Ticket question

Rory607

DIS Veteran
We have a trip to California planned in one month. So far, we are not planning on canceling due to coronavirus, but we’re obviously following it. We unfortunately didn’t purchase our Disneyland tickets before the price increase, so I’m holding off for now. I was planning on purchasing through either Undercover Tourist or CityPass to save a little money. We usually do WDW and book a package through Disney, so buying tickets from another seller is new to us.

Is there any advantage to buying directly from Disney? If DL were to close after we got there would they refund tickets? I really don’t think that would happen(DL closing or a refund), but I’m just trying to decide what to do.

The advantage buying from Disney is that you can add maxpass for all of your days and be safe from a price increase. Granted maxpass is $20 and it was just increased but you never know with Disney.

if you buy from get away today the tickets are refundable, I think the only third party seller that has it

The advantage buying from Disney is that you can add maxpass for all of your days and be safe from a price increase. Granted maxpass is $20 and it was just increased but you never know with Disney.

There are a few third party sellers that offer MP add on as well. It's not a Disney direct exclusive anymore. I bought my December 2019 tickets (that I converted to APs) through aRes with MP added on.

Just to add Getaway Today does offer protection, but it's a modest additional cost. I have been told verbally they are happy to work with you to adjust dates etc outside of the protection. But for true refund I think you need the insurance.

Regardless of where you buy, Disney has honored expired tickets for their value paid. The expiration date only applies to the terms of that ticket. After the expiration date, you need to upgrade & make up the difference if prices have increased.

I think DL has only closed two or three times in it's history. Hard to guess how they would handle it these days. How has WDW handled the closures in recent years for hurricanes?

There are a few third party sellers that offer MP add on as well. It's not a Disney direct exclusive anymore. I bought my December 2019 tickets (that I converted to APs) through aRes with MP added on.
Oh sweet! Forget what I said then!

Just to add Getaway Today does offer protection, but it's a modest additional cost. I have been told verbally they are happy to work with you to adjust dates etc outside of the protection. But for true refund I think you need the insurance.

Regardless of where you buy, Disney has honored expired tickets for their value paid. The expiration date only applies to the terms of that ticket. After the expiration date, you need to upgrade & make up the difference if prices have increased.

I think DL has only closed two or three times in it's history. Hard to guess how they would handle it these days. How has WDW handled the closures in recent years for hurricanes?
Thank you! I will definitely look into Getaway Today. I truly don’t think DL will close, but it would be just my luck to have it close when we’re there. We are closer to Florida, so I don’t really want to spend money on tickets that won’t be used in the near future.

I’m not sure how WDW has handled hurricanes. That is a good question. My guess is that no one was refunded any money unless it was within the cancellation period for a vacation package. You would just have the tickets to use at a later date.

Best of luck. I think you can safely wait to buy tickets until the week before. You can reach an actual person at GAT (and other vendors) and they can usually push your tickets out to email very quickly or even while you are on the phone. So no rush on tickets, I think.

We have a trip to California planned in one month. So far, we are not planning on canceling due to coronavirus, but we’re obviously following it. We unfortunately didn’t purchase our Disneyland tickets before the price increase, so I’m holding off for now. I was planning on purchasing through either Undercover Tourist or CityPass to save a little money. We usually do WDW and book a package through Disney, so buying tickets from another seller is new to us.

Is there any advantage to buying directly from Disney? If DL were to close after we got there would they refund tickets? I really don’t think that would happen(DL closing or a refund), but I’m just trying to decide what to do.
If you will be buying 3+ day tickets, just make sure that you buy them in advance of your visit and not day of at the ticket booths. Tickets purchased day of at the booths do not come with a MM (one hour early entry to DL only, FL & TL only, on a Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday).

Bumping my own thread with further questions...
I’ve priced tickets through various sellers and it’s actually cheapest through Disney because I can get the child ticket offer for the kids. It is a 3 day ticket and we will only have 2 days, but it is cheaper. So my thought was to just buy them through Disney, then if the parks do close we will save them for another time (and pay the difference if necessary). Except the fine print on the child ticket offer says they have to used by the end of May, I believe. Am I right in assuming I wouldn’t be able to save those tickets for a later use like a regular ticket?

I’ve priced tickets through various sellers and it’s actually cheapest through Disney because I can get the child ticket offer for the kids. It is a 3 day ticket and we will only have 2 days, but it is cheaper. So my thought was to just buy them through Disney, then if the parks do close we will save them for another time (and pay the difference if necessary). Except the fine print on the child ticket offer says they have to used by the end of May, I believe. Am I right in assuming I wouldn’t be able to save those tickets for a later use like a regular ticket?

You'll still get credit for them even if they expire, but no refund. Credit towards the purchase of another ticket.

You'll still get credit for them even if they expire, but no refund. Credit towards the purchase of another ticket.
Thank you, I wasn’t sure if that still applied to a special offer ticket. That makes me feel better. Still debating what to do about our trip, but we really only have a few weeks to go.

There are resellers that have the child ticket offer also. Are you sure direct is better? You don't need to buy all tickets from the same source, except for convenience. It might be worth another look.

There are resellers that have the child ticket offer also. Are you sure direct is better? You don't need to buy all tickets from the same source, except for convenience. It might be worth another look.
Note that several resellers will not sell child tickets unless you also purchase an adult ticket at the same time.

Really? Which ones? I've never seen that...
LMTC for sure (at least, in their previous incarnation). My BFF found out the hard way - she'd wanted to buy her ticket and her DD8's ticket separately to spread out the expenditure. She bought hers first, and, when she went to buy her daughter's the following month, she couldn't get JUST a child's. She wound up just eating the difference (which wasn't much) and bought her an adult ticket.

These tickets are good for a year, so Disney might not refund you. I saved about 125-140$ for four tickets when I booked 3rd party

LMTC for sure (at least, in their previous incarnation). My BFF found out the hard way - she'd wanted to buy her ticket and her DD8's ticket separately to spread out the expenditure. She bought hers first, and, when she went to buy her daughter's the following month, she couldn't get JUST a child's. She wound up just eating the difference (which wasn't much) and bought her an adult ticket.
Ouch. That's painful. That could be horrendously hard for foster families or APs, where they have a legitimate need for extra child tickets (friends coming on a trip/last minute placement of kids) but not adult ones.

Ouch. That's painful. That could be horrendously hard for foster families or APs, where they have a legitimate need for extra child tickets (friends coming on a trip/last minute placement of kids) but not adult ones.
Oh, yeah. There are plenty of scenarios where a lone child ticket would be desirable. And you can get them that way from Disney, and possibly some of the other resellers. But not LMTC - at least, not in 2018.

Note that several resellers will not sell child tickets unless you also purchase an adult ticket at the same time.
Interesting. I’m going to call around when I get a chance this week. We are still watching the situation and I’m trying to wait until the last minute to buy tickets. But if UT (potentially) only refunds hard tickets we should probably figure out what what we’re going to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter