TikTok is so stupid.

It is great for recipes and looking up quick how-tos.

And a lot of dumb stuff that makes me laugh.

Oh, let's not forget about Booktok! Now that's a hoor 😀
What did you mean by hood? A local term or a typo? My daughter is on BookTube and we are both curious now!

Not only do I think that it’s contributing to the “dumbing down”of society in general (along with many other social media sites/you tube/etc) the fact that even educated people (who might use it for reasonable content) use it also are really just contributing to that dumbing down by supporting it. It’s just a horrid thing that is responsible for many of the absolutely idiotic things that both kids and adults let fall out of their mouths.

Aside from being a Chicom psyop, it's like any other social media--there's good and bad and there are ways to curate your feed to block most of the bad.

Last edited:
What did you mean by hood? A local term or a typo? My daughter is on BookTube and we are both curious now!
Yeah, I meant hoot, but my Dutch autocorrect didn't like it.

You can get a lot of recommendations on Booktok, but also a lot about authors, how to write/publish yourself. A lot of silly videos as well.
And if you are into the ACOTAR series, I'm sure you will find likeminded people.

Not only do I think that it’s contributing to the “dumbing down”of society in general (along with many other social media sites/you tube/etc) the fact that even educated people (who might use it for reasonable content) use it also are really just contributing to that dumbing down by supporting it. It’s just a horrid thing that is responsible for many of the absolutely idiotic things that both kids and adults let fall out of their mouths.
So by teaching my college students the skills of using social media, I’m in fact Dumbing them down? Is that actually what you are claiming?

So by teaching my college students the skills of using social media, I’m in fact Dumbing them down? Is that actually what you are claiming?
If you are teaching your college students how to curate information gained from social media, the effects of propaganda used by these platforms, the algorithms used to manipulate people (especially young people) then no I do not think that those actions are dumbing them down. I meant that since many social media platforms (maybe especially Tik Tok) are (I believe) detrimental to our society at large, I think that by simply supporting those platforms people, as a whole, are indirectly supporting the dumbing down of a generation. I know that there are beneficial ways to use social media, but I really think that the benefits don’t outweigh the pitfalls. I really do think it’s that harmful.

If you are teaching your college students how to curate information gained from social media, the effects of propaganda used by these platforms, the algorithms used to manipulate people (especially young people) then no I do not think that those actions are dumbing them down. I meant that since many social media platforms (maybe especially Tik Tok) are (I believe) detrimental to our society at large, I think that by simply supporting those platforms people, as a whole, are indirectly supporting the dumbing down of a generation. I know that there are beneficial ways to use social media, but I really think that the benefits don’t outweigh the pitfalls. I really do think it’s that harmful.
Take my class and find out.

I've never really explored the platform, but from what I see the kids in our school do with it, yes, it is stupid.

I don't have a TikTok account but my friend does and from what she tells me, I don't think I need to join.
Just wanted to reiterate that what people see on TikTok is highly individualized, so assuming that everyone on the platform is watching the same types of videos or content as the kids you know from school or one friend who uses the app is not accurate at all.

Nearly everything "stupid" that I have ever heard anyone mention about TikTok are things that I have never once encountered on my own feed. It's kind of like when people complain about there being "inappropriate" ads on a website, but the ads are generated based on your own computer's search history.

I think in general, the older generations (of which I am) fear what they don't understand - and what they don't understand must be bad and harmful. My parents often talked about how their parents insisted rock n roll would be the death of society as we know it! Every generation has it. Social Media, like many things, is a double-edged sword. It's used for good, used for bad, used for informing, used for misleading. So do TV stations and newspapers and magazines and politicians. If you don't like it, don't use it. But don't assume all people using it are stupid and dumbed down. They can probably say that people that don't understand it and can't use it are dumbed down.....

Take my class and find out.
I would honestly love to and would love my young teen to do as well! How do I find a class like that? As much as I hate social media platforms (and I have avoided them so far —- except for this board lol) I need to help my teen navigate it as I fear it will not go away.

So don't use something I find useful because others use it for idiotic things? Makes no sense.

Last edited:
A good friend's daughter was in a nice area of town in the parking lot talking to another friend. She was standing by her car and talking with the friend who was in her car with her child. She noticed a car go around the parking lot once and then come back. She didnt think anything of it, until it stopped and the window came down and a gun appeared out of the window directed at her!!!! She was shot up and down her legs with something that left marks and was very painful. Thankfully, her friend and child did not get hit.
She found out from the police that this is a tiktok challenge and the police were having a hard time finding the guilty ones. These people were even going into movie theatres and shooting at people randomly.

So, I guess I am biased when it comes to tiktok or any other streaming source that advocates violence (along with the "good" stuff too apparently).

As with everything: Pros and cons to social media.
Pros: Easier to stay in touch with family, find people with similar interests, find new interests
Cons: The visual aspect puts pressure on people and because the constant feed of new content is addictive.

Like alcohol, is alcohol good or bad for humanity?
On one hand, each year thousands of people die because of alcohol
On the other hand, each year thousands of people are born because of alcohol ;-)

A good friend's daughter was in a nice area of town in the parking lot talking to another friend. She was standing by her car and talking with the friend who was in her car with her child. She noticed a car go around the parking lot once and then come back. She didnt think anything of it, until it stopped and the window came down and a gun appeared out of the window directed at her!!!! She was shot up and down her legs with something that left marks and was very painful. Thankfully, her friend and child did not get hit.
She found out from the police that this is a tiktok challenge and the police were having a hard time finding the guilty ones. These people were even going into movie theatres and shooting at people randomly.

So, I guess I am biased when it comes to tiktok or any other streaming source that advocates violence (along with the "good" stuff too apparently).
Naw, that's like blaming the water for a swimmer getting wet. Maybe blame the assailant, not social media. Evil-dooers will find a way to be evil. Idiots will find a way to be idiotic. If fools want to start a social media challenge and participate, they will find a way. I use tik tok and I have never felt compelled to shoot anyone with a pellet gun. The streaming source does not advocate violence, some individuals do.

I would honestly love to and would love my young teen to do as well! How do I find a class like that? As much as I hate social media platforms (and I have avoided them so far —- except for this board lol) I need to help my teen navigate it as I fear it will not go away.
No offence but it's clear you don't know much about social media from your posts. We've always had social media, it's been around since the days of Caesar. But then it was the town square or town board which had news. The SM we have now is just digital and more portable than anything before. Because of social media, people around the world were able to witness the Arab spring which led to radical transformations in the Middle East; with social media, folks from oppressed regimes can talk to each other without (as much) fear of persecution; because of social media, I'm able to run a business here in the USA with my partner in India and never have to leave our houses. The list goes on. What is lacking however is media literacy. That is what students aren't getting in this country as part of their curriculum.

As for your daughter, more and more colleges are offering courses on social media, usually in the Dept. of Communication. When your young teen goes to college, I'd suggest that she take one of those courses. I am currently creating a freshman course on SM which goes through all of the pratfalls for them to avoid. This is why it is essential to teach students how to use SM for their benefit rather than their detriment.

I defense of Tik Tock, it depends a lot on the feed you end up on. If you scroll past the silly stuff and interact with content that you like, the algorithms will bring you more of the content that you want to see. I follow a few really good comedians, a few real estate investors and some political commentators. I also have a few "guilty pleasures" that are just for fun.
True, Tiktok is great for weight loss tips and motivation. But if you are not careful, your algorhythm can recommend the pro-anorexia girls very easily. Those who boast about eating as little as possible and exercising as much as the can. Quite scary how easily that is available. And if you have a teen who is sensitive to this, you have to keep an eye on what they see.

Naw, that's like blaming the water for a swimmer getting wet. Maybe blame the assailant, not social media. Evil-dooers will find a way to be evil. Idiots will find a way to be idiotic. If fools want to start a social media challenge and participate, they will find a way. I use tik tok and I have never felt compelled to shoot anyone with a pellet gun. The streaming source does not advocate violence, some individuals do.
Just relating what was a known challenge on tiktok. If they promote that kind of thing, then it is wrong, but to each their own.

True, Tiktok is great for weight loss tips and motivation. But if you are not careful, your algorhythm can recommend the pro-anorexia girls very easily. Those who boast about eating as little as possible and exercising as much as the can. Quite scary how easily that is available. And if you have a teen who is sensitive to this, you have to keep an eye on what they see.
Very good point. I think this is the case with everything we come in contact with. Knowing what kind of kids your teen is hanging out with, what king of movies they watch, where their google searches go. I don't necessarily think we should all become helicopter parents (I am the exact opposite) but keep the lines of communications open to keep them educated about what they are seeing, who they are hanging out with etcetera. If you have a teen who is sensitive to eating disorders or who is easily influenced or any other concerns, you have to get ahead of it and make sure that they understand what they will be seeing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter