Three Things...Gratitude Thread

I love saying Y’all - i’m not from the south I don’t think you have to be from the south if I can borrow sins from United Kingdom I think United Kingdom can borrow sayings from the south - I think you should go for it work on your southern accent !!! After a while y’all be pretty good at it! Y’all come back here and let us know!!

Day trips

Our day trips right now are mostly

local beach, loving the pure white sand of the panhandle so near and dear

over to Destin for more robust shopping or different restaurants

after we heal up from some stuff, there are many other places within a couple of hours

Day Trips
I’m going to count going on field trips with my kids when they were little and in school I actually enjoyed it making memories

I spent several summers just taking vacations in my own hometown even though I had visited all these things as a kid when out of town relatives came in it was nice to do it again with my DD true to form something almost went wrong but we were making memories
I have taken day trip from Florida to go to the beach so I’m gonna count that one! You know how much I love the beach!!!

I am not one for road trips I don’t like them so as a general rule I don’t do them if I can fly somewhere I would much rather do that So I don’t have very many day trips that I have done for that reason- We never did this as a kid because we never took vacations my father was seasonal worker so if he could work he worked we never did day trips but my parents had this weird habit on Sunday they would do drives just get in the car and drive long long drives to nowhere just to be driving I never understood it and I never cared for it🤣🤣 so I guess you could count that as a day!! I counted it as torture!! Probably the reason why I don’t like getting in the car and going for road trips!! 🤣🤣

DAY TRIPS

I love a day out!

Growing up there was a particular family we were friends with, who were more like family (still are) and we'd have lots of those kinds of trips out with them - river picnics, cities, parks & gardens. 😍

With Mother's Day coming up very soon, I'm reminded of all the day trips mum/mom and I have enjoyed over the years - especially including theater matinees or nature/animals. (I must organize another one.) 😍

Sometimes, I love a solo day trip somewhere. It, kind of, clears the mind and gives me a chance to breathe.... 😘

I love saying Y’all - i’m not from the south I don’t think you have to be from the south if I can borrow sins from United Kingdom I think United Kingdom can borrow sayings from the south - I think you should go for it work on your southern accent !!! After a while y’all be pretty good at it! Y’all come back here and let us know!!
I'll do my best for y'all!!! ...How did that sound? I said it with my best Southern accent!! 😜 😂

Still have all kinds of madness going on, but travel of any kind is one of my biggest joys, so hopefully elaborating on today's gratitude will add some real joy to my day.

1. Day trips while traveling with DD15s travel ball team- We don't usually do much if it's travel around the greater Houston area, unless you count the possibilities of watching college ball if collegiate games match up with our schedule and downtime. That's also now far less likely now that most of the girls are high school age and we wouldn't be doing travel ball during the high school season...which aligns with the college season. If we're playing in Colorado, day trips on break days or half days of play to places like Rocky Mountain National Park or whitewater rafting are such a treat. We played in Columbia, TN last May and had a really fun daytrip to Nashville after a partial rainout. We were in Birmingham this past November and took a little side trip to Tuscaloosa during some downtime. Earlier that same month, the girls were playing in Clearwater, FL and it made for a nice daytrip into Tampa before flying home. If we can work out some details with one of our tournaments this summer, we'll be in CA and should have some daytrip time for Anaheim/Disneyland. I may even step away for a day or two with my older one (before she heads off to college) and day trip to Palm Springs or San Diego.

2. Day trips in transit- We're a big fan of massive road trips. We haven't been able to do much of this of late, but I like to seek out little things to make the journey as interesting as the major points of interest in points A, B, C, etc. During our last big one, the first big leg of the trip took us from Houston, TX to Medora, ND. Rather than drive straight to Medora, I built in day trips to OK City for the National Memorial and Softball Hall of Fame, another day trip to Pipestone National Monument in MN, and a stop in Fargo, ND since at that point it was a reasonable day stop along the way. Several legs further into the trip, instead of going straight from Yellowstone to Salt Lake City, I took us off course for a day trip to Shoshone Falls in Idaho since I had no idea when we'd ever have the chance again. I did something similar on a previous trip in Colorado (non-softball). We were supposed to go from Cortez (Mesa Verde NP) to Alamosa (Great Sand Dunes NP). While it was an out of the way day trip, I decided to veer off course and drive up to Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP near Montrose. Some make more directional sense than others. We were supposed to drive from Zion NP in UT to see Monument Valley in AZ. When I realized the route would take us through Glen Canyon, I added in a partial day trip to Horseshoe Bend.

3. Day trips near home- In our current location, day trips could be to places like Galveston or Lake Charles, LA. It's a bit much, but we have had some day trips involving Dallas and Austin. When I lived in Florida, day trips could be anything from trips to Disney and Universal or coastal areas like Homosassa Springs and St. Augustine. Day trips changed a little when my parents moved to the FL west coast, but the changes were more significant when they moved Ft. Lauderdale area. If we're staying with them, day trips are places like the Everglades, South Beach, or Key West. When I lived in upstate NY, day trips were often places like the Finger Lakes, the Adirondacks, or even areas heading towards Albany for spots like Little Falls. I was too young to remember our time in Georgia, but for the years we lived in Ohio, day trips often involved places like Serpent Mound or driving into Kentucky (Mammoth Cave was one) or Indiana (more little things tied to work trips for my dad). I spent most of my time growing up in NJ and we had two houses (I know- sounds spoiled), not to mention family in different parts of the state, so day trips could be all over the place. If we were at our main residence, which was more central NJ/NY metro area, day trips were often hiking in the Watchungs, boating in Round Valley (during my dad's sailing years- a short-term interest), or popping into NYC for a museum, show, etc. Being on the NJ side, Liberty State Park was another popular day trip. If dad was up for more of a drive, historical places like Morristown would enter the mix or even eastern PA for places like Roadside America or the Stroudsburg Railroad. If we were visiting family in south Jersey, we'd sometimes pop into Philly to visit the Franklin Institute or drive to Atlantic City or see Lucy the Elephant in Margate. He once even went as far as Cape May for a day trip. If we were visiting my maternal grandparents, day trips might be to Monmouth, the twin lights (Navesink) in the Atlantic Highlands, or their favorite area farmer who had the most adorable farmer's market with the best produce. If we were at our summer home down the shore, day trips could be land or sea. My dad loves saltwater fishing and crabbing, so day trips could be miles offshore or near scenic crabbing spots in the bay areas. Land trips could be to a nearby county park, Great Adventure (Six Flags), or even farther down the shore to spots like Brigantine and historic Smithville.

I like variety and don't like feeling confined to one spot, so I'm grateful for all of them!

I'll do my best for y'all!!! ...How did that sound? I said it with my best Southern accent!! 😜 😂

I have lived in "y'all using" areas for nearly three decades and I still can't bring myself to say it! 🤣 My kids do, my husband does, and nearly everyone I know here says it, but I am and probably will forever be "You Guys."

Still have all kinds of madness going on, but travel of any kind is one of my biggest joys, so hopefully elaborating on today's gratitude will add some real joy to my day.

1. Day trips while traveling with DD15s travel ball team- We don't usually do much if it's travel around the greater Houston area, unless you count the possibilities of watching college ball if collegiate games match up with our schedule and downtime. That's also now far less likely now that most of the girls are high school age and we wouldn't be doing travel ball during the high school season...which aligns with the college season. If we're playing in Colorado, day trips on break days or half days of play to places like Rocky Mountain National Park or whitewater rafting are such a treat. We played in Columbia, TN last May and had a really fun daytrip to Nashville after a partial rainout. We were in Birmingham this past November and took a little side trip to Tuscaloosa during some downtime. Earlier that same month, the girls were playing in Clearwater, FL and it made for a nice daytrip into Tampa before flying home. If we can work out some details with one of our tournaments this summer, we'll be in CA and should have some daytrip time for Anaheim/Disneyland. I may even step away for a day or two with my older one (before she heads off to college) and day trip to Palm Springs or San Diego.

2. Day trips in transit- We're a big fan of massive road trips. We haven't been able to do much of this of late, but I like to seek out little things to make the journey as interesting as the major points of interest in points A, B, C, etc. During our last big one, the first big leg of the trip took us from Houston, TX to Medora, ND. Rather than drive straight to Medora, I built in day trips to OK City for the National Memorial and Softball Hall of Fame, another day trip to Pipestone National Monument in MN, and a stop in Fargo, ND since at that point it was a reasonable day stop along the way. Several legs further into the trip, instead of going straight from Yellowstone to Salt Lake City, I took us off course for a day trip to Shoshone Falls in Idaho since I had no idea when we'd ever have the chance again. I did something similar on a previous trip in Colorado (non-softball). We were supposed to go from Cortez (Mesa Verde NP) to Alamosa (Great Sand Dunes NP). While it was an out of the way day trip, I decided to veer off course and drive up to Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP near Montrose. Some make more directional sense than others. We were supposed to drive from Zion NP in UT to see Monument Valley in AZ. When I realized the route would take us through Glen Canyon, I added in a partial day trip to Horseshoe Bend.

3. Day trips near home- In our current location, day trips could be to places like Galveston or Lake Charles, LA. It's a bit much, but we have had some day trips involving Dallas and Austin. When I lived in Florida, day trips could be anything from trips to Disney and Universal or coastal areas like Homosassa Springs and St. Augustine. Day trips changed a little when my parents moved to the FL west coast, but the changes were more significant when they moved Ft. Lauderdale area. If we're staying with them, day trips are places like the Everglades, South Beach, or Key West. When I lived in upstate NY, day trips were often places like the Finger Lakes, the Adirondacks, or even areas heading towards Albany for spots like Little Falls. I was too young to remember our time in Georgia, but for the years we lived in Ohio, day trips often involved places like Serpent Mound or driving into Kentucky (Mammoth Cave was one) or Indiana (more little things tied to work trips for my dad). I spent most of my time growing up in NJ and we had two houses (I know- sounds spoiled), not to mention family in different parts of the state, so day trips could be all over the place. If we were at our main residence, which was more central NJ/NY metro area, day trips were often hiking in the Watchungs, boating in Round Valley (during my dad's sailing years- a short-term interest), or popping into NYC for a museum, show, etc. Being on the NJ side, Liberty State Park was another popular day trip. If dad was up for more of a drive, historical places like Morristown would enter the mix or even eastern PA for places like Roadside America or the Stroudsburg Railroad. If we were visiting family in south Jersey, we'd sometimes pop into Philly to visit the Franklin Institute or drive to Atlantic City or see Lucy the Elephant in Margate. He once even went as far as Cape May for a day trip. If we were visiting my maternal grandparents, day trips might be to Monmouth, the twin lights (Navesink) in the Atlantic Highlands, or their favorite area farmer who had the most adorable farmer's market with the best produce. If we were at our summer home down the shore, day trips could be land or sea. My dad loves saltwater fishing and crabbing, so day trips could be miles offshore or near scenic crabbing spots in the bay areas. Land trips could be to a nearby county park, Great Adventure (Six Flags), or even farther down the shore to spots like Brigantine and historic Smithville.

I like variety and don't like feeling confined to one spot, so I'm grateful for all of them!
This is one of my favorite things about the US! 🤟

There are pros and cons to living in the UK or North America, but a couple of my favorites about your side of the pond are the sheer space and all the variety and scope for travel and adventure. 😍

P.S. Ooh, I just looked out of the window and the sky is beautiful early evening pink. ...Just appreciating that for a moment.

Y’all be needin to work on y’allin - “you guys” ain’t ah cut it - just ain’t right !! Sounds to New York !! ( nothing wrong with NY) but I think more yous guys when I see it - think my pal Vinny
While most of the southeast says "y'all", I think most of the rest of the USA says "you guys". It's definitely not just New York saying that.

Y’all be needin to work on y’allin - “you guys” ain’t ah cut it - just ain’t right !! Sounds to New York !! ( nothing wrong with NY) but I think more yous guys when I see it - think my pal Vinny
While most of the southeast says "y'all", I think most of the rest of the USA says "you guys". It's definitely not just New York saying that.
1708376091842.png

As you can tell, I missed the "DAY" part of today's post and just wrote about favorite trips, so now I'll talk about DAY TRIPS!

Last summer, I drove out to Bar Harbor for the day. I have a wonderful friend who lives in Philadelphia. She and her daughter were on a "cruise to nowhere" that ended up going to New England and Canada, with a day in Bar Harbor as one of their ports. I drove out and spent the afternoon with them! I get to see Angela maaayyybeeee once every couple of years or so, so this was a lovely surprise!

When she was in high school and college, DD was a dancer and then soloist, choreographer, and contributing artist with a local ballet company. Every year they put on Nutcracker, doing 8-10 performances throughout northern Maine. A favorite day trip was always getting together with the other dance moms (were were the MOB... Mothers Of Ballerinas) to drive out to Machias for the first performance of the season. Every year, we'd drop our dancers at the bus and then go to breakfast together, drive out to Machias, have lunch, and then go to the show. It was always a fun day!

This past summer, DD and I did the "4 corners" of Maine. We took 4 day trips and went as far as we could in the state in each direction: North, South, East, and West. We saw Madawaska and Fort Kent to the north, York and Kittery to the south, Lubec to the east, and Newry to the west. They were long days but fun, filled with chat, interesting food stops, and a lot of laughs and memories!

What’s funny…I grew up in the NY metro part of NJ. Everyone expects me to say yous guys, but I don’t and I’ve never heard it outside of tv and movies. Not to say it doesn’t happen, but not in my circles. I do, however, say daw-ter, dawg, cawfee, etc. 😁

@TiggerTrigger :grouphug:
Day trips

My home town is destination, so I will be bucking the trend, heading north when most will be heading south to NJ shore.
Day trips

Phillies home Games

We take the Cape May Lewes ferry over to meet friends in Delaware. That’s always a nice trip.

I am interested in NationalHistoric Sites, and there’s one or two places in NJ with ties to Thomas Edison, so, I would like to get to them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter