Tickets question - 2 day tickets

dmanwi

Mouseketeer
We are going to Disney and then on short cruise. We are going to MK on one day and are thinking of going to AK on the day we arrive around noon. What I am trying to figure out is what would happen if our flight is late or something else causes us to miss going to the Park that first day? Also if I buy a 2-day ticket it expires in four days which if something happens and we decide to go after our cruise the second day expires too soon.

In the rules I see you must change the date by midnight the night before but we would not know if we cant make it until the day we arrive. It seems like Disney really causes problems if you only want to go for a day or two and want to keep your days flexible. Do I really loose that ticket if we arrive late and dont use the ticket the first day?

When WDW first changed to date-based tickets last fall, something was mentioned by a TA about tickets through DCL that will allow for a cruise mid-ticket. I haven't heard anyone report about it, so I don't know if it was legit info or not. You might try contact DCL to see.

Otherwise, your options are 1) take your chances with the 2-day ticket and upgrade on arrival if necessary, 2) buy or upgrade to the "flexible" option, or 3) buy two separate 1-day tickets with one dated pre-cruise and one post-cruise. Depending on the length of your cruise, it may be less expensive to add a 3rd day than to purchase the "flexible" option -- compare prices. With an expected noon arrival, I would probably opt for #1 as your flight would have to be significantly delayed to completely negate any park time that day.

Enjoy your vacation!

1. In the rules I see you must change the date by midnight the night before but we would not know if we cant make it until the day we arrive. It seems like Disney really causes problems if you only want to go for a day or two and want to keep your days flexible.
2. Do I really loose that ticket if we arrive late and dont use the ticket the first day?
1. You could just wait to buy the ticket until you know you will use it.
You can't advance-book FPs, but you can book some on the day-of.
Also, buying two separate 1-day base tickets is almost the same price as buying a 2-day base ticket.

2. You don't "lose" a ticket if you don't use it.
You can use it's value toward buying a new ticket for use on a later date.

So if we buy a 2-day ticket and plan to use them 7/16 & 7/18. If we end up not being able to use both of these days the below would happen? The ticket 'expires' after 4 days but still retains some value that can be applied to a future ticket?

The second day would 'expire' but I would still have the value of approx one day on it (maybe $120/ticket for example). Then I could use that remaining value and purchase a ticket for a later day (ex: 7/22) and pay the difference if the cost for that day is greater than what I paid?

Is that what you are saying?

So if we buy a 2-day ticket and plan to use them 7/16 & 7/18. If we end up not being able to use both of these days the below would happen? The ticket 'expires' after 4 days but still retains some value that can be applied to a future ticket?

The second day would 'expire' but I would still have the value of approx one day on it (maybe $120/ticket for example). Then I could use that remaining value and purchase a ticket for a later day (ex: 7/22) and pay the difference if the cost for that day is greater than what I paid?

Is that what you are saying?
Yup.

Edit:
BUT... Do not buy a "two-day ticket."
Buy two separate one-day tickets. The second ticket (after it "expires') will be able to have its value
applied to a new ticket in the future.

Last edited:
Thanks Robo. I have been to WDW a few times in the past but never with the new rules. Even after reading the rules and visiting a bunch of forums I was still a bit fuzzy.

Robo, are you sure about this? I thought you could only use the value of an unused, expired ticket toward the purchase of a new one. If OP buys a 2-day ticket, uses one day and then that ticket expires, I don't think they will be able to apply any value toward the purchase of a new ticket as the original ticket has been used. Or perhaps I am misunderstanding the rules?

Robo, are you sure about this? I thought you could only use the value of an unused, expired ticket toward the purchase of a new one. If OP buys a 2-day ticket, uses one day and then that ticket expires, I don't think they will be able to apply any value toward the purchase of a new ticket as the original ticket has been used. Or perhaps I am misunderstanding the rules?
Correct.

But, the cost of buying two separate one-day base tickets is nearly the same price as buying a single two-day base ticket.
(In post #3 of this thread I recommended buying two separate one-day tickets.)

I added that info to my earlier post. Thanks for catching the confusion.

1-day Base ticket ("typical" date) about $133 w/tax.
(So, two of those would cost about $266 w/tax.)
-----------------------------
2-day Base ticket ("typical" date) about $259 w/tax.

So, for $7.00 more, a guest can use one ticket, but "save" the other ticket, if something goes awry.

Correct.

But, the cost of buying two separate one-day base tickets is nearly the same price as buying a single two-day base ticket.
(In post #3 of this thread I recommended buying two separate one-day tickets.)

I added that info to my earlier post. Thanks for catching the confusion.
1-day Base ticket ("typical" date) about $133 w/tax.
(So, two of those would cost about $266 w/tax.)
-----------------------------
2-day Base ticket ("typical" date) about $259 w/tax.

So, for $7.00 more, a guest can use one ticket, but "save" the other ticket, if something goes awry.

Ah, yes!!! That makes perfect sense. Thank you for clarifying!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter