Three Things...Gratitude Thread

Dry Erase Board notes - We had one on our door during my freshman year of college. It was always funny to see who would write to us. We've done something similar on cruises. Most people wrote very nice things.
Ooh, I love dry erase boards! (We call them whiteboards.) I use one for meal planning and it's just so satisfying to write on ...and to rub off!!!

so many things, but...

1. My dad passed away when I was 6. I have the hand written eulogy by his best friend. I love it so much. It sounds like he is describing me in it sometimes. 😢

2. My grandfather kept diaries from every single day in WW2. They are very small and teeny tiny as he wasn't allowed to do that. These diaries contain both: things that are beautiful and things that are horrifying.

3. A letter from my dad on my first day of kindergarten. He was sad he had to go to work and miss seeing me off.

I also love letters from my kids and my school notes that I still have (even folded up the way they are supposed to be).

so many things, but...

1. My dad passed away when I was 6. I have the hand written eulogy by his best friend. I love it so much. It sounds like he is describing me in it sometimes. 😢

2. My grandfather kept diaries from every single day in WW2. They are very small and teeny tiny as he wasn't allowed to do that. These diaries contain both: things that are beautiful and things that are horrifying.

3. A letter from my dad on my first day of kindergarten. He was sad he had to go to work and miss seeing me off.

I also love letters from my kids and my school notes that I still have (even folded up the way they are supposed to be).
:hug:

Food:
1. When I think of picnics I think mostly of watermelon, but also
2. Potato salad
3. Sandwiches—I really like sandwiches.

Handwritten things:
1. I have several recipes in my mom’s handwriting. Sometimes it gives me a little jolt when I see her writing. Her handwriting was really nice and I was surprised how little it changed during her Alzheimer’s battle.
2. Notes from my girls. I occasionally would have them hand write apology letters to each other and to me when they were being particularly rude or difficult. I have a bunch of them and they make me laugh. “Dear mom. I am sorry I said that you are not the boss of me. I now know that you are the boss of me. Love, xxxxx”
3. I have some letters from my husband when we were apart during college.

Just my opinion but I do wish they would teach handwriting still - years from now kids are not going to be able to read these types of things unless they learn it a lot of family history will be lost . So sad !!
Couldn't agree more. My Mom will send handwritten cards to my kids in beautiful cursive writing and they will ask me to read it aloud sometimes. Such a bummer but this is the age we live in.

I have a 5"X7" manila envelope addressed to me, in my mom's handwriting, mailed when we lived in PA in 1999. I use it to store the unpaid bills (I sit down at the end of the month and schedule all payments at one time). My mom died in 2005, so I like having this keepsake. I have taped the envelope seams several times to keep it intact, but her writing is still on it, undisturbed.

I also have a scrap of paper listing all my paternal aunts and uncles, by first and middle name. It's written in my dad's handwriting. They've all died now, so it's nice to have this. They also had a lot of nicknames (like Uncle Gilly) so it's nice to really know who is who! I also have the letter my dad wrote to my mom on the night of my birth (I'm the first child) as well as some anniversary, birthday, etc cards he gave her.

I have a letter hand-written by a neighbor that was sent to my mom when he learned that my father had died. This neighbor, who was only 19, was stationed in Viet Nam at the time.
Wow! what a treasure to have those.

so many things, but...

Along with Leebee, these are absolute treasures and will always mean more that saved texts, emails.

so many things, but...

What special memories!

OMG loved our wall phone when I was a kid !!! We had our own line because my father worked construction and had to call in daily to find out where he was working that day no party line for us !! Plus we had a super long cord !!!!!!

All our relatives lived out of state so we always got to chat with them on the phone - after 7 when the rates were cheaper of course !!!

Never any restrictions on talking on phone only one was if a parent needed it so you could talk to your friends for hours !!! Long cord so you could go down the hall with it and have privacy !!
I used to babysit a LOT which meant talking on the phone all night while kids were sleeping !!!

Getting my first Apple phone !! Having the internet everywhere I went - coolest thing ever !!!! Instant camera with you all the time !! No more bringing a camera to the Parks with you \ just use your phone !!

Good Morning!

I’m not a big phone talker - in fact, I really don’t enjoy it very much. I do talk on the phone, but not to many people. For 36 years I’ve been closely working with the public and when I’m home, I don’t want to talk on the phone - I want some quiet time. But, I am grateful for the phone for all the obvious reasons.

I’m narrowing it down to my cell phone….

#1 - It allows me to call people from my car - I mainly call my mom multiple days a week to see how she’s doing and to fill her in on what’s going on with us.

#2 - It allows me to FaceTime my DD20 - I love FaceTiming her. We do this a few times a week. We talk on the phone almost every day and absolutely text each other every day. A few more weeks and then she’s home - I can hardly wait. I miss my best friend so much.

#3 - It allows both sets of parents to call me anywhere anytime - this is comforting to know with them being in their elder years.

Good morning dear friends:hug:

I agree with you dear Slo about not being a huge talking on the phone person. I would rather talk with someone in person. Dad and I have a picture of Grandma (his Mother) talking on the phone to me. Dad always said that was why she looked so happy in it. What grace it was that God gave me Grandma (and Grandpa and Dad). He also gifted Grandma and I a couple years as small town neighbors and currently this precious time living with my Dad.

As a child I was not always in a healthy or safe situation. The phone often was a refuge. As an adult I have realized even deeper that on walks to a public pay phone as a kid, I was kept safe in the Company of Jesus my Savior. He was extra beside me.

These days phone cameras are so handy as is I admit Caller ID and texting. I still would rather talk to someone in person :)

(Thu, 4/25) - 3 reasons you're grateful for phones

1. Grateful for the ability to get ahold of someone in an emergency
2. Grateful to be able to text with our phones so easily (like others prefer texting to always talking)
3. Grateful to be able to store so much information that we can easily access.

Ooh, I love dry erase boards! (We call them whiteboards.) I use one for meal planning and it's just so satisfying to write on ...and to rub off!!!

The kids and their teachers also refer to them as whiteboards. It confuses the heck out of me 😂 I have some friends that use old school chalkboards for their meal writing, but marker is cleaner than chalk dust.

I don't have a cell phone, so there isn't a whole lot for me to love about phones. However...
It was a lifeling to my friends when I was a teen.
Love being able to order pizza- it's ready when I go get it.
Um... I guess I like DH's cell phone for directions (he uses Waze) but I always print out a hard copy map and directions before we go anywhere. What happens if you lose your cell signal?

Telephones ☎️

I have mixed feeling about phones! But I am grateful for the simple ability to talk to people ...

...To keep in touch and catch up

...For mutual support and comfort

...To make appointments and get information.

If I could, I'd take us all back to a time before phones had cameras. 'Dumb' phones and the ability to text are great ::yes::, but, IMHO, the modern preoccupation with photographing and filming sooo much hasn't helped society's collective mental health.

Also, If I could, I'd have one of these https://www.radiosrs.net/Antiques/templ.php?pid=60&collection=Phones in a pale milkshake pink, with a rotary dial!!!! 😍

ETA: I, also, don't love talking on the phone too much (so texts are very handy). I still think the pink phone would make it better, though!!! 🤣🤣

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter