TikTok is so stupid.

And so are most of the people on it.
I've never really explored the platform, but from what I see the kids in our school do with it, yes, it is stupid. Seems that it's all about that quick fame/how to cheat/fake crap that used to be on other platforms. Glad there's a localized place for it all so that I can easily ignore it.

I defense of Tik Tock, it depends a lot on the feed you end up on. If you scroll past the silly stuff and interact with content that you like, the algorithms will bring you more of the content that you want to see. I follow a few really good comedians, a few real estate investors and some political commentators. I also have a few "guilty pleasures" that are just for fun.

Same here. I love it. It's fascinating people watching without having to leave home. Watching the new year rung in on tiktok live from different time zones was fun. Sure, it can be stupid, but so can any social media app if you're not using it correctly or to fit your needs. And I'm sorry, calling most of the people on the platform stupid is ignorant and childish. Why are they stupid? Because you don't like them? Many seem to do very well for themselves in how they've monetised the app, so who is the stupid one?

I don't have a TikTok account but my friend does and from what she tells me, I don't think I need to join.

It's essentially Facebook for Gen Z in terms of the arguments and drama that goes on LOL

I defense of Tik Tock, it depends a lot on the feed you end up on. If you scroll past the silly stuff and interact with content that you like, the algorithms will bring you more of the content that you want to see. I follow a few really good comedians, a few real estate investors and some political commentators. I also have a few "guilty pleasures" that are just for fun.
Exactly, I don't get any of the stupid teenager stuff in my feed. Right now I'm getting a lot of this random Korean man who teaches Korean in a very catchy way. I get ADHD/autism content, random UK real estate house tours, cooking (most recently a very charming Italian man who makes a daily pasta video).

Of course, I am hooked on @millenialmoron who compares Canadian houses for sale to actual European castles for sale (at the same price). I am neither Canadian or European but somehow I can't stop watchin him. Tik Tock can be a time waster sometimes 😃

I discovered it when I was recovering from surgery last year. Currently my FYP page is all about horses and make overs. I also follow some recipe pages, and some "I was today years old" type content. Most of my 9month cruises are now gone from my FYP.

Yes it can be stupid, but it can also be fun and/or useful.

Today seems to be a lot about the Golden Globes.

I don't have a TikTok account but my friend does and from what she tells me, I don't think I need to join.

It's essentially Facebook for Gen Z in terms of the arguments and drama that goes on LOL
I did make a recipe I read about in a news story that was originally posted in TikTok. It was actually really good. Other than that, I’ve had no interaction. PS I don’t have a FB account either.

it does seem like a cheap shot to say that it is stupid, really just because you don’t like it.

Last edited:

Not exactly. Yes,Gen Z loves it but what you get out of the app is what you put into it. I follow a guy who does beer reviews, I follow tons of travellers around the world, I use it for language learning, will watch live sports and concerts. Any app can be stupid if the user is ignorant to its benefits and capabilities.

Not exactly. Yes,Gen Z loves it but what you get out of the app is what you put into it. I follow a guy who does beer reviews, I follow tons of travellers around the world, I use it for language learning, will watch live sports and concerts. Any app can be stupid if the user is ignorant to its benefits and capabilities.
Eh, I'll pass. It's bad enough that I'm on the worst social media platform by far, Twitter.

I love it for the recipes! I've found some really good ones and getting to watch someone make it helps me as a visual learner.

Plus I get to watch cute animal videos!

If you don't like some online social media site then don't use it.........problem solved. OP's profile indicates they are 16, assuming that is accurate.

I don't use any of those sites as it mostly seems like a place for unintelligent/gullible/poorly informed people to argue with each other or spout nonsense conspiracy theories............waste of my time.

Last edited:
It’s creating an entire generation of dummies with short attention spans. Sorry but it’s true. Do you think communist China invented this app because they’re so big on fun and entertainment? Come on. They’re purposely dumbing down our youth. Recent studies show teens get most of their information from tik tok. I can’t tell you how many times my teens argue with me about something they’re sure is true because they’ve learned it on tik tok. It’s banned or partially banned in several countries. China itself doesn’t allow it and poses severe limitations on youths social media use in general because they know the harms. All social media is bad to some degree but tik toks the worst because it’s aimed at youth, encourages instant gratification and short attention spans and is created by China who our government says used it to spy on Americans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter