Tipping after paying prepaid tips?

Hendlaw

Mouse Owned
We did the prepaid tips. My question is this. On our last trip, we did the same but still felt compelled to tip our server who did a great job. We also tipped the head server, room steward, etc. I feel like this was redundant. What tips are expected when tips are prepaid?

When tips are prepaid the only extra would be room service. Of course you can always put more in the other envelopes but don't have to. If you want to give them something physical DCL will give you envelopes and tear off papers you can stuff them with to let them know what you already tipped.

We did the prepaid tips. My question is this. On our last trip, we did the same but still felt compelled to tip our server who did a great job. We also tipped the head server, room steward, etc. I feel like this was redundant. What tips are expected when tips are prepaid?
The prepaid gratuities cover your room host; dining room server, assistant server; and head server. The gratuity you pay is $12.00 per guest (each of you on your reservation) per night. That $12.00 breaks out to: $4.00 per guest per night to your room host; $4.00 per guest per night to your dining room server; $3.00 per guest per night to your assistant server; and $1.00 per guest per night to your head server.

The auto-gratuity, is sufficient for all those positions. That said, you may find that someone does a more than fabulous job for you. In that case you certainly can tip additionally.

At the end of the cruise, you will receive in your room tip envelopes and a gratuity sheet
gratuities sheet 2014 0220 P1040185 1500a.jpg

The sheet indicates who is getting tipped (by name and position) and the amount. You tear the slips off and put them in the appropriate envelope. If you wish to tip additionally, you can put cash in the envelope along with the slip.
gratuities envelopes 1500.jpg

It is perfectly acceptable, if you feel the service was exactly what you wanted, and nothing great, to just go with the auto gratuity.

Gratuities for extra cost beverages (alcoholic, speciality coffees, smoothies, etc.) are added automatically at 15%. I usually add an extra 5% or more for what is usually very attentive service. In addition, we have almost always added additional cash to the gratuity envelopes to supplement our prepaid gratuities for our stateroom host, and the head server, server, and assistant server in the MDRs. These are based on the quality of service we experience. In only a single instance (out of nine cruises) of a rather disengaged stateroom host have we not provided additional cash for these four. On our most recent 7-night (total) back-to-back, our head server did such a good job managing my DW's food allergy that the extra gratuity substantially exceeded the prepaid recommended gratuity. The servers and assistant servers were also given extra, but it was the head server who really went above and beyond, even serving some specially prepared meals at breakfast and lunch.

We put extra money in the envelopes for those who do a great job. We usually also put in a Hershey bar (fits perfectly), which they seem to love.

I usually just go with the auto gratuity, unless someone does an outstanding job, in which case I'll add a little extra cash to the envelope. You also have the option of going to guest services to have the tip adjusted and having new slips printed to tuck in the envelopes.

If you don't have any cash, you can also take your slips to Guest Services and they can charge the additional to your stateroom and give you new tickets to put in the envelopes.

I have never done the "pre-paid gratuity". Is it simply adding up $12 per person per day and depositing that amount on your shipboard account? Or is that money specifically set aside, separate from your folio, to be used solely for covering your servers' and stateroom attendant's tips?

Last edited:
our extended family usually travel together with cousins having sleepovers so we make sure to tip extra to the stateroom host. I wonder if they dread us bed hoping people. we try to not be a pain.

I have never done the "pre-paid gratuity". Is it simply adding up $84 per person per day and depositing that amount on your shipboard account? Or is that money specifically set aside, separate from your folio, to be used solely for covering your servers' and stateroom attendant's tips?
If you don't pre-pay, $12.00 per day per guest is added to your onboard account. That's earmarked for gratutities.

If you pre-pay, usually when you make your reservation, but can be done later, the total amount is added to your cruise cost and added to your onboard account as a credit.

If you don't pre-pay, $12.00 per day per guest is added to your onboard account. That's earmarked for gratutities.

If you pre-pay, usually when you make your reservation, but can be done later, the total amount is added to your cruise cost and added to your onboard account as a credit.

Thx. My bad on the "$84" (we usually cruise seven days, so $12 x 7=$84. $84 per person for the entirety of the cruise).

So, if you pre-pay but, for whatever reason, change your mind about tipping, you could turn off auto-gratuity and "spend down" that credit on other stuff before it is used to pay gratuities, yes?

Thx. My bad on the "$84" (we usually cruise seven days, so $12 x 7=$84. $84 per person for the entirety of the cruise).

So, if you pre-pay but, for whatever reason, change your mind about tipping, you could turn off auto-gratuity and "spend down" that credit on other stuff before it is used to pay gratuities, yes?
Not sure whether the credit applied to your onboard account via the extra you pay toward the cost of the cruise is earmarked for gratuities or not. But, even if it isn't, your account gets charged that $12.00 per guest per night unless you remove the auto gratuities.

We put extra money in the envelopes for those who do a great job. We usually also put in a Hershey bar (fits perfectly), which they seem to love.
Are they allowed to accept a candy bar from a passenger?

Just to clarify... the serving staff and stateroom host do NOT know that you have pre-paid. They do not receive those funds any earlier. They are giving the same spiel to all guests. So, if you felt extra was redundant, you were under no obligation to give more.

If you have pre-paid for the 4 tipped positions (3 in the MDR plus stateroom host), the only other tips you are expected to give are the auto-gratuities included on the slip for alcoholic drinks or specialty beverages, and at the spa. Again, these will be added to the slip that you sign, you are under no obligation to pay additional above the auto amounts listed. You might want to tip: room service, excursion guides and/or drivers, porters or anyone who handles your bags at embarkation/debarkation, drivers for pre- or post-cruise transportation. Most people will also give a tip for dining at Palo/Remy.

Enjoy your cruise!

Certainly! And they always seem to be delighted! We stumbled upon this quite by accident when we were on our Halloween cruise. We had organized a stateroom trick or trick on our cruise meet (sort of like an in person FE) and we brought along way more candy than we needed. We really didn't want to cart it all home so we gave it to our stateroom host. He was overjoyed! It was a real treat. Our cruise after that, we brought candy on purpose for our servers and stateroom host. They were excited. We tried to bring something nicer the second time - some nice caramels.

As long as they are commercially pre-packed (not homemade or anything) there's no problem.

What tips are expected when tips are prepaid?

None for those who are prepaid. Others have mentioned the things that aren't included in the per-night tip, like booze, espresso, probably Vanellope's if you're on a ship with that, etc.

That said, you may find that someone does a more than fabulous job for you. In that case you certainly can tip additionally.

Totally.

It is perfectly acceptable, if you feel the service was exactly what you wanted, and nothing great, to just go with the auto gratuity.

Absolutely.

If you don't have any cash, you can also take your slips to Guest Services and they can charge the additional to your stateroom and give you new tickets to put in the envelopes.

Ayep. Though you don't actually have to give the tickets and envelopes to anyone; they get the money regardless.

Yes. But if I were an employee I certainly wouldn't eat it. I would thank the person and then put it in the trash. Especially American candy, since so little of it is actually decent. But most of it is that I don't accept candy from strangers (except for the mouseplanet people at Disneyland half marathons LOL).

Keep in mind that while you pre paid for the gratuities. You can still adjust those to go higher and/or lower for each individual person.

JW.

We also usually add a large tip for our Palo server for both Brunch and Dinner.

We are sailing concierge in April. Is there a prepaid gratuity for the concierge hosts?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter