Timing question

hes122

DIS Veteran
Our group (4 adults) is arriving on a Wednesday. The last person's flight lands at 10:45. We are staying at Yacht Club. Do you think we can make our 1:15 reservation at Whispering Canyon Cafe?

If your flights all land on time and you take a taxi/Uber/Lyft from the airport, then you will most likely make it. However, I wouldn't book a lunch on arrival day. We never arrive at our resort when we think we will. Our most recent flight was delayed due to weather. We thought we'd be at AKL by 10:00pm. We arrived at 1:30am the next day.

You are about to be inundated with posts advising you not to attempt what you described. I understand why virtually everybody will make that suggestion. I'll be the dissenting voice.

If your flight arrives reasonably on schedule, you will have no problem arriving at the reservation on time, especially if your party is willing to take an Uber or Lyft from the airport rather than waiting for Disney's remarkably slow transportation. Might something go wrong and you miss lunch? Sure, of course. Something could always go wrong. If it does, I'd simply call Disney and politely explain the situation. I'd be surprised if your no-show fee wasn't waived. If you catch the wrong Cast Member who insists that you pay the fee, that's a bummer, but probably not a total disaster.

Basically, if you're willing to handle the "anxiety" -- sarcasm intended -- of possibly missing a lunch reservation and could deal with the chance that you're charged $40 for nothing, I say there's nothing to lose.

How are you getting to wcc?
That's a VERY good point. I missed the fact that the OP isn't staying on site.

OP- you're asking a lot. Getting from (landing at) MCO to YC and then from YC to WL in 2 1/2 hours is tight in and of itself. Allowing for any flight or traffic delay and you're going to need a lot of luck. Forget about Magical Express. Sometimes it's efficient. Mostly it's not. You sit there waiting for the bus to fill up with people going to your resort and then the bus makes stops at multiple resorts along the way to yours. Yacht Club is usually the third stop after Caribbean Beach and Boardwalk. It can be super annoying, not to mention time consuming.

A lot of unanswered questions.
The quick answer is it could work.
How are you getting from the Airport to Yacht club? If you are renting a car, Uber or shuttle, that saves you time, about 30 minutes after you leave. If you are using ME, that could take up to 90 minutes.
How are you getting from Yacht Club to wilderness? There is no direct bus. A bus from Yacht Club to Mk and then a boat or bus from MK to Wilderness could easily be an hour or more. If you have a rental car, Uber or taxi it would be under 30 minutes.
So, it could work. Personally, I would go for a later time if possible.

Does WCC book up that quickly for lunch? You can probably make a day of ADR and will have a better idea of time instead of giving yourself an anxiety attack trying to make it on time

Another thing to consider is if you’re willing to have lunch without some of your party if necessary.

Some Disney restaurants do refuse to check in a party if everyone’s not there. However, you will not be charged a no show fee if at least one person shows up, even for parties much larger than yours.

Since you’re arriving at different times, I don’t know if you’re planning to leave the airport together or separately. If you leave the airport as you arrive, those who come in earlier could go to WCC and talk to the people at the check in podium. If any travel delays happen for the person getting in last, you can let them know the situation and see if they’re willing to work with you. Worst case scenario becomes that they refuse to work with you and whoever’s late doesn’t get to eat lunch. I find that very unlikely, but it is a possibility.

While it was years ago, in my experience working as a greeter at a Disney World restaurant (Tony’s Town Square), we were FAR more willing and able to work with people who made the extra effort to talk to us, especially in person. So, if at all possible, my recommendation is always to show up and let someone know the situation.

As long as all flights both land and deplane on time I think you are likely ok provided you go right from the airport to WL and not try to to go to your resort first. I wouldn't do it personally but I've seen tighter windows met.

Does WCC book up that quickly for lunch? You can probably make a day of ADR and will have a better idea of time instead of giving yourself an anxiety attack trying to make it on time

The last time I stayed at Wilderness Lodge, it was not possible to make an ADR for WCC on the same day. They also were not taking walk ups. We tried both scenarios multiple times.

As long as all flights both land and deplane on time I think you are likely ok provided you go right from the airport to WL and not try to to go to your resort first. I wouldn't do it personally but I've seen tighter windows met.

Disney's Magical Express will only take guests to the resort where they are staying The OP would need another method of transportation if traveling directly to WL from MCO.

Disney's Magical Express will only take guests to the resort where they are staying The OP would need another method of transportation if traveling directly to WL from MCO.

I'm assuming they are taking a cab or Uber/Lyft and not ME or it will likely not work.

It's possible that you will make it...but is it worth the stress? I wouldn't want to start of my vacation rushing to make it to an ADR. Too many things can go wrong putting you behind schedule.

Barring any flight delays, I think you could make it. We just got here the other day...our flight arrived at 11:15. We deplaned, picked up our luggage, got our rental car (used online check in), stopped for lunch and groceries and made it to the boardwalk around 2. Had we come straight here, it probably would have been 12:30ish which would have given us enough plenty of time to get to WCC for a 1:15 ADR by taxi or car.

I would keep checking to see if you can get a later ADR to give yourself some more travel and what if time. You don’t have to decide until the day before you leave.

I rent a car and on average I'm checking in about 1.5 hours after wheels down, my most recent trip it was closer to an hour, so your 2 1/2 hours to get from plane landing to WCC is doable. You will either have to drive yourself or use a cab/uber though. It's possible you could make it with DME, but not likely. You will also need to do the same from YC to WCC because it's not likely you'll have enough time for Disney transportation.

Ideally, I would try to push that ADR close to 2:00 to give yourself a little breathing room. As long as you are okay with the possibility of missing the ADR (either due to flight delay or any issues with your ground transportation) then go for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter