Throwaway room (read post #2041 or #2710 before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Disney isn't giving them away for free - people are paying for their room which now includes Magic Bands. No different than if I book a single night stay at any resort, I will have the opportunity to customise and receive Magic Bands. They aren't free, they are built into the price of the room now.

This supposed "loophole" isn't actually costing Disney anything, they are gaining money from rooms that are being paid for and not stayed in. Less cleaning, no one checking in, access to FP+ 30 days early. There is no monetary loss for Disney, they are probably coming out ahead.

Perhaps Disney should offer early access to FP+ for $50. People would pay that for sure.

I think in a way Disney is testing that idea out. I think they are using the throwaway concept to see how many people would pay for the perk. They know, the CM's know. I know CM's are notorious for giving false info, but call and they will tell you it is ok to book for length of ticket with one night and even how to do it(ie rolling).

People can say it is wrong or something they wouldn't do, but each person needs to decide. Everyday people decide to do something someone else wouldn't and there is a big difference between calling people dishonest or "gaming the system" just b/c you don't like the practice. Stealing MB(ie registering people who aren't there) or cancelling a room are totally different, like lying on a reservation so you can avoid paying for an extra person. Those are all examples of actually stealing revenue from WDW. Paying for a room and utilizing the benefits that come with it, but not sleeping in the room is totally different. You are not stealing, you paid and WDW set the benefits and none of us knows if it is a loophole, test or how they intended and we may never know. I'd say if in a year it is still in place it was intended, if a new feature allows to pay to prebook FP...it was a test and if it is gone in 6 months it was a loophole. Only time will tell.

To tell people to just stay onsite for their trip is silly. I can pay for a value for the length of my trip and a spacious 6bdrm home with resort pool and slide for less than a 2bdrm for my stay. Why in the world would I cram my family of 5 into a value/mod/deluxe standard room making one child sleep on a murphy bed when I can have true luxury or why would I pay 750-1700 a night for a 2bdrm basic(low end) or suite CL (high end) when what WDW IMO doesn't offer enough to warrant that high price tag. I don't think people are crazy for doing it...it is their money and they should vacation how they feel provides them the best experience. For me 6bdrms off site with all of the perks of onsite and paying for both is the best experience for my family. There isn't a deluxe onsite that offers the bedroom theming my kids will get in our 6bdrm house and they just adore the accommodations of the house.

It's actually shaking out as a great trip for me.

We're staying for free offsite in a 2 BR 2 BA villa (courtesy of my husband's company), and with the throwaway room, I got magicbands for all 3 of us, 60 day FP privileges, 180+ ADR privileges and free parking for 2 days. (FWIW, there are also privileges I won't use like EMH and BOG booking).

We also booked a "throwaway room" at Universal for less than the price of 3 express passes. With the cost of the room, we'll get unlimited express passes and early entry.

Us too...though I am trying to talk DH into doing the Minion Suite they offer and then actually staying. That would be fun to sleep in for the night!! If not we will just book the standard room and stay in our house. The EP at Uni is worth the price!!

No one is gaming the system. People are paying Disney for a campsite or room got the benefits. This isn't against any policies. In a similar situation, in Nassau, it is almost always cheaper to book a single night in Atlantis to use the facilities than purchase day passes through the cruise ships. Atlantis doesn't care and neither does Disney.

Never said it was against policy, which is why it's accepted. As a stock holder please keep giving Disney money for rooms that don't require extending overhead (maid, water use beyond required, electric) your just enhancing my portfolio.

My point was their will always be people who are willing to play in the grey at the costs of others. If this was an "out in the open practice" people would not come here seeking guidance on how to game the system. Until Disney monetizes FP that's all this is, a way to take the current system and tweak it for their needs, call it what you will.

Never said it was against policy, which is why it's accepted. As a stock holder please keep giving Disney money for rooms that don't require extending overhead (maid, water use beyond required, electric) your just enhancing my portfolio.

My point was their will always be people who are willing to play in the grey at the costs of others. If this was an "out in the open practice" people would not come here seeking guidance on how to game the system. Until Disney monetizes FP that's all this is, a way to take the current system and tweak it for their needs, call it what you will.

No amount of chiding and double-speak will make booking a reservation and paying for it a "grey area" or "gaming the system". When you make a reservation, it's a contract, and each party asks for what they want in the exchange. For the Disney, the requirements are to book the reservation and pay for it. No more, no less. For the guest, they expect the promised accommodation in return, along with any perks that go with booking and paying for the reservation. There is no part of this contract that is missing if the guest chooses to only stay in the room for 1 hour, or 10 minutes or not at all. It's just not a part of the deal. Calling it "grey area" doesn't make it so.

Let's put it another way, if I make a package reservation I don't use EMH or my DisneyQuest tickets or any of the other host of things that come with it, have I gamed the system? Is this a grey area?

There has never been a requirement that you use all or even most of the host of things that you are afforded when you book a Disney package. What's required is that you pay. That's it.

Last edited:
Us too...though I am trying to talk DH into doing the Minion Suite they offer and then actually staying. That would be fun to sleep in for the night!! If not we will just book the standard room and stay in our house. The EP at Uni is worth the price!!

You're right, and I get the benefits for 2 days, but I think we're only going for one day. I keep second-guessing myself on that one. We have never been to Universal, and I feel like we're only going for Harry Potter. I'll kick myself if the family is crazy for the rest of it, but I guess the Unlimited Express Pass should help in that regard. Hopefully, we'll get a lot done in one day.

BTW - when I floated this idea over on the Universal boards, people told me to book the room immediately because it was likely to go up in price. There were no morality police trying to find something wrong with something that is 100% on the up and up. Refreshing.

No amount of chiding and double-speak will make booking a reservation and paying for it a "grey area" or "gaming the system". When you make a reservation, it's a contract, and each party asks for what they want in the exchange. For the Disney, the requirements are to book the reservation and pay for it. No more, no less. For the guest, they expect the promised accommodation in return, along with any perks that go with booking and paying for the reservation. There is no part of this contract that is missing if the guest chooses to only stay in the room for 1 hour, or 10 minutes or not at all. It's just not a part of the deal. Calling it "grey area" doesn't make it so.

Let's put it another way, if I book a make a package reservation I don't use EMH or my DisneyQuest tickets or any of the other host of things that come with it, have I gamed the system? Is this a grey area?

There has never been a requirement that you use all or even most of the host of things that you are afforded when you book a Disney package. What's required is that you pay. That's it.

I don't think anyone, at least not me, is arguing you shouldn't get the full benefits allowed for your check in and check out days. I have opinions as to whether this is something Disney actually wants, but makes no difference to me really.

So- The point I have, and what I believe is a glitch in the system is the benefits of fp+ being extended for the entire length of your ticket- not your stay. They even say on the website that fp+ is for your length of stay, not length of ticket. So, it's a glitch, it's a loophole, it's taking advantage of it or whatever you want to call it, but I don't believe it's what Disney intended and this is what I think they'll eventually stop.

It hasn't cost me a thing so far, I just hope it doesn't once they fix it. We've seen lots of those over the years. I have no hopes that people will consider what the consequences of their actions will do to others. That ship sailed a long time ago. We'll just have to sit back and see what they do.

Universal, unless I'm mistaken, does not offer you any benefits that extend beyond the days you are actually booked at one of their hotels. That would be the difference.

Not to break up the exciting discussion about disney's intent or if this is a loophole...

But for those of you who have done this to get EXTRA fastpasses, did you find it difficult to keep track of the extra bands and which ones to use? Did you find it was worth it? I was thinking about doing it just for booking at our morning park when we arrive, but if everything in the morning is already taken then I'm not sure there would be any benefit.

Not to break up the exciting discussion about disney's intent or if this is a loophole...

But for those of you who have done this to get EXTRA fastpasses, did you find it difficult to keep track of the extra bands and which ones to use? Did you find it was worth it? I was thinking about doing it just for booking at our morning park when we arrive, but if everything in the morning is already taken then I'm not sure there would be any benefit.

I think the park where you will see the most availability will be Magic Kingdom. As long as you aren't trying to get Seven Dwarfs or Anna/Elsa, I think you will be fine. It will definitely help with rides like Haunted Mansion, Pirates, etc that are seeing the wait times increase with FP+. I do think it will be tough to get Toy Story at DHS, Soarin at Epcot and Safari at AK as well.

You're right, and I get the benefits for 2 days, but I think we're only going for one day. I keep second-guessing myself on that one. We have never been to Universal, and I feel like we're only going for Harry Potter. I'll kick myself if the family is crazy for the rest of it, but I guess the Unlimited Express Pass should help in that regard. Hopefully, we'll get a lot done in one day.

BTW - when I floated this idea over on the Universal boards, people told me to book the room immediately because it was likely to go up in price. There were no morality police trying to find something wrong with something that is 100% on the up and up. Refreshing.

Let me just say this. Dh and I had only been to U once and that was way back in the early 90's. We were not that impressed and so never went back. Another poster here gave me great advice about giving it another try and with the HP stuff we thought why not. We had 2 day passes but planned only 2 half days and we did 1 night at Portofino (it was like a holiday from our holiday). Without a doubt we really enjoyed ourselves. Dh (who is not a ride person) got more into the rides at U then he does at Disney and I've been trying to figure that out and I think it is because of the variety of rides. At D there seems to be only the real scary or the real calm and at U there appears to be more in the middle. We didn't come close to trying everything we wanted to see and do by any stretch. The HP stuff was amazing but there was also a lot more out there worth doing. Which is why although we had planned on Disney in May before the Panhandle we're going back instead to U and we're leaving Disney out.

I suspect they cost disney more than 2 cents, but I wasn't talking cost, I was talking sales. They sell them for $15.

Who knows what guests would do, but just because someone wouldn't buy something, doesn't mean Disney wants to give it away for free- otherwise I'd just wait till we were on site and grab an empty room.

We agree Disney has allowed this to happen. They've allowed other loopholes to exist as well and eventually fixed them. I expect they'll do it to this too. Time will tell.

For a fair amount of time now you've been professing that D was going to "fix" what you've called a "loophole" (and by that I mean months ). I'm curious....at what point will you acknowledge that the throwaway concept is here to stay ? I mean it has been happening for almost a year now and D has chosen to let it go ;) when clearly they could change FP to only allow the 60 days for the days onsite. They haven't. It would have been very easy for them if they had chosen to do so. Will you still be here in another year saying that D is going to fix the "loophole" ?

I don't think anyone, at least not me, is arguing you shouldn't get the full benefits allowed for your check in and check out days. I have opinions as to whether this is something Disney actually wants, but makes no difference to me really. So- The point I have, and what I believe is a glitch in the system is the benefits of fp+ being extended for the entire length of your ticket- not your stay. They even say on the website that fp+ is for your length of stay, not length of ticket. So, it's a glitch, it's a loophole, it's taking advantage of it or whatever you want to call it, but I don't believe it's what Disney intended and this is what I think they'll eventually stop. It hasn't cost me a thing so far, I just hope it doesn't once they fix it. We've seen lots of those over the years. I have no hopes that people will consider what the consequences of their actions will do to others. That ship sailed a long time ago. We'll just have to sit back and see what they do. Universal, unless I'm mistaken, does not offer you any benefits that extend beyond the days you are actually booked at one of their hotels. That would be the difference.

Have to agree with cakebaker on the point that if you PAY for a room for ONE night than you should get the benefits that go with it for ONE night. Not the length of your stay. Don,t know how people can argue with the merits of that statement.

Actually, it has cost you an awful lot of time here arguing about something that has nothing to do with you.

Well, luckily there are no rules on the Dis that say you can only talk about things that affect you personally. Sometimes I wish there were, but I don't make the rules. And while it hasn't cost me yet, it well could when Disney decides to shut it down. On site guests seem to always pay the price- so it is of great interest to me.

I'm not arguing, I'm discussing. Arguments aren't allowed. :)

Well, luckily there are no rules on the Dis that say you can only talk about things that affect you personally. Sometimes I wish there were, but I don't make the rules. And while it hasn't cost me yet, it well could when Disney decides to shut it down. On site guests seem to always pay the price- so it is of great interest to me.

Once again I ask the question I've already asked. At what point will you acknowledge that D isn't going to "shut it down" ?

Once again I ask the question I've already asked. At what point will you acknowledge that D isn't going to "shut it down" ?

Sorry, never saw that question, must've missed it. I don't know, haven't given it any thought because I'm sure they will- not talking about the throwaway- I don't care what they do with that. But the fp+ entitlements that are extended past the on site stay for guests moving off site? No, they'll stop that eventually. It's against their best interests to allow it to continue.

I know you aren,t asking me this question but IMO if the single night throwaway room would have just sat unoccupied and now Disney is selling more rooms than maybe Disney is just happy to sell an otherwise unoccupied room. So if that is the case Disney is making more money than it would have without people booking a single night throwaway room and might just be happy about that and not try to stop this practice. However if there are too many single night rooms booked to the point where it is interfering with guest being able to book a whole week and spend a lot more than just a single night room than Disney will probably do something to stop this practice. I feel the reason Disney might stop this practice of throwaway rooms would be more about what I just stated than the added extended benefits most will talk about. Just a thought.

Sorry, never saw that question, must've missed it. I don't know, haven't given it any thought because I'm sure they will- not talking about the throwaway- I don't care what they do with that. But the fp+ entitlements that are extended past the on site stay for guests moving off site? No, they'll stop that eventually. It's against their best interests to allow it to continue.

But you didn't answer the question. You've used terms like they'll "shut it down", "stop it eventually", "Im sure they will" etc etc. etc. etc. etc.

What Im interested and Im sure many others are..these are the facts...the throwaway concept has been around since fp+ started.....Disney is aware.....Disney could easily change MDE to only allow FP 60 days for days onsite....Disney hasn't done so ..at what point might you be willing to acknowledge that they are not going to change this (unless of course they start charging for FP's then all bets are off)

I ask because quite frankly you keep posting over and over and over and over again that it is going to change and unless I'm mistaken it hasn't and I wonder when you might actually accept that Disney doesn't feel the way that you do .

But you didn't answer the question. You've used terms like they'll "shut it down", "stop it eventually", "Im sure they will" etc etc. etc. etc. etc.

What Im interested and Im sure many others are..these are the facts...the throwaway concept has been around since fp+ started.....Disney is aware.....Disney could easily change MDE to only allow FP 60 days for days onsite....Disney hasn't done so ..at what point might you be willing to acknowledge that they are not going to change this (unless of course they start charging for FP's then all bets are off)

I ask because quite frankly you keep posting over and over and over and over again that it is going to change and unless I'm mistaken it hasn't and I wonder when you might actually accept that Disney doesn't feel the way that you do .

You asked when, I said I don't know. That's my answer even if you don't like it. Honestly, I don't think you're all that interested at all really. So let's just agree to disagree.

Neither is making up a mean quote and attributing it to another poster, but that doesn't stop some.

Let it go. This thread is to discuss the ins and outs of throwaway rooms for those who might find it helpful. You've made your position eminently known. You KNOW that Disney will shut down this utterly corrupt and contemptible practice soon (even though it's not corrupt, and there's no evidence it's doing anything other than benefitting Disney and you know no one at Disney who has given you this idea). How many times do you need to say this before you feel you've been heard?

Maybe your time would be better spent counselling other families who would like to register their child in a relative's room, regardless of the fact that the child will be sleeping (one too many) in their own family's room, to avoid the extra per person charge.

ParkHoppers said:
Have to agree with cakebaker on the point that if you PAY for a room for ONE night than you should get the benefits that go with it for ONE night. Not the length of your stay. Don,t know how people can argue with the merits of that statement.

But you aren't getting the same benefits as someone with a week stay. Who's to say wdw intentions aren't to get people to pay to have a perk that is in between. It is for full length of tickets and it isn't 30 days. They may be seeing how many people will pay for a perk that is in the middle. None of us know for sure, but I know it would be such a simple fix that if this wasn't a test or intentional wdw would have shut it down by now. Not saying they won't see it doesn't increase profits and eliminate it, but either way it has been around too long to be called a loophole IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter