Three Things...Gratitude Thread

(Thur, 2/15) - 3 women you are grateful for

1. Definitely my mom - great role model and person!
2. my sister - she has a pretty high powered job and somehow keeps it all together and family remains her priority!
3. My friend D - she is such a fun and motivated person - leaving places better than when she found them!

My mother-in-law. She loved me unconditionally, something I'd never really experienced before. She died on Thanksgiving day 2018, fairly unexpectedly (she had breast cancer, but we had no idea how sick she really was). My life changed that day, and I miss her desperately.

My friend Angela. I met her on the DISboards, in the spring of 2013? 2014?, when she was selling seats on her Illuminations cruise. We hit it off immediately, discovered how much we have in common, and the rest is history! We message every day, pretty much, and she knows me better than anyone else, I think.

I'm grateful for all those women in the 50s, 60s, and 70s, who stood up, bucked the system, and fought for the rights of women in this country. It blows my mind that my mother didn't know what company held the mortgage or life insurance policies when my dad died very unexpectedly, that she didn't really know how to write a check, that she voted for whomever my father told her to vote for. Many women risked their freedom, their jobs, even their lives, to get us the rights about which we never even give a second thought today.

My Gram...she taught me so much about life-and our talks have stayed with me all these years later
My small circle of female friends-we come from all different walks of life but I can connect to them each in different ways
My soccer ladies-such a strong group of women and the bond me have is fantastic

🤣🤣🤣 funny this is our topic today I just got into a knockdown drag out fight with somebody about women in society and how they are treated this week and I’m still mad about it!! Needless to say this person had very misogynistic attitudes towards women and their function and roles I’ll just say in life let’s just say he was really good about putting us in cute little boxes 😡😡
Coincidentally, I was just chatting to someone, last night, about how many movies are entitled 'man' (not boy), but 'girl' (not woman). A small thing in the scheme of things, but indicative of something much bigger. Luckily, he saw it straight away, so no frustration for me, but your post is a reminder of how ingrained these perspectives can be, to the point of being effectively unconscious, therefore not really understood, but clung to, regardless.

I am, also, just now watching the new season of Grantchester (which, I think is shown in the States?). It was originally set in the 50s, now into the early 60s. Anyway, one episode involved female Cambridge university students taking a bold stand against the double standards they faced (many others are also evident in this show) (but it is still entertaining!) -- and it reminded me how brave they were, when the odds were stacked against them so heavily. We have so much for which to thank them...

I'm grateful for all those women in the 50s, 60s, and 70s, who stood up, bucked the system, and fought for the rights of women in this country. It blows my mind that my mother didn't know what company held the mortgage or life insurance policies when my dad died very unexpectedly, that she didn't really know how to write a check, that she voted for whomever my father told her to vote for. Many women risked their freedom, their jobs, even their lives, to get us the rights about which we never even give a second thought today.
Exactly. :thumbsup2

And 💜 for your mom-in-law.

Last edited:
That’s funny Tink: I just said to myself that I’ve been focusing on family a lot and for this one I will look at famous people. ;)
For this I am going back to my early years and the books and bios I always took out of the library.
1. Amelia Earhart
2. Louisa May Alcott
3. Anne Frank

I didn't realize they had started up the 'debate' forum. I think, given what you're all saying, I'll steer clear.

I found this thread just as I was giving up on the forums - because of the way conversations turn, perspectives clash and misunderstandings abound! - and I am finding it so much healthier and more free focusing this way, rather than that. I like good conversation in person, though! :chat:

My mother-in-law. She loved me unconditionally, something I'd never really experienced before. She died on Thanksgiving day 2018, fairly unexpectedly (she had breast cancer, but we had no idea how sick she really was). My life changed that day, and I miss her desperately.
I completely relate to this. My mother-in-law has been gone for 17 years and I still miss her so much. She welcomed me into the family and loved me unconditionally. I had never heard the word love in my family and she not only said it, but demonstrated it always. ❤️

There are very few women in my family/life. My mother has been gone a very long time and I have no sisters.

That said, I am grateful to have my wonderful daughter-in-law, Sarah, my bf Kim, and my wonderful new neighbors which include several women.

Someday, I'd love to have a granddaughter so there's another female in the family! 💗

I appreciate all the wonderful women who participate in this thread daily too! Thanks for welcoming me.

Women:
1. My mom—we didn’t have a great relationship when I was a kid. I think she was young and very overwhelmed with motherhood. She was a much better mother to adult children—very welcoming to our husbands and a really good grandma. I will always be thankful for that.
2. Grandmothers—both lived within 30 minutes so we saw them a lot. Both helped out a lot with babysitting and visited a lot which helped at home.
3. Youngest sister—she is funny and kind and one of my favorite people.

Happy Friday Friends :wave:

#1 - Teachers - God bless all the teachers

#2 - Today - I’m always grateful to wake up to see what today will bring

#3 - Toyota - I love my Toyota so much and I loved my previous one too.

Today's Topic (Fri, 2/16) - 3 things you're grateful for beginning with T

Theatres - I love going to theatres for live performances or plays but I also love going to movie theatres.

Trains - I enjoy taking a train. We've taken the autotrain to Florida a few times. I like that we don't have to do the driving. I wish train transportation were more affordable and accessible. I don't believe there are any trains nearby now. We priced taking a train from DC to NY several times and it was always cheaper to fly. Seems crazy but it's true.

Telephone - I use my mobile phone everyday. We don't have a landline any more so my cell phone is always with me.

TV: not just sharing time with my husband watching new and old favorites, but using my TV as a large screen to watch all my photos go by, stopping on the videos of my granddaughter, reliving happy memories.
Trip planning: ever since we took our daughter to WDW for the first time in 1990 and were surprised and disappointed that iasw was closed for refurbishment, I have been a compulsive trip planner. Very grateful for all the info I've learned online and in books over the years.
Teaching: grateful and lucky to have known my vocation/calling since I was a little girl. Even as a retiree, I somehow end up in that role in all sorts of ways!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter