• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Three weeks at WDW and no park entries

Canadian Tom

DIS Veteran
We just returned from three weeks at WDW, BCV(2 weeks) and OKW(1 week). Never went into the parks and had a great time. One of the most relaxing trips I've ever had. Did a ton of walking. The biggest problem was finding someplace to eat. It was so crowded, reservations were impossible to get, but we ate well. Talking to others who went into the parks and were outraged at the length of the lines, 1-2 hours for a ride. Others said they had Genie + and it was awful too. They won't be doing Genie + again, they said it wasn't worth it. Canadian Tom

We just returned from three weeks at WDW, BCV(2 weeks) and OKW(1 week). Never went into the parks and had a great time. One of the most relaxing trips I've ever had. Did a ton of walking. The biggest problem was finding someplace to eat. It was so crowded, reservations were impossible to get, but we ate well. Talking to others who went into the parks and were outraged at the length of the lines, 1-2 hours for a ride. Others said they had Genie + and it was awful too. They won't be doing Genie + again, they said it wasn't worth it. Canadian Tom
It would be fun to hear more about your no parks trip. Sounds like a real vacation!

Sounds great. We've reached a point where our park visits are spent mostly strolling and people watching, but I get it.

Well: Here was a typical day: Went to the hot tub at about 8:30am for an hour. Back to the room for breakfast and get ready for the day. Left the room around 10:30 am for an adventure. Some days bus to MK walk around the lake to Poli back to GF for lunch or Contep for lunch. Took the bus back to Hollywood Studios and walked or rode Skyliner to BCV, have a rest, go down to the quiet pool for a dip and sit. Planned where to have dinner and after dinner. Walk after dinner depended on where we ate. A walk around the Boardwalk was always a great way to end the day.

On a couple of days took the bus(Lynx) to Celebration and Publix for groceries or bus to Outlet Mall and Publix. A couple of times walked from Disney Springs to Miller's Ale House for dinner specials (Monday and Thursday) and groceries at Winn-Dixie.

There were so many places for walks and people watching without going into the parks. We did visit all the resorts for a walk and meal except Animal Kingdom Lodge. It was great.

Any specific questions you want me to answer, just ask. I should also say that we did't have a car either. Thanks Canadian Tom

We are talking about these types of vacations in the years to come, especially if things in the parks keep on the path they are going.
We have DVC and love staying in the resorts, but the parks are not as great as they once were, especially for the price.
We have loved our time at the Boardwalk area, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Old Key West, enough so that we know we would have a great time just doing a resort only vacation.

No, we didn't need to use our points, we usually do two weeks but just decided to do a third week at OKW.
I understand not going to parks now with the crowds and Genie+. But I sure wouldn't go there just to stay in their hotels and pay their exorbitant hotel prices. We have done that many years and have decided to visit other parts of the country now. I am not sure we will ever go back.

We're going back this October to stay at Saratoga Springs for 7 nights before taking an 8-day Caribbean Cruise. After the cruise we will stay two more nights back at Saratoga Springs. We probably will not go into any of the parks. The price to get into a park, having to make reservations, the cost of Genie+, and the massive crowds have just turned us off. Like you said, there's so much to do at the resorts, DS, and just walking around.

We just came back from a fun week offsite. We had Disney dining reservations five days and bought refillable mugs. We always went an hour before our reservation and stayed a couple hours after. We did the monorail loop to visit the gift shops, hit the quick service sites for ice tea or coffee, walked the grounds and found nice spots to sit and people watch. We checked out the Easter egg displays, rode the boats, tried the skyliner, checked out the Riviera Resort, and generally had a great time. We never stay onsite unless we get a discounted rate. It’s no hardship staying at a nearby condo resort with bigger/more pools than the Disney resorts. This trip was the best of both worlds.

I understand not going to parks now with the crowds and Genie+. But I sure wouldn't go there just to stay in their hotels and pay their exorbitant hotel prices. We have done that many years and have decided to visit other parts of the country now. I am not sure we will ever go back.
I was thinking the same thing. There are so many gorgeous resorts around the country with so much more to offer at a much lower price, with better services. Disney's resort prices are insane for the quality and experience. They're great for being on property when going in the parks, but otherwise, no.

No, we didn't need to use our points, we usually do two weeks but just decided to do a third week at OKW.
But you traveled there with DVC points, just like if you had gone to any other resort timeshare?

I can understand doing that if you have the points. :thumbsup2

I wouldn't understand choosing to PAY Disney's rates for three weeks to hang out there and not do the parks. There just isn't the value to Disney hotels and their crazy rates if I'm not using them for easy access to the parks and extra hours. So many great resorts out there that have a full slate of amenities, better rooms and for much less money.

I agree that using our DVC points makes this all possible. I wouldn't pay the cash prices or room rates they want to stay at BCV. Canadian Tom

We go for 2 weeks every March and might go to the parks one day. And there have been times when we haven’t been to a park. Love it! We are dvc members so we use our points. We love the pool, we play tennis, shuffleboard. The kids love the community house and programs around the pool. When the Braves were at the ESPN park we would do spring baseball games. It’s a great trip for us.

I have an annual pass and usually visit the parks briefly each day, but if i do t get to the park it is not the end of the world…. I enjoy, doing everything else there is to do…. And just relaxing at the pool….

seems like their pools are way more relaxing than mine….

I agree that using our DVC points makes this all possible. I wouldn't pay the cash prices or room rates they want to stay at BCV. Canadian Tom
Its similar to what we plan to do as well in a few weeks (no kids) ... use the DVC points ... eat the food .. etc. We have a few park days planned as well but the focus isn't on rides ... if it happens great / if not no big deal ... cant wait to see all the things we haven't seen before because we were busy in previous trips trying to ride everything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter