Tinkerbell rumor I heard (possible spoiler info)

Cameo

DIS Veteran
Maybe some of you don't want to know the details about the flying Tinkerbell. If not, don't read on.

Disclaimer - this is all third-hand knowledge and I can't validate it's authenticity.

My husband's coworker's girlfriend worked at Disney on the college program. He asked her what was the biggest secret that she knew. She said not many know about Tinkerbell who flies from the castle. She (sometimes he) must weigh (I think) less than 100 pounds and be a certain height. They are literally pushed from the window of the castle and reach speeds of about 40 mph. They must go this fast or they could get stuck along the wire. She said there is a mattress against a wall at the end of the wire and that's where Tinkerbell "lands" - or smacks into.

She also said that it is a daring, injury-prone job and they get paid $500 per flight. Many get injuries and most don't stick around long. That's why sometimes it is indeed a man if they can't find a female.

Now I just want to stand near the end of the wire and see where Tinkerbell "lands"!!!:eek:

I'm not too sure about some of the info. I knew one "friend" who had assisted Tink for many, many years. And I am pretty sure she can weigh more then 100 pounds.

It wouldn't surprise me that there are size and/or weight restrictions for that job - for safety reasons alone. I think I remember someone heere posting a job description once.
Not sure about the $500 per flight though...

I've seen some telephoto Close-up shots of "Tink" during Fantasy in the Sky and Wishes.

100 lb. limit?

That burly guy with the dark mustache sliding down the wire looked pretty hefty to me.

(And for once, I'm NOT KIDDING.)

Maybe someone who kept those photos will re-post them.
;)

I've seen some telephoto Close-up shots of "Tink" during Fantasy in the Sky and Wishes.

100 lb. limit?

That burly guy with the dark mustache sliding down the wire looked pretty hefty to me.

(And for once, I'm NOT KIDDING.)

Maybe someone who kept those photos will re-post them.
;)

OMG, you are not kidding about this. Burly? Hefty? Mustache? I WON'T be sharing that info with the kids!!!

Yeah, I've seen the pictures of the "mustachioed" Tinkerbell. "She" did look heavier than 100 lbs. I thought the $500 sounded outlandish as well. That's why I wanted to post here and see if anyone knew the "real" truth.

I wonder about the stories people tell. Even though this gal worked at MK, who knows if she wasn't a receiver of the rumor mill there too??

$182,500 per year! I could work 7 days a week for that kind of money! I'd say at most (including commute) your putting in under 2 hours a day. Sign me up... but first I need to lose a LOT of weight!

If you take the KTTK tour, you get to see landing area. Its on a roof backstage, and not exactly something you smack into . . . although there is a big pad that resembles a mattress.

Our guide on the tour didn't say anything about size requirements, but he did say that it was not necessarily a woman. He also said that the person who did it was paid about the same for one "flight" as most of them get paid for a whole days work.

I'd love to see the close-up photos if someone has them!!

tinkerbell has to be more than 100 pounds because if she were that light, she would get stuck halfway down her flight path. she has to have enough weight and momentum to keep flying.

When we did the Keys to the Kingdom tour several years ago, we did get to see the mattress at the end that she/he flies into. If you know where to look you can see it. I'll check with DH to see if he remembers exactly where it is. According to our tour guide, there was a weight limit. If I remember correctly it was between 95-105/110 lbs. and that these are contract workers and do not work for Disney itself. Also where they land at the end there are supposedly 2 guys (burly, I would assume) holding mattresses along the side as well as the mattresses at the end of the landing area. Sometimes these guys are forced off the landing area and they fall about another 3 feet or so onto more mattresses.

i don't know specifically what the salary is, but tink gets paid a full weekly salary (as in 40 hours) + hazard pay and only has to perform the flights

1. Tinker Bell must weigh between 95 and 115 pounds.
  2. She wears nearly 70 pounds of harnesses and lights.
  3. She makes Actors' Equity wages plus hazard bonuses, and she gets paid for eight hours whether she flies or not.
  4. Sometimes it's not a Tinker Bell that flies. It's a Tinker Bill. :)

Heck, I'd do it for that kind of pay! (Then again, I don't have a problem jumping out of perfectly good airplanes, either! :)) That kind of pay is enough encouragement to lose the weight!

I'm glad I've never seen Tinker Bill... ewwww!

I wonder if there's a lot of people who 'try out' for that position?

3. She makes Actors' Equity wages plus hazard bonuses, and she gets paid for eight hours whether she flies or not.

I remember the upper limit as 120, and there was something about the height so that it is consistent... but this info is most accurate.

My husband SWORE it was Tinker Bill when we were there in Feb. I was just so mesmorized that I didn't pay attention to that. My daugther LOVED it and wanted her (him?) to fly again.

My mom had told me once that she was talking to a CM about Tink's flight and the CM said that Tink has a special pass that she/he gets to whip out and she/he gets front of the line access to a special parking lot just for her. The CM also told my mom that Tink usually doesn't get to work until about 5 mins before the show, don't know the exact amount that Tink gets per flight, but from what I am told, it is not a bad gig.

My mom had told me once that she was talking to a CM...

Well, that's good enough for me.

Those Disney park CMs get all their info from Disney bus drivers, who get all their info from Disney park CMs.

Ohhh, my head hurts.

:goodvibes

Don't tell me, Brian, you are RustyScupper?? :scared1: ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter