spacious surroundings and not everyone has a large home.

For some places there realistically isn't much other place to go walking around and a lot of condos and homes on the beach are like that. A private beach doesn't mean less people by any means. It just means there are xyz qualifications for such usage of it. A public beach doesn't mean there isn't any more people than a private beach by any means. It just means it's open to the public. When we were in Hawai in 2016, which by the way has no private beaches, there was at most 10 people everyday, except one day where there was 30 for a bit. A ton of space available. It was in a highly residential part of Oahu away from where tourists would want to be but Hawaii residents and everyone else had equal access to it. That's just one example. However, you may not have been thinking about that context.

I am talking about people flocking to beaches, not every stretch of beach available to walk on. I don't think it's socially responsible to go to a beach where there are a lot of other people.

And part of why I feel this way is because some people DON'T have a lot of options. If a beach is the only option for someone, should a family with a yard and a neighborhood with sidewalks be there making it more crowded for the people with limited options? A lot of people don't have large living spaces or outdoor spaces, but a lot do. If you told me that everyone at that beach lived in apartment and it was the only access to the outdoors they have, I'd feel less strongly about it, but I still wouldn't be there myself.

This may not be how you meant it, but it sounds like "Since I can't do what I want, no one else should be able to do what they want either!" Guess what. The beaches are open. And (according to posters) are being patrolled to make sure people follow social distancing. I'm assuming the people that are within 6-10 feet of each other are part of the same household. Presumably if they're in the same house together, they can be close to each other on the beach. If you want to assume different, go ahead.

Nope! I mean, if people are losing out on things they enjoy for the greater good of society, it's okay to expect others to do the same, and feel frustrated when they don't.

Yes. Because you can walk around a neighborhood and not be near other people. These beaches are full of people.

If you can go somewhere that you know no one else is going to be, go for it. What is being discussed is not an example of that.

I agree. I live in a city. I leave my house once every few days to walk around the same few blocks. I'd love to go to a park or a beach, but so do a lot of other people, so it's too crowded for me to feel comfortable. I would LOVE to go to an empty beach or park, but that is not a reality, and while that's not a reality, I acknowledge that it's best I limit my time outside and make sure to stay as far from others as possible.

You keep saying that but you aren’t getting it: NO they aren’t.

People are going to the beach but they are walking down the beach. They are social distancing. They are basically taking a walk in their neighborhood. But their neighborhood has sand, maybe your’s has a sidewalk and mine would be grass. It’s still just a walk.

Our governor just opened all the state parks up in our state starting tomorrow for boating and fishing. And some people are doing the same exact thing some here are. Having a fit and predicting the worst. How on earth anyone thinks a family that lives together riding a boat around a lake is going to infect anyone is beyond me but they are determined.

He also is allowing small businesses to open IF they can do curb side pick up type business. One reason is to let them try to save their business and,too, to give some relief on the number of people shopping at Walmart and Sam’s and such. But again, people are losing their minds. But those same people were picking up take out, curb side at their favorite restaurant. There is literally no difference.

I am talking about people flocking to beaches, not every stretch of beach available to walk on. I don't think it's socially responsible to go to a beach where there are a lot of other people.

And part of why I feel this way is because some people DON'T have a lot of options. If a beach is the only option for someone, should a family with a yard and a neighborhood with sidewalks be there making it more crowded for the people with limited options? A lot of people don't have large living spaces or outdoor spaces, but a lot do. If you told me that everyone at that beach lived in apartment and it was the only access to the outdoors they have, I'd feel less strongly about it, but I still wouldn't be there myself.
I sincerely hope things get much better very quickly for you folks in New York City. You are going through a horrific time.

Nope! I mean, if people are losing out on things they enjoy for the greater good of society, it's okay to expect others to do the same, and feel frustrated when they don't.
So be mad at the Florida officials who opened the beach. Many places you must wear masks while out in public. My state hasn't made that law/rule yet. So would you be frustrated if I told you I went to the store without a mask?

I guess some of you will be appalled that my county in Florida has kept golf courses open, 1 golfer per cart and follow social distance. Also boat ramps are open. 10 or less per boat and boats 50ft apart. Been that way during the whole time. Also parks green space and paths are open just no groups sports and playground equipment roped off.

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/mobi...-live/77-ff8a26bd-34cc-4763-afad-214cff4c131c

This may have already been shared, but a live cam and drone footage from Friday. This is what some of y’all are freaking out about?

I think we all really need to calm down.
Point taken. I think you can space out at the beach, just as you can space out on the trails. So many trails have hardly any people on them, you just have to look for the more isolated ones. There will be some idiots out there no matter where you go. Going to the grocery store is probably more of a risk than being in some outdoor settings. We all have to think about our choices. I'm pretty fanatical after a trip to the store. I carry my groceries indoors. I wipe them all down with a bleach mixture or throw out their cardboard containers. I then throw all my clothes in the wash. Then I take a shower. I leave my shoes by the door. I wipe down anything I've touched in the house when I came in, door knobs, counters etc. It's allot of work but I do it every time and I try to only go to the store every couple of weeks.

So be mad at the Florida officials who opened the beach. Many places you must wear masks while out in public. My state hasn't made that law/rule yet. So would you be frustrated if I told you I went to the store without a mask?

Yes, because you shouldn't have to be told to do something that will be better for everyone to do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter