Timing CA Grill reservation with fireworks

VAfamily1998

DIS Veteran
I know that you can see the fireworks from CA Grill (and yes I know that it is a fixed price menu!) I also know about the observation deck and that if you have a reservation earlier or later than the fire works show, you can still go to the observation deck to watch. My ADR day isn't for a few weeks yet, but if I was able to get say...a 7:30 pm reservation for a day when the fire works are at 9:15, and we finished our meal at 8:45...that's half hour of waiting for fireworks. Would they let us just go straight to the observation deck at that time? Or would we have to leave and then come back just a few minutes later?
While viewing the fireworks right from our table sounds great, I'm guessing that not every table has a perfect view...and I'm not sure I want to leave my table mid meal to watch from the deck and risk my food getting cold...so I'm trying to figure out the best timing where we would just finish our meal, walk directly to the observation deck, and watch the fireworks.
I know there is no guarantee I'll be able to get the exact time I want, but I can at least try.
If it matters, we will be a party of 3 (2 adults and a 17 year old) and this would be on July 4.
I've been checking the reservations each day, to see what kind of reservations are typically available at the 60 day mark, and have been surprised that around 9 am EST on the 60 day marks there is availability for 7 or 7:30 ish reservations. I know July 4 is a holiday though, and maybe I won't be so lucky for that.

I think you should budget more time for prix fixe at California Grill. I'd expect it to take at least 90 minutes, if not two hours. They kinda expect you to linger over dessert while waiting for the fireworks. Order another glass of wine.

July 4th is one of the hottest tickets at California Grill.

We have eaten and then waited on the deck for a bit of time, with July 4th that deck will fill up fast.

Good luck!

I think you should budget more time for prix fixe at California Grill. I'd expect it to take at least 90 minutes, if not two hours. They kinda expect you to linger over dessert while waiting for the fireworks. Order another glass of wine.
Thanks! I'm just thinking that not every table has a great view?

July 4th is one of the hottest tickets at California Grill.

We have eaten and then waited on the deck for a bit of time, with July 4th that deck will fill up fast.

Good luck!
Thank you! Yeah, I figured it's probably harder to get a reservation on July 4th than other days. I guess we will take what we can get (if we can get anything!)
ETA: July 4 is our check in date--so we won't even have the +10 thing going for us in making reservations.

Thanks! I'm just thinking that not every table has a great view?
The truth is only a few tables have a good view, most do not have a view of fireworks. Our first time we had the perfect table to watch - did we get spoiled. That never happened again and we came to realize there because of design and angle most have no view. The deck becomes a critical part of the meal.

It was built in a different time for a different purpose really.

The truth is only a few tables have a good view, most do not have a view of fireworks. Our first time we had the perfect table to watch - did we get spoiled. That never happened again and we came to realize there because of design and angle most have no view. The deck becomes a critical part of the meal.

It was built in a different time for a different purpose really.
This. Most tables do NOT have a good view. Most people end up on the balconies to view.

...and I'm not sure I want to leave my table mid meal to watch from the deck and risk my food getting cold...so I'm trying to figure out the best timing where we would just finish our meal, walk directly to the observation deck, and watch the fireworks.
Servers know that most guests will go out to the decks to watch fireworks. Every time we've dined there the server has paced the meal so that we were between courses at fireworks time so there was never the issue of food left on the table..

Servers know that most guests will go out to the decks to watch fireworks. Every time we've dined there the server has paced the meal so that we were between courses at fireworks time so there was never the issue of food left on the table..
Thank you!

Quick question: let’s say you come back after an early dinner and you go out to the deck. Do they let you order drinks and bring them out on the deck?

Quick question: let’s say you come back after an early dinner and you go out to the deck. Do they let you order drinks and bring them out on the deck?
usually the bar is full.....so it depends on your ability to wedge your way in and get a drink.

there are about 10 tables with the "perfect view" every thing else is a little obstructed, but still very watchable, even from the back. it is a nice ambiance. I tend to focus on the food, and tell my server not to worry about the fireworks.

We had a 7:30 reservation the other night. Our server paced our meal so we had our entree and apps finished, and then we had dessert after the fireworks. I let our server know we wanted drinks for the firework, and we just ordered them with her and enjoyed them while we watched the fireworks. They are a well oiled machine!

Can you see the projections on the castle from the observation deck or just the fireworks?

Can you see the projections on the castle from the observation deck or just the fireworks?
IMG_5100.jpeg
It’s far away so don’t expect any level of detail on the projections. I just did this 2 weeks ago on the second night of Happily Ever After coming back! It was great.

I stayed at CR last 7/4. Just a warning, the place is a bit of a zoo on 7/4… people hang out on the exit staircase landings, the 4th floor observation deck, etc - just lots of people around. Elevators can be a challenge on a good evening and this evening it was pretty bonkers.

As fireworks time approached the line of CG guests who had eaten earlier and were returning to watch lined up DEEP through the second floor into the conference areas.

Pack your patience and don’t wait until the last minute if you need the elevators.

On the plus side, reminder they shoot fireworks from spots in the middle of the Seven Seas Lagoon, in addition to the normal MK spots, which makes CR a good spot for viewing.

We have dined there and the timing wasn’t quite right. So, the waiter brought our drinks and covered our plates with cloches to keep the food warm while watching the fireworks on the deck. It was a great experience.

I stayed at CR last 7/4. Just a warning, the place is a bit of a zoo on 7/4… people hang out on the exit staircase landings, the 4th floor observation deck, etc - just lots of people around. Elevators can be a challenge on a good evening and this evening it was pretty bonkers.

As fireworks time approached the line of CG guests who had eaten earlier and were returning to watch lined up DEEP through the second floor into the conference areas.

Pack your patience and don’t wait until the last minute if you need the elevators.

On the plus side, reminder they shoot fireworks from spots in the middle of the Seven Seas Lagoon, in addition to the normal MK spots, which makes CR a good spot for viewing.
Thanks! My ADR date was a few days ago and I managed to get a 5:20 reservation--so it looks like we'll probably have about 2 hours to kill between the time we finish dinner, and the fireworks start (I've read that they start at 9:15 on July 4.)
Of course I'm going to keep trying for a later time, but assuming I can't get it-I guess we should just hang out around the Contemporary for the two hours? We'll be staying at OKW, and still haven't decided how we'll will get to CR and back (drive our rental car? Uber? take the bus to MK and walk over?)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter