• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Time of year that is best use of points?

jlnten17

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
As a follow up to my last thread I am was looking up cost of cash rooms vs DVC point charts. Of course this can get really complex based on difference in resort DVC charts, different % discounts, etc. But overall - is there a time of year that is the biggest "bang for your buck" comparing DVC points vs cash rooms? For example at The Poly, the point chart goes up from last week of January to first week of February but cost of cash rooms does not so the savings vs cash rooms is better in that Jan week than it is in Feb for Poly Studio standard view. What months/time of year do points vs cash save the most money? Has anyone done the math on this?

I have not done research but if I had to guess I would say the fall is the best value. I think the cash room prices have caught up with demand but it is still a low point requirement time. The worst “value” would probably be the summer if I had to guess. I have seen some great cash discounts lately but it is still a higher point requirement time. Time for a reallocation?

The best weeks (in terms of points vs cash rack rates) are probably the fixed week contracts that occasionally include Easter or Christmas

Right now we will probably take 2 trips a year on points and a 3rd on cash so thinking summer with an AP discount will be the best time to save points and get a decent cash rate. Here’s hoping the AP discount is as good as last year. Since we will be going a lot more and Poly is our home resort we are also more flexible on where we stay as far as deluxe for cash which should help us save.

I'm all about the fall and spring. Most bang for the point buck and the lowest crowds. Double the reason right there!

Oct 25-27 is 24 points at BCV. I was quoted an agency exclusive rate of two nights for $770. So I would say that is a pretty good bang for your buck (the rate was for BC, not BCV. So not the same exact room, but close enough for me to use as a comparison).

Oct 25-27 is 24 points at BCV. I was quoted an agency exclusive rate of two nights for $770. So I would say that is a pretty good bang for your buck (the rate was for BC, not BCV. So not the same exact room, but close enough for me to use as a comparison).

Although getting that room through an agency might be a problem. Epcot resorts book quickly with more renters wanting those rooms than members wanting to rent out their points at that time of year.

Although getting that room through an agency might be a problem. Epcot resorts book quickly with more renters wanting those rooms than members wanting to rent out their points at that time of year.
I'm a member, so I would be using my own points if my waitlist comes through (which I have got a while to be able to even create). I got a quote from a travel agent to see if the rate would be enticing enough to pay cash. But at $770, I will stick with my 26 point AKV reservation if I have to.
ETA: the agency isn't renting out DVC reservations, they are a normal travel agency that tends to get the best rates on rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter