Thousand flock to Florida Beaches

I think we need to be methodical about re-opening. Make changes where possible to stagger or separate employees/customers. Reduce interactions. Keep track so we can see what is working best. Limit talking where possible as that likely increases spread. Try different methods in different industries, then watch and make adjustments. I realize we can't stop spread but every reduction is huge when it plays out exponentially.

Why, because it can get political? It doesn't have to. But kind makes all this worry about what we should do kind of pointless if we can't discuss some of the biggest issues that need to be addressed. :)

But noted and I will refrain!
The DIS posting guidelines are very wise, because once discussions turn political both reason and manners go out the window.

In society, the fact that discussions like this quickly turn political is the reason things never get solved. People would rather fight than fix.

For the good of our society, it would be wonderful if issues could be investigated, discussed, and solved on a non-political basis -- but that very rarely occurs.

All of the above.

It's such a huge issue of this disease.

Health disparities are a long standing issue in the US and they haven’t even been acknowledged on a national basis let alone addressed. Honestly, I don’t know how to take many of the posts here . . . too many to quote . . . there appears to be a real tone of blaming the victims.
The problem of these health disparities has been studied a lot by medical and community health professionals. There are plenty of steps that could be implemented relatively quickly if TPTB were willing to commit to addressing the problem.

Health disparities are a long standing issue in the US and they haven’t even been acknowledged on a national basis let alone addressed. Honestly, I don’t know how to take many of the posts here . . . too many to quote . . . there appears to be a real tone of blaming the victims.
The problem of these health disparities has been studied a lot by medical and community health professionals. There are plenty of steps that could be implemented relatively quickly if TPTB were willing to commit to addressing the problem.

Yes, I've been discussing it in a few of my posts.
Chicago is moving forward in at least starting to address these issue thanks to Mayor Lightfoot, but we have a looooooooonggggggg way to go.

Which is why it is so important to start addressing these socioeconomic issues. Covid is proving that.
Would you really care about anything if you felt that no one cared about you? You were forgotten by the government, society?

Or will people not care as much when they see it's minorities with the highest death-rate? I wonder.

this always turns ugly on the dis or any message board.

IMO its not so much there is no vaccine for this but unlike the flu, there is nothing to treat people who have this. Once that happens it changes a lot of things. We also need more testing to really know more. So far all the studies that have been done have only been on small amounts of people.

Which is why it is so important to start addressing these socioeconomic issues. Covid is proving that.
Would you really care about anything if you felt that no one cared about you? You were forgotten by the government, society?

Or will people not care as much when they see it's minorities with the highest death-rate? I wonder.
Money has been poured into these areas for 50 years, free school breakfast, free school lunch, housing, food ,medical , hiring quotas, welfare payments and other things, free higher education, nothing seems to help. I wish you had an idea that would work. Giving these things doesn't.

Right, that's why I was expecting higher numbers in Miami.Agree. I've seen demographic estimates for Chicago of 30%-33% African-American population, so if they're 60% of the deaths, that's horrible.

The other thing is I was looking at confirmed cases, not deaths. Whatever the case incidence, I would expect a much higher mortality rate in minority communities because of the higher levels of a number of risk factors -- especially HTN, diabetes, and heart disease.
Obesity and smoking appear to be significant risk factors. This may explain why some young people with no "health issues" are being hospitialized and having a poorer prognosis

Health issues account for a good portion of high severity and death to the under 60 group, along with genetics and differences in healthy immune systems. Treatment plays a big role too. Overall we've done well with hospitals/ventilators so far. How does the supply of Covid19 medications look for your area? Something to consider as that will change local numbers for critical/death cases during a resurgence.

Georgia is opening hair and nail salons, bowling alleys, massage therapists and tattoo places on Friday. Here in NH the Govenor has allowed campgrounds to open, but due to an outrage, he may be taking that back, or modifying under what conditions they may open.

South Carolina is looking at op
That makes no sense to me. Wouldn't campgrounds be a GREAT place to social distance? Heck, open up every other spot/lot if you really need to.
The towns people are afraid of folks from Mass. and Ct. coming to the area (NH). And they are worried that their grocery stores and
hospital 's could get overrun. The truth of the matter is this area in NH will have people coming no matter what. People will come up to hike, or go to their summer camps or cabins. Many folks camp seasonally, it's their summer home. We shall see what the govenor decides to do. Right now they are allowed to be opened, but in an interview yesterday he said he'd look at it and is willing to change things if he feels it is too risky. He's under pressure from critics.

My SIL in NH said that they see more MA plates on the road than NH now so it looks like they are coming anyway is right.

My SIL in NH said that they see more MA plates on the road than NH now so it looks like they are coming anyway is right.
Yes, they are coming anyway. There are lots of outdoor things you can do here in the mountains. Plenty of trails to choose from where not many people go. Easy to maintain distances.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter