Three Things...Gratitude Thread

Local Newspaper daily - used to love getting my daily newspaper and reading it every night and doing the games

News both local & National watch it every night and most mornings and try to never miss the Sunday Morning news on CBS where they do all those stories

Books - can’t imagine a world without books - I read every night for at least an hour so grateful for books

Internet - great way to learn new things and make new friends !!

(Sat, 1/27) - 3 forms of media you are (or have been) grateful for

1. Used to be magazines - when my kids were little, I loved parenting magazines!

2. Internet - so much information at our fingertips

3. Radio - Love listening in the car - uplifting music or sometimes podcasts if I plan ahead

(Thu, 1/25) - 3 pairs that are opposites but you're grateful for both of them
1. Day and Night. Day to do things, and night for sweet sleep
2. Fire/Hot and Ice/Cold - Fire and heat for cooking, nice summer days and ice for cold water and cool winter days where you can put on snuggly sweatshirts
3. Sorry and Joy - Without sorrow, how would we know what joy is? And also, sometimes sorrow can bring positive things after.

(Fri, 1/26) - 3 things you're grateful for about your job
1. My coworkers. They are amazing, and I found out last week that I'll be reunited with one of my coworkers who had to resign a few years ago for family obligations
2. My supervisors. They are both amazing (I work out of two different offices) but one of them is transferring to a different office. So I hope her replacement is just as good!
3. The leave policy and holidays!! That's the one thing the state does well for its employees. I've been able to accumulate sick leave without limit, which means that even after taking off 5 weeks for my mom, I still have literal months worth of sick leave. And holidays. We get all the federal holidays, plus a couple of state ones, include one that I joke only Missouri state employees and their families have hear of. Ha!

(Sat, 1/27) - 3 forms of media you are (or have been) grateful for
1. The internet. As annoyed as I get sometimes about how people treat each other over the internet, it really is just amazing all you can do with it!
2. Music on MP3! I love that I still have my iPod as a designated music device.
3. Local news and sports. I love my Cardinals, an occasional/fair weather fan of the Blues, a "fair weather" fan of the Chiefs, and am trying to get on board with the the St. Louis MLS (soccer) team, because they had an amazing first season.

Hmmmm…media…

1. Weather resources- From my favorite weather app, The Weather Channel, National Weather Service/National Hurricane Center, Mike’s Weather Page, and Space City Weather.
2. Fashion magazines- I no longer buy them, but I used to love poring over the pages of Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, Mirabella, Elle, etc. Yes, some was about all of the bags and shoes I wanted to have, but I love the wearable art angle as well as the artistry in more editorial features.
3. Spotify- I ditched Sirius about a year ago. I justified the cost for a while because it kept me from buying songs on iTunes, but I found myself constantly changing stations. Between all of the existing media playlists and the one I assembled that’s equivalent to nearly 9 days of music…I’m really happy with it. It’s too massive to load to my phone for road trips with limited cell service, but i have plenty in my iTunes library to play during those times.

Media:
1. Internet—as someone who went to high school/college in the 80’s and very early 90’s, it’s amazing how much easier it is to access information on line as opposed to needing to physically go to a library.
2. Podcasts—entertaining on a drive.
3. Newspaper—I don’t get one anymore, but did for many years.

Good Sunday Morning! :wave:

#1 - My Chrissy Doll - you can lengthen or shorten a ponytail portion of her hair. She was my most favorite doll and I still have her tucked safely up in the closet. It’s the only toy that I have saved from my childhood.

#2 - My Girls American Girl Dolls - About 24 total. Each DD had/have 9 regular sized dolls, a set of Bitty Twins and one Bitty Baby. I gave DD25 her dolls last Spring and all of DD20’s are still here. Lots of wonderful memories tied to those dolls. Since we live right by Chicago, we took a lot of family trips to the AG Store.

#3 - Chinese Checkers - DD20 and I love playing this when she’s home. We’ll play for a few hours and we’re so competitive with each other. Lots of trash talking to each other and lots of laughs. So fun!

Playmobile kids were a huge favorite toy of mine growing up. I had created a classroom of students and their teacher using a styrofoam blue egg carton as their classroom. Each playmbile was named with a sibling. As I got older I paired them up as boyfriend/girlfriend, lol!

Play Doh when I was younger provided me a whole lot of fun. I have the vague memory of having a play doh toy frying pan that made a sizzling sound.

Stuffed animals. Soft and friendly looking were sure a cornerstone of my childhood. I still have Minty (Bunny) and Benjy (Dog)

Deck of cards - the number of games you can play with a deck of cards unlimited - also deck of pinochle cards

Board games I’m gonna lump them all because we had so many and we played them all the time
Some of my favorites is : scrabble / Yahtzee / monopoly / chance / aggravation top games in our house played constantly

My stuffed Snoopy ❤️❤️❤️ I still have him He’s almost as old as I am along with my stuffed dog and a little stuffed rabbit

Way into a adulthood we had Saturday night game night we played games with the kids then they would go to bed and the adults would play games all night we did this almost every Saturday night for decades

1. Home video game consoles and portables- It all started for us with my aunt and uncle’s Pong console. After that, we got the Atari 2600, while they got Intellivision and some mutual friends got ColecoVision. The Nintendo NES and Gameboy was the next wave. I think we got a Sega Saturn after that. In adult life, it started with the PlayStation. We got a Wii for the kids before upgrading to a newer PlayStation, and then there were the Xbox consoles. DH and DD15 have their own. They have several games they enjoy where they team up together and invite in friends. While I prefer the old GameBoy for Tetris, our phones have become the means for portable video games these days.

2. Fuzzy Pumper Barber Shop- While I enjoyed Play-doh, this was my ultimate Play-doh toy. The extruders worked so much better than any other Play-doh toy I ever owned or used. The hair molds also worked really well.

3. Lite Brite- The end result was always pretty and you could leave it turned on in the background while you moved on to other toys. The premade designs were nice, but it was also fun to have the blank sheets where you could really get creative. There was something really satisfying about pushing those pegs through the black paper.

Honorable mention to things like my original Cabbage Patch Kid, swing sets, Etch-a-Sketch and Fashion Plates.

1. Fisher Price Little People—my kids had lots of different sets—hours of fun.
2. Board games—I love them even now. I was so excited once my kids were old enough to play Candy Land. Not that I love Candy land so much, but it was a start.
3. Barbies—middle DD especially was my Barbie girl.

Another vote Play Doh - my mom used to make her own, the kind with cream of tartar, and it was so soft and perfect! You could tell when it was done cooking because all of a sudden it smelled right.

Definitely Legos - the most versatile toy I had, and probably one of the reasons I'm good at math. We took DS to Legoland when he was about 10, and I think I loved looking at the models as much as he did!

And from DS's childhood - Thomas the Train. We used to build tracks all through the house, and I have pictures of some of them.

:grouphug:Good afternoon to all! Love the shares. It would be fun to have our breakfast party sometime and perhaps play a game or with some favorite toys, too together. Reminiscence as we make new memories :)

WDWEPCOT, I also had a stuffed snoopy that I loved. I no longer have him though. Glad you have yours! :)

I just posted in the Kindness thread (Quarantine and Chill) and stopped by to check in this very dear to me thread before heading offline for the night. Wishing all of you, always, you know this, sweet dreams with love and care.

Dad Birthday Postcards Update to Share here, too.

Dad's birthday postcard surprise will be distributed over 10 binders! Each binder will have between 14 to 16 pages! God has beyond graced this gift! Each page inside a binder is a 8 1/2 by 11 paper protector sleeve that holds two postcards. This will give you an idea of just how many postcards there are! With all my heart, :thanks: dear friends for encouraging this along and contributing of course, too!

I do have one last related favor to even out the pages in the final 10th album which is WA State to Wyoming. This album also has 5 postcards from out of the US. Do any of you have any memories from WA State to Wyoming? Or out of country travel? If so, would you please PM them to me tomorrow? I will take create a postcard out of an index card or a piece of white cardstock paper with an image of the state or town on the front and a greeting from you on the back. Nothing you need to mail to me. I am trying to get 5 total postcards from these collective states. I would really appreciate it! Extra thank you and hugs. Love, of course, always!

Attachments

• Sweet Dreams.jpg
    Sweet Dreams.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 0
(Sun, 1/28) - 3 toys or games you're grateful for

1. Rummikub - our favorite game to play as a family, it's pretty quick and easy to learn! Lots of fun!
2. Yahtzee - another fun game easy for everyone to join in on!
3. Teatherball - my favorite playground game when I was a kid!

WARM WEATHER!!! 🌞🌞🌞
Never Winter - except to put those pesky bugs in hibernation!!! But still take the bugs over ice 🧊

Water - especially indoor plumbing or my most favorite oceans with a lovely sandy beach in front of them 🏝️🏖️🌊

Wood - you can build things you can burn it to stay warm and toast marshmallows You can refinish it and make it new do all kinds of things with wood

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter