Three siblings killed getting on school bus

How do you not realize it is a school bus?
And even if you didn't, if you see something in the road ahead of you with red flashing lights and had no idea what it was wouldn't your instinct to be to slow down?
I didn't read anything stating where she was going, was this a route she took often at that time? If so then she was bound to have seen a bus on it before.

If this was her regular morning route to work would she not pass that same bus EACH morning at some point on that rural road. I know I pass the same school bus each day on my way to work on the same same road , maybe at different parts of that same road depending if i'm off by a couple of minutes. I do know I will meet the bus at some point.

I lived in a semi rural area as a kid and took the bus when going to school. A parent or older student waited with us and we crossed when safe and were on the proper side of the road waiting for the bus. No crossing when the bus came but already on that side of the of the road. Our school bus uses the already existing bus stops in more populated areas, and if it picked you up right near your home you had to have a parent cross with you so that you were waiting on the side of the road the bus door would open.

If this was her regular morning route to work would she not pass that same bus EACH morning at some point on that rural road. I know I pass the same school bus each day on my way to work on the same same road , maybe at different parts of that same road depending if i'm off by a couple of minutes. I do know I will meet the bus at some point.

I lived in a semi rural area as a kid and took the bus when going to school. A parent or older student waited with us and we crossed when safe and were on the proper side of the road waiting for the bus. No crossing when the bus came but already on that side of the of the road. Our school bus uses the already existing bus stops in more populated areas, and if it picked you up right near your home you had to have a parent cross with you so that you were waiting on the side of the road the bus door would open.
In the article it states that it wasn’t her normal routine.

I live in a rural area where being a bus driver is actually considered a pretty decent paying job, but for all of the reasons discussed (and more) I would never want the responsibility. Ours get up in the wee hours of the night, warm up their bus, drive over hundreds of rural miles dodging wildlife and crazy drivers, and are also expected to police the students' behaviors that are riding. If the driver is a few minutes early or late, the parent is calling the school to complain. If a student cries or throws up or hits someone, guess who has to deal with it? It would be great if there was a second adult/monitor with them, but I can't imagine in cash strapped districts that it would ever happen.

I thought of this thread while I drove carefully home from work yesterday, with all the cute little trick or treaters running all over....

Prayers for ALL involved.

Terri

In the article it states that it wasn’t her normal routine.
All the more reason to be MORE aware of the road and your surroundings when driving. Flashing lights are for only a handful of things usually some sore of obstruction on the road. Slow moving farm vehicles, buses, work crews and emergency vehicles. All which are reasons to SLOW down and watch for people on the sides of the road.

Something is very off about this case. She was released on $15k bond for killing 3 children?? She claims she saw “something flashing” but didn’t think to stop or slow down.
I’m not judging her either way as I don’t have all the facts.

But, that amount of bail or bond does not strike me as unusual for an act that has been deemed unintentional (so far). She also fully cooperated with the authorities as far as I know, and the court probably felt she’s not a flight risk.

Not being familiar with the workings of school buses, I honestly had no idea that kids crossed streets to get on and off. Our state law is that cars must yield to pedestrians in crosswalks, and they’ve done a lot with making the crosswalks bright and large, with signage, plus some with flashing lights. I can’t tell you how many cars don’t stop, you’d be nuts to enter the crosswalk until all cars have come to a stop. After school, there are several police officers directing traffic at the middle and high schools, kids know not to start walking u til the officers wave them on. Hopefully this tragedy changes policy.

All the more reason to be MORE aware of the road and your surroundings when driving. Flashing lights are for only a handful of things usually some sore of obstruction on the road. Slow moving farm vehicles, buses, work crews and emergency vehicles. All which are reasons to SLOW down and watch for people on the sides of the road.
I absolutely agree and have stated as much in almost every post I’ve made so far. I was answering the first part of your post. It wasn’t her normal route/routine and so no, she wouldn’t be encountering the same bus day after day.

She was released on $15k bond for killing 3 children??
I don't know if it's been stated what the bail is but that's just her bond not her bail.

I tried looking but couldn't find the exact amount for Fulton County after IN adjusted their laws in 2014 but it could be that the bond she was assessed was the bond set forth by the county's schedule for what she's been charged.

Just saw a report that it was 45 MPH on that stretch of the road. No mention of what her speed was though.
Also they stated that a National survey of school bus drivers in 2018 showed nearly 84,000 people illegally passed a school bus in one day, 3,000 of those in Indiana.

I'm pretty sure in the previous article being discussed, it said that besides just having dropped her husband off at work and it not being her regular route, there were also three children in the back seat of her truck. We don't know if that played into her distraction at all. I also thought I read that she had slowed to about 45mph from the description of the driver behind her. The thing is, if you look at the pictures of her Toyota Tacoma, the hood was smashed pretty significantly and sticking up in the air. She hit them hard. I have to wonder looking at the pictures if she slowed down at all?

children-bus-2-ap-er-181030_hpEmbed_3x2_992.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I look at those pictures of the front of her truck, and I have a tough time thinking she slowed down at all. I'm a former firefighter/EMT, I've been on plenty of MVAs--that's a pretty high impact.

The other thing I have an issue with is, she saw flashing lights, and didn't slow down, claiming she didn't recognize them as a school bus. Okay, but if not a bus, they'd likely be a tow truck helping a stranded motorist, or a police officer giving a ticket. In both of those cases, you should also slow down, because each involves people potentially being in the road (and being a bit distracted). So, if she was paying attention, she should have at least eased off the gas, maybe braked, long before she got close enough to see that it was a school bus. Even if it was a farm vehicle, as a PP suggested--they tend to be wide and slow and require extra caution when passing them.

I think it is plausible that the perfect storm created this disaster and this woman was an unwitting participant in the tragedy. Here she was just coming around a corner where she saw a large vehicle with lights. This is not your traditional old school bus in size and shape and kind of has the shape of a delivery truck or work van so it is plausible that in the dark conditions suddenly coming upon a vehicle that looks like this doesn't seem like a hazard. I honestly think this could happen to anyone. I'm not saying there shouldn't be consequences, but I don't think she is 100% to blame. No matter what happens to this woman, I'm sure the way she feels and will feel for the rest of her life is punishment enough.

The bus driver made an absolutely tragic mistake in waving those kids over. The school district is now liable, and their insurance will be paying out a hefty sum. Additionally, why wasn't the bus stop in the trailer park? We are talking about several grade school kids boarding the bus. It would probably only take an extra 20 seconds to make the stop in the park instead of on the road.

This whole thing makes me just absolutely sick. The sheer amount of emotional trauma this accident will inflict, from the parents, to the kids, the bus driver, the truck driver's family is just heartbreaking.

In her photo she is wearing glasses, maybe that did effect her vision with lights flashing. Still why wouldn't you slow down as you approaching something large in the road with flashing lights?

No kidding. So what if it wasn't a school bus... then it was a tow truck with a driver that might be out in the roadway or a disabled vehicle that could be blocking traffic, a construction crew dealing with an emergency issue, even a DNR crew dealing with an animal that was struck by a car. I can't think of a single situation in which "flashing lights on a two-lane country road" doesn't call for slowing down, watching for the unexpected in the road way, and proceeding with the utmost caution. Especially if it is dark enough not to see the situation clearly from a distance.

The thing is, if you look at the pictures of her Toyota Tacoma, the hood was smashed pretty significantly and sticking up in the air. She hit them hard. I have to wonder looking at the pictures if she slowed down at all?
I don't doubt that she hit them hard but I will note that its common for there to be crumple zones on a vehicle especially in the front. I don't have all the specifications for her truck but if indeed there was crumple zones it would look a lot like the picture just because of that. I also don't know if she slowed down at all or not just speaking towards your commentary on the damage.

How do you not realize it is a school bus?
And even if you didn't, if you see something in the road ahead of you with red flashing lights and had no idea what it was wouldn't your instinct to be to slow down?
I didn't read anything stating where she was going, was this a route she took often at that time? If so then she was bound to have seen a bus on it before.

I'm not defending the driver but at this time of year there are still a lot of farmers out with their equipment. Around here it's routine to see them out on highways early in the morning and late evenings with all of their lights on . I can understand how someone may think that they're coming up on a large piece of farm equipment from a distance. One article said that she had taken her husband to work and was driving back to take her brother to their moms house to get ready for school, according to the article this isn't part of her normal routine.

My first thought, after what a terrible tragedy, was cell phone as well. This will end up ruining two families, that of the children and that of the driver. Barring something like a health event that caused them to hit the children they should be facing a lengthy stay in prison.
Three families: The family that's lost three children ... the unrelated boy who was airlifted out and was listed as "critical, but now seems to be making progress ... and the driver. None of those families will ever be the same again.

Jeez back of the driver. 1. We don’t know what happened. 2. This person most likely did not wake up this morning and premeditate to hurt or kill a group of children this morning. Let’s keep our jails empty for this who do.
Her intentions are irrelevant. She is -- was? -- a children's director at a church. I assume that means she worked in day care. I doubt she's a bad person, but she did a very bad thing, and all the good intentions or good deeds in the world won't erase this mistake.

I've seen social media posts saying the school bus driver estimated the 24-year old driver's speed at 80 mph.
I wouldn't believe such details from social media.

I see their points which the article states is: "He says the family previously reached out to school officials to say it’s not safe for kids to cross the highway, especially at the time of the morning when it’s still dark. The school’s been warned. This is an issue. We have said this before. We’ve made complaints, not just them other parents. It’s not safe to walk a child across a highway, especially at that time because everybody’s going to work at that time".
I'm of two minds here: On the one hand, if the families who live in that trailer park have complained that the bus stop is unsafe, the school is Liable -- with a capital "L". On the other hand, if the families genuinely thought the bus stop was unsafe, why did they allow the kids to board the bus? I know, I know, parents who have to go to work, schedules ... but surely they had some options.

... plenty of children that unfortunately don't walk on the sidewalks, don't look both directions before crossing the street, dart out into the street to get to their friends house, if they are walking on the street they are not facing the correct way, even adults do it. You could have zero busses in our particular area but the risk is still there.
I agree that sometimes children dart out into traffic, and the driver genuinely isn't at fault ... but in this case, the driver ignored a huge yellow bus with flashing lights.

But, that amount of bail or bond does not strike me as unusual for an act that has been deemed unintentional (so far). She also fully cooperated with the authorities as far as I know, and the court probably felt she’s not a flight risk.
Yeah, an upstanding citizen ... employed by a church ... no criminal record. I'm not surprised that she received a rather low bond.

What they need to do, however, is put that driver on suicide watch.

The thing is, if you look at the pictures of her Toyota Tacoma, the hood was smashed pretty significantly and sticking up in the air. She hit them hard. I have to wonder looking at the pictures if she slowed down at all?
I thought the same thing. Looks like she hit those children at full speed.

The other thing I have an issue with is, she saw flashing lights, and didn't slow down, claiming she didn't recognize them as a school bus. Okay, but if not a bus, they'd likely be a tow truck helping a stranded motorist, or a police officer giving a ticket.
Yeah, even if she didn't recognize a school bus (how?), flashing lights NEVER MEAN "full speed ahead" or "all is well here". I don't see any way to defend her actions -- brain fart is not a defense.

One article said that she had taken her husband to work and was driving back to take her brother to their moms house to get ready for school, according to the article this isn't part of her normal routine.
I don't see how that makes any difference. You're responsible for your actions whether it's your regular route or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter