Timing for trip insurance

mrsgthatsme

Mouseketeer
We are sailing at the end of April and I need to get trip insurance purchased. I was holding off until we purchased airfare, both to find out the actual cost to insure and because if we fly Southwest, I don't usually insure the airfare since it is changeable on that airline. Normally, we have airline tickets purchased by this point, but prices have been high so I am playing the waiting game! I feel like I have heard talk of insurance needing to be purchased by the final payment date for the cruise(which is in a few weeks). Maybe I am totally off, but I just wanted to make sure that I purchased the insurance before it was too late! Is there any kind of firm "cut off" date, or can I wait it out until plane tickets are bought even if that puts us past the PIF date? Thank you!

Trip insurance can be purchased at any time before the cruise to cover costs that were entirely unexpected at the time of purchase (for example, weather delays due to storms that haven't formed yet, medical expenses due to injuries during the vacation, or lost luggage). Buying trip insurance at the time of the initial trip payment is often necessary in order to cover pre-existing conditions, which are anything for which you (or a traveling companion) sought treatment before the insurance was purchased. If you don't have any pre-existing conditions that could cause you to cancel the trip or seek medical care during it, that won't be an issue. However, there is always a chance you could be diagnosed with a condition between now and when you buy insurance. Unless you pay extra for pre-existing condition coverage, any treatment for the new condition that you need during the trip won't be covered.

It is possible (at least with the insurance plans I've purchased lately) to buy insurance now to cover the costs you know about, and then add to the coverage when you have additional known costs. That will cover anything that happens between now and the trip. If you don't have pre-existing conditions, and don't have any non-refundable costs yet, then waiting until final payment date will usually be safe. (In fact, insurance through Disney Cruise isn't actually purchased until final payment even if you "order" it at initial booking.) If you still don't have airfare by final payment, though, you might want to buy insurance anyhow and add the airfare to the coverage when you have it booked.

You can purchase trip insurance to cover any cost initially. You can always add airfare later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter