Tipping Clarification

sistert

Mouseketeer
OK, I thought I had this all understood but...

A friend just came back from her cruise (Carnival) and said that she was automatically charged the tips right from the beginning. She said she went down to pay down her bill on the second day and saw that she was already charged $120 ($60 a piece) for gratuities. On the last day there were envelopes available that she put a little extra in.

I was not under the impression that tipping was automatically billed to each person's room. I am thinking this is either a weird Carnival thing or she misunderstood (she said they had a lot of drinks on board) and that was the 15% added to drinks and such. If that is the cse, she ended up not tipping her stewards appropriately after all.

The reason I'm asking is I don't mind the tips being billed to the room but I'd prefer to decide if the tipping amount is sufficient or too much depending on my own observations. If I get stellar service, I'll tip handsomely. If I get a dud, besides alerting someone to my displeasure, I'd tip lightly if at all. Being forced to dip seems rude!

Could someone who's cruised on the DCL please explain exactly how tipping is handled. I just want to not be surprised when the time comes.

Tips are only included on slips you sign for things you will charged for.... such as alcoholic drinks, specialty coffees, etc.

Carnival may do it differently, but on Disney, you have complete discretion for tipping your room steward, server, etc. You'll get information with your documents on the recommended tipping amounts, but they will not be automatically charged to your room.

Julie

Some cruise lines (such as Carnival) have gone to automatic tipping because they feel that too many passengers "stiff" the people who serve them. Other cruise lines (including Disney) have <b><i>not</i></b> gone to automatic tipping because they don't want their staff to become complacent. They want their staff to "bust their butts" to earn the tips you will certainly want to give them.

Some cruise lines include tips automatically, DCL does NOT, except for a 15% gratuity automatically added for all drinks you purchase. That includes soda and bottled water.

As Julie said, on DCL you'll be given a sheet with instructions on tipping and the envelopes for the folks who are tipped. You can charge the tips to your room charge and they will give you a little stubs to put in the envelopes that lets the crew know how much you tipped them. Or you can use cash if you prefer. :)

That's what I thought (for DCL). Shame that other lines have gone to automatic tipping because I agree it lets their staff become lacks in the jobs. If you know you're getting the same tip, why put in that extra umpf?

Thanks everyone! I knew you'd all come through for me!

Some groups cruising on DCL have their tips included in their cruise price. This will be my 3rd DCL cruise and the 3rd time my tips were included. On the last day we get stubs to put in the envelopes and at that time we can include extra if we want for really good service.

Just thought I'd mention this alternate method used by some group cruisers.

~Nancy~

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter