Three Things...Gratitude Thread

I ended up on here much more than I intended, so I thought I'd do another word of gratitude.

Lying in a warm, cosy bed
Airplanes - how lucky are we to be able to travel worldwide?!
United Kingdom of...
Great Britain & Northern Ireland - home!
Hummus - one of my favorite snack meals

A nice way to end the day. Goodnight! 😴

Good Morning! :wave:

There‘s a lot of outdated things around here from both mine and DH’s grandparents that have passed away.

#1 - Retro Tools - my DH took his and my grandpa’s tools and he uses them all the time. He always tells me how they are better than what he would buy today. So I’m grateful for them because if it helps him it also benefits me 🙂

#2 - Retro Christmas Decorations - I love antique Christmas decorations. I have my & DH’s Christmas decorations and some from antique stores.

#3 - Retro MixMaster - DH’s old & still functional MixMaster is sitting here waiting for DD20 to get her own place. DD’s middle name is this grandma’s name, so anything that was this grandma’s is special to her. DD has always enjoyed baking, so this MixMaster will be a great addition to her kitchen one day.

Love all your shares from yesterday. Such beautiful flowers, too! Trigger Tigger, prayers for your daughter. So happy you enjoyed your trip.

Snail Mail💌A simple kind note absolutely can make such a loving difference.

I have been enjoying rewatching the old PAX TV Show, It's a Miracle.

I say this all the time because it is so true and fits my belief in trying to appreciate simple joy, original versions of most things.

@TiggerTrigger, no particular kind of cream cheese, and I use the sliced green olives in the sandwich. For the bagel... no idea, I buy the olive cream cheese by the 1/2 pint at Bagel Central! However- they are good sized green olives with pits (which occasionally show up in the cream cheese).

We don't have a lot of bagel options here and I haven't seen anything pre-made with olives, so I'd be making my own custom cream cheese. I'm usually adding in capers if I want that briny touch to my bagel, but green olives sounds like a nice alternative. Thanks for the idea!

OMG this is right up my alley I am old-school garage sailing estate sailing back before it was cool!! 😎 My thing to do back in the day was go to the flea market !! Because we were poor🤣🤣🤣 that’s how we got things!! my whole house is full of old stuff and I love it!! 😍

I did get lucky and I do mean lucky because my father hoarded that stuff and didn’t want me or my sister to get any of it but I did manage to snag a few items that belong to my mother And they’re not heirloom items they’re every day items but they remind me of some I will say content times I can’t go as far as happy but close and I was sneaky and got a whole big box of her collection of glass items hid away out of the house before he could give them to his 2nd wife who literally just threw the stuff away hence why I was trying to snag the stuff before he could give it to her she didn’t want it she was pitching it it’s a long story I’m not getting it

Old set of China - never knew my mother had this I found it and got it out of the house I never seen it as a child we never once used it I never knew she even had it I happen to find it promptly removed it my father never asked about it so I’m not sure if he even knew about it but I have it I have used it a few times for holidays

Pots & Pans - yes they are SO old they just don’t make them like that anymore and they are still in great shape and I use them

Drying Rack - this thing is older than I am and I’m no spring chicken every week when I go to use it I have to re-tighten the screws that I’ve replaced I don’t know how many times I literally tell myself every week you need to use some wood glue and put those things back in there so they’ll stop falling out should I replace it probably am I going to no - I’ve been using it since I was a kid and I’m just gonna keep using it until I’m dead It’s got to be at least bare minimum 70 years old??

I was fortunate several years ago to go to one of the best estate sales ever - this person was a hoarder beyond believe it was like going back in a time capsule you literally could not walk through the house this person had so much stuff the sale lasted three days for two weekends and there was so much stuff! I spent so much money there 🤣🤣! And I could’ve spent more it was just unimaginable! She had items going back 70 years or more still in the original boxes! I purchased so many things there I can’t even begin to start listing them Best estate sale I’ve ever been to or probably ever will go to! A lot of the items I have in my house that are really old I purchased at that estate sale including some I’m listing in this post - I have very happy memories of going to that sales several times - it was just unbelievable

I have several pieces of glass - decorative glass / decorative bottles some of its Fenton glass some of it belong to my mother some of it I have collected through the years from estate sales garage sales - I love collecting glass! I don’t love cleaning it because I have it all on display so I do have to clean it several times throughout the year so it looks nice 👍

My hobby that I can’t always practice anymore because of my injury but I still kinda do even though I’m not supposed to
I love refinishing furniture - I’ve been known to pick up pieces along the side of the highway yes I’m crazy - But hey if you see something along the highway you might as well grab it I mean what’s wood glue for??
I’ve been lucky to obtain several really nice pieces that just needed to be refinished I have not sold these I’ve got them for myself
One of my favorite pieces was an armoire I purchased from a woman I worked with I paid $100 for this it retail for well over 1000
I refinished it several years after I got it and it is absolutely beautiful it’s also absolutely huge! I made it into a bar ! It’s one of my favorite pieces of furniture that I own!

I have three steamer trunks that I got at an estate sale - I’m not sure how old they are but they’re pretty old! Two full size one is quite a bit smaller I think they’re absolutely beautiful

Always looking for old things !! I’m constantly at goodwill or estate sales or moving sales scouting out items - you never know what’s going to pop up !!

1. Diner Table - I have a retro/MCM diner themed room...boomerang/starburst wall, checkerboard floor, diner signs, red and white glittery chairs, vintage glass pieces, stained glass doorway accent, etc. DH took it over as his office when covid hit, but the table in there is one of my great finds. I wanted a large vintage style metal/formica-laminate table with either a cracked ice or boomerang tabletop pattern in gray. Everything new was ridiculously expensive and I wasn't able to find anything suitable at any of the area antique shops. I found a guy on ebay from Wisconsin selling one in very good condition (just one little chip) for a few hundred instead of a few thousand...and that included shipping to the Houston area. One of these days, I'm going to get that room back and get to use my table again!

2. Ornaments - I love all of the old reflector and finial style glass ornaments. I've never invested in any high quality ones, but I found a bunch at the dollar store one year that are reminiscent of my grandparents' old box of ornaments. They are some of the cheapest ones that go on my trees, but I treat them with a lot of care.

3. Grand and Great Grandparents' China Pieces - Over the years, I've inherited a number of formal dining pieces from my maternal grandmother and great grandmother. I have everything that's left of my great grandmother's china. I think it was originally service for 12 (or more), but pieces have broken over the years. I still could probably handle eight and there are still quite of a few of the serving pieces intact. I never use it. It sits in the china cabinet above my wedding china so that I don't bump it when I'm moving pieces. Several of my grandmother's serving pieces are more neutral and go with my china, so some of hers come out for holidays. There are some things of hers, like the remnants of her teacup and saucer collection, that stay put. We have a built in display case in our kitchen where those are showcased. Part of the original home's design from the early 70s, but it's a nice way to put these pretty things on display...especially since we're in the kitchen more than the dining room.

Like others, I love the old Christmas decorations and ornaments. I have resisted LED lights for a long time now and will use my old ones as long as they still work. I have these cardboard decorations that I put on the walls every year. They have rich dark colors and some have sections that feel like velvet. Bought in a 5 and dime ages ago. And to add a WDW note: love HS’s retro Christmas decorations!

I couldn’t make it through the day without a little retro music. Love the oldies from my time (50’s through early 70’s) but also love the old standards, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Judy Garland, etc. Still have all my vinyls, including every Beatles album.

Before I had back problems, I really loved driving a stick shift. I had an old VW bug and loved driving it, except when it rained. (IYKYK) We had a great mechanic in NY who used to restore old Saabs. I loved my old 96, with its stick shift on the column. That car certainly got some looks in parking lots!

I have several pieces of glass - decorative glass / decorative bottles some of its Fenton glass some of it belong to my mother some of it I have collected through the years from estate sales garage sales - I love collecting glass!
I love glass too! I grew up going to the Corning Glass Museum and have been to a smaller one in Sandwich more recently.

3 outdated things I'm grateful for -

I still have a VCR/DVD player. I have some old home movies in that format, and also occasionally watch a regular movie that way when the cable or internet is having problems.

Agree with "snail mail" - I still love to send and receive birthday and Christmas cards.

Wall calendars. Even though I find it very handy to put things in my phone, I still keep a traditional calendar as well.

Three retro things I am grateful for are:
1. My Pyrex bowl sets. My mom used them when we were growing up and I have purchased my own over the years at tag sales and auctions. I use them almost every day.

2. Pen and paper. I like to make handwritten lists. I know a lot of people put everything into their phones, but there are times that I want a paper copy that I can carry with me. It helps me to see things more clearly and I can spread things out in front of me on paper.

3. Older comedians, movies and TV shows that were not so afraid of offending someone with their humor. We all have to tiptoe around these days. Love George Carlin and Steven Wright.

Last edited:
I couldn’t make it through the day without a little retro music. Love the oldies from my time (50’s through early 70’s) but also love the old standards, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Judy Garland, etc. Still have all my vinyls, including every Beatles album.
😍😍😍
3 outdated things I'm grateful for -

I still have a VCR/DVD player. I have some old home movies in that format, and also occasionally watch a regular movie that way when the cable or internet is having problems.

Agree with "snail mail" - I still love to send and receive birthday and Christmas cards.

Wall calendars. Even though I find it very handy to put things in my phone, I still keep a traditional calendar as well.
Wall calendars! Yes! I have a beautiful world travel poster calendar this year. I love it! ...Also, snail mail. :thumbsup2
Three retro things I am grateful for are:
1. My Pyrex bowl sets. My mom used them when we were growing up and I have purchased my own over the years at tag sales and auctions. I use them almost every day.
Pyrex is king! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter