• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tipping Advice from former waitgirl!

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynesgirl

Maleficent is my hero!
Hello All! Not trying to be rude or pushy but I used to be a wait staffer and manager, as well as a bartender.

Now days, 18 to 20% is the norm for regular service. I know that when I take my children, who I make be as neat as possible, I start at 30% and go down, depending on service and messiness of my children.

I do understand that many people are on a budget, but can you imagine how many non-tippers and parents with messy children are at DW places on a regular basis? Remember, many of these people work there for jobs, not for fun! (Hard to believe not everyone loves DW, huh?) Also, they have to split tips with the bartender and the clean-up crew, and many times the hostess that seats you. And they take the brunt of frustration about bad food, or just bad day in general.

As a former waitstaff, please be generous to them as much as you can. It is a lot easier to get great service when you tip well, and are considerate to the server. I always say thank you and please, and try my best to keep neat because the work is hard and you would be super suprised the quality of the service you can get most of the time.

Just some advice from someone who knows!!!:cheer2:

Hello All! Not trying to be rude or pushy but I used to be a wait staffer and manager, as well as a bartender.

Now days, 18 to 20% is the norm for regular service. I know that when I take my children, who I make be as neat as possible, I start at 30% and go down, depending on service and messiness of my children.

I do understand that many people are on a budget, but can you imagine how many non-tippers and parents with messy children are at DW places on a regular basis? Remember, many of these people work there for jobs, not for fun! (Hard to believe not everyone loves DW, huh?) Also, they have to split tips with the bartender and the clean-up crew, and many times the hostess that seats you. And they take the brunt of frustration about bad food, or just bad day in general.

As a former waitstaff, please be generous to them as much as you can. It is a lot easier to get great service when you tip well, and are considerate to the server. I always say thank you and please, and try my best to keep neat because the work is hard and you would be super suprised the quality of the service you can get most of the time.

Just some advice from someone who knows!!!:cheer2:

How much of that 30% does the waitress get to keep?

Just curious.

So if a waitress had 4 tables that took a total of 90 mins to wait on and the total bill was?? $520.00 which is $40 per person for 13 people. 4 tables total, 2 having 4 people, one having 3, and one having 2.

The tip "should" be 30% of the $520=$156.00 for the 90 mins of work? hhhmmmm that is $103 per hour. Now I understand she will not get the full 30%, and she will have some time before and after her shift where she isn't waiting tables and won't be making the $103.00 per hour. But dang.....

Would it be fair to say a waitress could wait on ??? 25 people in a night shift at $40 per person? that would mean 40 x 25=1000.00 in reciepts x30%=300.00 per night, if she waited on 25 people.

Is my math wrong? Maybe I am over estimating the number of people she can wait on in a shift. is 25 to high? Also i understand she doesn't get the whole 30%

I shoulda been a waiter.

Okay I think we could do a whole up or down. I typically have a base and go up if the service is exceptional. It would have to be pretty fantastic for 30% though. Actually on the key paid for paying with plastic they have preset percentaged in some places and I think the highest I have seen is 20%.

I am a big tipper. I don't own a car and when a cab driver goes out of his way for me I tip very well keeping in mind there gas costs. Becasue this one is handed to them directly I have had cab drivers insist on giving me money back.

Depending on where you wait tables, it really depends how much you have to delegate to people. With many chains places, an average bill is $70 for family of 4 ordering average meals, with drinks for adults and appetizers. That's a $14 tip @20%. With let's say, 8 tables per night (Usual average 5-6

$14x8=$112

Factor in giving the bartender $22.40 (20%), the dishwashers a $5-8 tip, then you have $81.60 left. You then give the hostess $8 for $73.60. But also factor in that 1 table doesn't tip, 2 tables left you only 10%, and 3 tables left a mess so large that you spent so much time cleaning it up that the hostess sits customers in other tables and you lost those tips. Also, you pray for a night with 8 tables, usually only 4 to 6. You are also on your feet with people that sometimes undervalue what you do-it is not easy to balance a tray with lots of heavy food and dodge other people. Plus, you break a dish, they take it out of your tips.

If you are not picky, don't complain, and like to be left alone, then 15% is cool because it is easier to wait on other. more demanding people.

Now, at finer dining, it relates to a lot more money being doled out to other people. Then, it really is acceptable for 18%. But, 20% is easier to figure on the fly. And for drinks at a bar, single drinks=$1 plus any change. Tab should be 20% or more.

Being a waitress paid my way through school, but sometimes, it really isn't easy. You go home and cry a lot when you work for 9 grueling hours and make $40. But, I loved the challenge and it takes a strong person to do it right.

I also am a former waiter, but I do not think the whole "starting at 30%" is even remotely reasonable. I think that there are a lot of people out there that actually get offended by these types of remarks/suggestions and start to resent waitstaff.

I will not go into all the boring details, about how food costs reflect costs of living increases, so waitstaff salaries would go up without increasing the percentage. The truth is a tip is a tip, some will be higher than others, but that is your choice.

Start at 30% ??

popcorn::

Like I posted, I know that kids can be messy and more demanding than some. (Mine better not be or they won't go out to eat again.)
But, I did the job for so long that I can be more generous than some. Believe me, I always appreciated 20% (10% was the norm when I was waiting tables). Plus, as a bartender, you are always going to make that better drink for the $3 tip than for the .50 tip.

As a waitress, a lot of times just someone taking the moment to "tidy up" (stack their dishes) and say thank you and please for things, and not snapping your fingers at me was super great. I bet that is a biggie for many DW wait staff.

you are always going to make that better drink for the $3 tip than for the .50 tip.

Not real sure how you make a glass of wine "better". $3 tip for making a drink that takes 1 min. Good work if ya can get it.

Waynesgirl, what would you guess would be the total reciepts and number of people waited on, would be, for a waitress working at??........let's say Whispering Cannon in the course of an 8 hour shift.

Sorry-wasn't trying to make anyone mad. Of course, 30% is crazy to most, but that's my preference. I have eaten at a lot of places in DW and I have actually been thanked by the manager for being so kind to the servers and being more patient than most, even with the kids in tow. Servers that get good tips tend to remember you the next night when you go back as well.

I have seen a lot of parents be overly demanding and very unattentive to their children and watched the faces of the servers hoping these parents will wrestle their kids to the ground before they trip over them.

However, I am just as generous to my hairdresser and others that serve. The rate of pay for servers is $2.15 p/h then you have to pay your taxes from all that you claim (which had better be enough to make at least over minimum wage). That is why so many places put a 18.5% gratuity on the bill now.

But, a tip is always appreciated. Just giving a different viewpoint for some of the many posts asking about tipping.

I'm sorry, but 30% is just ridiculous unless the service is exceptional.

I know servers work hard, but really, the idea that we should start out at 30% (which is not standard American etiquette that I've seen anywhere) is over the top.

Servers don't make much in the way of a salary. They depend on tips. That's NOT their fault--it's just the way it is in the American restaurant business. Could there be a better way? Maybe. But none of the restaurants (including all those at WDW) seem to be rushing into it. It's been this way for a long time. Must be some reason??

Anyway, a good server can certainly make good money and that's OK by me. It's certainly not rocket science, but many work hard, have to hustle, and sometimes put up with all sorts of what I'll just generously call "abuse".
As I've often said before, I wouldn't last one night waiting on the "general public" no matter how good the tips were.
My own feeling is that 30% is a bit much--we'll always do around 20% and then a bit more if it's a server we know, or a new person that does really well.

Not real sure how you make a glass of wine "better". $3 tip for making a drink that takes 1 min. Good work if ya can get it.

Waynesgirl, what would you guess would be the total reciepts and number of people waited on, would be, for a waitress working at??........let's say Whispering Cannon in the course of an 8 hour shift.

Can't say as I am unfamiliar with the pricing. If it is a deluxe style rest., then I would say 18% is more than fair because they probably get paid a higher minimum wage than a average rest.

As far as wine, it is different than a liquor drink. $1 for a beer or wine is great to any bartender. Overpouring is illegal in many states, so to get a little extra in a drink requires some form of skill and sneakiness. Thus, the tip.

Like I said, it depended on where you are eating and how. In Vic and Alberts, an average tip is more than acceptable. In a place that is loaded with kids and very busy, a little bit, just 2 bucks extra, is ALWAYS appreciated. Maybe slide it with one of those cute cast member thank you cards. I didn't mean throw $15 extra on the table-so I am sorry that I didn't elaborate earlier!!!!

I also am a former waiter, but I do not think the whole "starting at 30%" is even remotely reasonable. I think that there are a lot of people out there that actually get offended by these types of remarks/suggestions and start to resent waitstaff.

I will not go into all the boring details, about how food costs reflect costs of living increases, so waitstaff salaries would go up without increasing the percentage. The truth is a tip is a tip, some will be higher than others, but that is your choice.

Amen! From reading these boards I find myself more and more offended by wait staff. I am actually almost dreading going to Disney in March. It's hard to like people who seem to feel so entitled.

waynesgirl said:
As a waitress, a lot of times just someone taking the moment to "tidy up" (stack their dishes) and say thank you and please for things, and not snapping your fingers at me was super great. I bet that is a biggie for many DW wait staff.

We as a family are VERY good about this. We always say please and thank you. If we ever need anything like more napkins, we always will say please and ask them to bring them when they have a chance. Never a rush.

We also tidy our table before we go, often we get scolded by the servers at our favorite Mexican restaurant for doing this. "No, No, that's our job"

We also will tip a higher percentage if the bill is low but the service is high. Take our favorite mexican place.

Bill for the four of us, Appetizer, four entrees and one dessert, is $35. We tip a minimum of $10 because that's the level of service we receive there, though the 18% 'standard' is only $6.30.

Now at Disney the same meal would cost us $78.79. A minimum tip there would be $14.18. I have only received the level of service at Disney ONCE that we receive at our local Mexican place once a week. (We received good service prior to beginning to tip $10 at our local place) Is it fair that the server in Disney gets so much more for doing the same or less, no. Is it the way the market works? Yes. Do I begrudge the market? No.

Regardless, one should never feel obligated to tip a minimum of 30% or appear cheap. Tips are discretionary and should be based upon service. If someone chooses to tip more, fine, but don't shove it on everyone else that you're right and everyone else is wrong because you choose to go above and beyond.

Sorry-wasn't trying to make anyone mad. Of course, 30% is crazy to most, but that's my preference. I have eaten at a lot of places in DW and I have actually been thanked by the manager for being so kind to the servers and being more patient than most, even with the kids in tow. Servers that get good tips tend to remember you the next night when you go back as well.

I have seen a lot of parents be overly demanding and very unattentive to their children and watched the faces of the servers hoping these parents will wrestle their kids to the ground before they trip over them.

However, I am just as generous to my hairdresser and others that serve. The rate of pay for servers is $2.15 p/h then you have to pay your taxes from all that you claim (which had better be enough to make at least over minimum wage). That is why so many places put a 18.5% gratuity on the bill now.

But, a tip is always appreciated. Just giving a different viewpoint for some of the many posts asking about tipping.

But you wright "tipping advice" :confused3 :confused3

I read more comments of people tipping less than 18 % so your advice of 30 % is "blowing in the wind".

However, I am just as generous to my hairdresser and others that serve. The rate of pay for servers is $2.15 p/h...

Disney's rate is higher than that, though below minimum wage. Minimum is $3.80/hour at Disney. I believe, from looking at the contract that this is the minimum whether at WCC or Jiko.

I know servers work hard, but really, the idea that we should start out at 30% (which is not standard American etiquette that I've seen anywhere) is over the top.

The OP didn't say that everyone had to do that. That is what the OP does because she has been in the servers shoes before. Also remember that the server does not get to keep all of their tips. They must share it with others in the restaurant including food runners, bartenders, sometimes busboys, hostesses, ect. And they make way less than minimum wage and have to pay taxes on their tips. So in reality they may not be making very much off of what you leave.

Sorry I touched a nerve with everyone. I know that 30% isn't standard but that is just my thing. Usually, something happens and generally it is between 23-27%. But, I demand a higher level of service for my tip as well, no matter where I eat! So, maybe that's where the "funny looks" I am getting are coming from. I am not rude, ever, but i do want what I tip for and I will get it. Like the other night, I only left 15% for a very poor service dinner. Food was good, server was horrible.

But on a lighter note:
I'm staying at the POR in Apr? How is it?

I always tip a % be it 15 or 18 or what ever.

But I often wonder why we tip a % of the meal? Is it harder to serve me a lobster then a pizza? so I should give you more $.

Is it harder pour a glass of the house wine vs a $12 glass of a finer wine, so I should tip more?

It would make sense to me, if we simply tipped a dollar amount based upon how much time a person puts in making our meal better.

A waitress could wait on 8 people at Spoodles that spend $230 total, by ordering an entree and water/coffee or a waitress could wait on a table of 4 that has a bill of $250 with a bottle of wine and a cocktail prior to dinner.

Now common sense tells you the table of 8 took more work, but the tips could be the same.

That makes no cents to me.

I wish a waitress made a fair wage, and the owners of the eating establishments would simply fire the ones who didn't do good jobs, and DO AWAY with the whole idea of adding some mystery % to the final bill.

If this means the cost of my meal goes up 5 bucks a plate, then so be it.

I only left 15% for a very poor service dinner. Food was good, server was horrible.

So you gave the server a "tip" for the horrible service they gave you?

Yikes if I perfom at a "horrible" level at my job, I am shown the door.

So you gave the server a "tip" for the horrible service they gave you?

Yikes if I perfom at a "horrible" level at my job, I am shown the door.

I did complain highly, but she was not responsible for cleaning the table nor anything else. I did explain to the manager that I wanted her tip money to be properly allocated to the right people as I had only my plastic-no cash to give. Plus, the bartender made a great round for my DH and I. I did not want to cheat them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter