TikTok is so stupid.

No offence but it's clear you don't know much about social media from your posts. We've always had social media, it's been around since the days of Caesar. But then it was the town square or town board which had news. The SM we have now is just digital and more portable than anything before. Because of social media, people around the world were able to witness the Arab spring which led to radical transformations in the Middle East; with social media, folks from oppressed regimes can talk to each other without (as much) fear of persecution; because of social media, I'm able to run a business here in the USA with my partner in India and never have to leave our houses. The list goes on. What is lacking however is media literacy. That is what students aren't getting in this country as part of their curriculum.

As for your daughter, more and more colleges are offering courses on social media, usually in the Dept. of Communication. When your young teen goes to college, I'd suggest that she take one of those courses. I am currently creating a freshman course on SM which goes through all of the pratfalls for them to avoid. This is why it is essential to teach students how to use SM for their benefit rather than their detriment.
No offense taken! And while I agree that there are lots of good applications for social media, the overuse by kids (who clearly have no access to instruction on the “pratfalls” to it) and who will be shaped so much by the time they ever get to college to take your course (or anyone else’s)is concerning. I still believe it is a “net” detriment to society as a whole in much of its current form. There is no way to free the money aspect from the social media aspect because they are linked together. And that money aspect (and the algorithms that are created to maximize profits and usership) creates (inherently) much of the negativity associated with it. But they will always come together. My young teen isn’t even in high school yet so the best I can do for her is 1. Not allow her to use social media and 2. try to educate her as best I can on how media can manipulate you and how to look for valid sources of information without bias (or with less bias).

Thanks for your input :)

No offense taken! And while I agree that there are lots of good applications for social media, the overuse by kids (who clearly have no access to instruction on the “pratfalls” to it) and who will be shaped so much by the time they ever get to college to take your course (or anyone else’s)is concerning. I still believe it is a “net” detriment to society as a whole in much of its current form. There is no way to free the money aspect from the social media aspect because they are linked together. And that money aspect (and the algorithms that are created to maximize profits and usership) creates (inherently) much of the negativity associated with it. But they will always come together. My young teen isn’t even in high school yet so the best I can do for her is 1. Not allow her to use social media and 2. try to educate her as best I can on how media can manipulate you and how to look for valid sources of information without bias (or with less bias).

Thanks for your input :)
As a social media scholar and fellow parent, I cannot emphasise enough the need to delay as long as possible kids' access to social media.

Don’t judge…..I like TikTok.

I’ve gotten a lot of fun decorating ideas, food presentation ideas, recipes, WDW tips & tricks and so much more.

The BEST thing I like about TikTok is how my DD20 and I send each other links all the time to watch different things, especially Disney things. And the videos are so nice and short that they are quick & easy to watch.

Like all social media - there’s good and bad, but to be quick to judge others who use it, without seeing what they positively have to offer, is not cool. I don’t like shows like Dance Moms or The Bachelor, but I don’t judge people who watch them.

Last edited:

I’ve gotten a lot of fun decorating ideas, food presentation ideas, recipes, WDW tips & tricks and so much more.

The BEST thing I like about TikTok is how my DD20 and I send each other links all the time to check to watch different things, especially Disney things. And the videos are so nice and short that they are quick & easy to watch.

Like all social media - there’s good and bad, but to be quick to judge others who use it, without seeing what they positively have to offer, is not cool. I don’t like shows like Dance Moms or The Bachelor, but I don’t judge people who watch them.
I agree! There is so much more to TikTok than just annoying posts...lol.

The BEST thing I like about TikTok is how my DD20 and I send each other links all the time to check to watch different things, especially Disney things. And the videos are so nice and short that they are quick & easy to watch.

Great approach. There is a ton of FUN Disney content on tiktok, you just have to look for it.

I am pretty sure that stuff like that is against their TOC though.
TikTok can be uneven in how it enforces its policies. It states that it doesn't tolerate provocations to violence or self harm but then you have these stupid challenges that make it on the platform. Then they say you can't use certain words like "gun," "kill," or even "virgin." You can banned for this. You show too much skin or even the slightest hint of "see through" on a girl's top? Banned! Yet the other stuff gets through. Pretty inconsistent. ByteDance can certainly afford to hire better and more moderators.

created by China who our government says used it to spy on Americans.
Using tiktok to spy on us, how?

I mean the thought of that kinda reminds me of the shows like Twilight Zone and heck, even Mork & Mindy where the alien civilization spies on Earth (invariably USA) and then shows up here with some “idea” of how we are— but it’s like, totally wrong.

The ideas for those shows were a combination of the concern that other countries (aka civilizations) were spying on us during the Cold War and the concern/curiosity that there was life beyond the stars.

It made for great entertainment, but it was fiction.

I feel like TikTok, YouTube, and most social media really, serves to provide the same basis of entertainment for the newer generations.

If you really want to see stupid, go spend a half-hour looking at Quora. They need to rename it “Troll Central” or “Life Under the Bridge.” Or something. 95% of that site’s content is utterly ridiculous.

A recent thread that popped up on my notifications:
“My 18 y.o. son moved out with our permission and now that he’s living on his own he refuses to pay us his daily parenting fees. What should we do? Should we punish him?” [emphasis added by me]
The most entertaining “solution” I saw was, to paraphrase: “Go back in time and use better birth control… you should never have procreated in the first place.”

I mean the thought of that kinda reminds me of the shows like Twilight Zone and heck, even Mork & Mindy where the alien civilization spies on Earth (invariably USA) and then shows up here with some “idea” of how we are— but it’s like, totally wrong.

The ideas for those shows were a combination of the concern that other countries (aka civilizations) were spying on us during the Cold War and the concern/curiosity that there was life beyond the stars.

I feel like TikTok, YouTube, and most social media really, serves to provide the same basis of entertainment for the newer generations.

If you really want to see stupid, go spend a half-hour looking at Quora. They need to rename it “Troll Central” or “Life Under the Bridge.” Or something. 95% of that site’s content is utterly ridiculous.

The most entertaining “solution” I saw was, to paraphrase: “Go back in time and use better birth control… you should never have procreated in the first place.”
If china is learning about us through tiktok then we are screwed.

It is great for recipes and looking up quick how-tos.

And a lot of dumb stuff that makes me laugh.

Oh, let's not forget about Booktok! Now that's a hoot 😀
I love spicy booktok! I've gotten some great reads that way.

I actually enjoy tiktok. Like most adults I know, I started watching it during Covid when I was home a bit more. It all comes down to the algorythm. If you don't like something, don't engage with it. Engage with the videos you enjoy and you will see more of them. I get curly hair ideas, decorating, cooking tips, all sorts of things from there. Its a great way to destress for a few mins when you need a laugh or whatever.

My kids are not allowed to have tiktok, tho it's all basically the same crap they see on youtube shorts, so theres that.

As far as China "spying" on us thru TT, I promise they already have everything they want on you. And whatever they might find out about me, it's not gonna do much for them lol.

Just relating what was a known challenge on tiktok. If they promote that kind of thing, then it is wrong, but to each their own.
Of course, it's wrong to commit the act you described, no one was arguing with you about that part. I think what others are trying to get as is... who is the "they" that you are referring to? You said "they" advocate violence and "they" promote these acts, but who is "they"? The owners of the TikTok app?

Do you think TikTok as a business is actively promoting that people drive around shooting random strangers with pellet guns? "TikTok challenge" means that some random individual posted something stupid to see if others would go along with it, not that it's an officially sponsored challenge put on by TikTok.

It’s creating an entire generation of dummies with short attention spans. Sorry but it’s true. Do you think communist China invented this app because they’re so big on fun and entertainment? Come on. They’re purposely dumbing down our youth. Recent studies show teens get most of their information from tik tok. I can’t tell you how many times my teens argue with me about something they’re sure is true because they’ve learned it on tik tok. It’s banned or partially banned in several countries. China itself doesn’t allow it and poses severe limitations on youths social media use in general because they know the harms. All social media is bad to some degree but tik toks the worst because it’s aimed at youth, encourages instant gratification and short attention spans and is created by China who our government says used it to spy on Americans.

Not only do I think that it’s contributing to the “dumbing down”of society in general (along with many other social media sites/you tube/etc) the fact that even educated people (who might use it for reasonable content) use it also are really just contributing to that dumbing down by supporting it. It’s just a horrid thing that is responsible for many of the absolutely idiotic things that both kids and adults let fall out of their mouths.

I think in general, the older generations (of which I am) fear what they don't understand - and what they don't understand must be bad and harmful. My parents often talked about how their parents insisted rock n roll would be the death of society as we know it! Every generation has it. Social Media, like many things, is a double-edged sword. It's used for good, used for bad, used for informing, used for misleading. So do TV stations and newspapers and magazines and politicians. If you don't like it, don't use it. But don't assume all people using it are stupid and dumbed down. They can probably say that people that don't understand it and can't use it are dumbed down.....
I'm not particularly experienced with using social media myself, but I do think it is and has been very influential in regards to many shifts in culture. I have no insight into the motivations behind the creation of Tik Tok and I'm not sure if China allowed it to be released for financial purposes or perhaps darker ones. Either way, I suspect they won't let their populace access it because they intend to remain in control and must do their best to limit influence to their own as much as possible.

I agree that quite often older generations criticize what they don't understand because they fear it. I have a brother in law who has been criticizing any and all changes in culture surrounding young people in particular since he left HS because he feels threatened at the idea more and more generations are passing him by because he chose to do nothing with his life and in his 60s is finally acknowledging he is facing a future in which he is unable to support himself because he chose not to seek employment. He soothed his anxieties over the holidays once again by railing against what kids today aren't learning in school and regaling everyone with increasingly fabricated tales of his own HS exploits/achievements.

I do feel that social media has really helped accelerate the shrinking of attention spans, something I think has impacts and consequences many of us feel every day without recognizing the cause. I strongly feel ever shorter attention spans have made driving more and more hazardous. Texting or social media use while driving have long been pointed at as driving hazards, to the point where either can be just as hazardous as driving under the influence. I think even without a device in their hands drivers simply aren't as sharp because it's simply tougher to focus in general, we're just not as good at it.

They’re not spying via the videos but via the apps access to phone/WiFi information. That’s what people in the government say at least. It’s not allowed to be installed on many government devices.

They’re not spying via the videos but via the apps access to phone/WiFi information. That’s what people in the government say at least. It’s not allowed to be installed on many government devices.
Because people in the government don't understand how technology works. How in the world could an app like tiktok "spy on your phone/Wifi information?" Apps and phones don't work that way. You can opt out of most sharing.

Agreed. My mantra for 2024 is “I love that for you!” Added a sticker to my Stanley to remind me of it. Everyone is so judgey. It’s possible to be completely puzzled over why someone would like something and still love it for them while nixing it for yourself. So many seem to think that if they don’t like it no one should. I want to be reminded daily.

As for TikTok, I love it! I honestly never see
Anything negative. I’ve interacted with what I like enough so that it knows to give me Book Tok, Taylor and Travis, vacations, and political stuff that matches my idealogy. If you or your child see problematic videos, it’s because you interact with them. So I guess, check yourself.🤷🏻‍♀️

As someone said upthread, it’s also a fun almost daily connector for my adult daughter and I.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter