Tipping for Capture your Moment

ninafeliz

DIS Veteran
Who has tipped for a Capture Your Moment Session? We have done them before and we did not tip the photographer, but honestly it was because it hadn't occurred to me ahead of time and I typically don't carry a lot of cash so I couldn't. Do most people tip? if you do, do you tip both the photographer and the other one who helps? How much? I think when we last did one it was $50 and then maybe they went up some, and now they are $100. I don't mean to start an argument about tipping in general, I just honestly wondered in this specific situation and have no idea what the norm or expected is for this.

We had 2 folks with us at MK when we did this with a little one. Both the photographer and her assistant (combination traffic cop, sign holder, support person, etc) did a great job and made the experience extra special. We tipped both, and I want to say $20 each - not extravagant, but enough to hopefully let them know we appreciated their talents and efforts for us. And the photos they provided - priceless!

I tried to tip the photographer and he turned it down. I know I kept trying but cannot remember if he finally took it or not. It was not too long after they started doing this.

We did this as a couple in Oct ‘22 when it cost $79 iirc. We had a photographer and assistant (maybe in training?) and both helped make it a great experience. DH gave them each $10. Might be a little excessive but they quickly ushered us through a bunch of gorgeous locations and were getting all the best angles. Really maximized the 20 minutes. I don’t think this package is something you must tip for but everything went so smooth this day DH wanted to show his appreciation.

We've done th Capture your moment twice AK in 2021 and Disneyland in 2022. Both times we were told very firmly, thank you, but it's not allowed.

I made sure I had their names, and sent a complimentary email both times.

Thanks so much everyone - those are the best answers ever! They make me feel better about not tipping before- since some CMs didn’t even take the tip- but also let me feel like we can decide this time based on the experience. I’ll probably plan on tipping $10 (doesn’t seem like enough but there are two of them and higher does really add to the total cost)-$20 (if they seem to do a great job. This amt seems better but x2 is a 40% tip so we’ll see) each based on how each session goes.

In the past it’s been hit or miss on the quality of the photos with these sessions, some were in a lot of shadow or very dark, but I want to do it to make sure we get the iconic photos with us all without waiting in multiple PhotoPass lines, plus they do a better job of having less people in the periphery/background.

Thanks so much everyone - those are the best answers ever! They make me feel better about not tipping before- since some CMs didn’t even take the tip- but also let me feel like we can decide this time based on the experience. I’ll probably plan on tipping $10 (doesn’t seem like enough but there are two of them and higher does really add to the total cost)-$20 (if they seem to do a great job. This amt seems better but x2 is a 40% tip so we’ll see) each based on how each session goes.

In the past it’s been hit or miss on the quality of the photos with these sessions, some were in a lot of shadow or very dark, but I want to do it to make sure we get the iconic photos with us all without waiting in multiple PhotoPass lines, plus they do a better job of having less people in the periphery/background.

This is my whole problem with Disney charging so much for these sessions. If you get a good photographer, you can get some excellent photos. If you get a mediocre photographer, you've paid a hundred dollars for a set of mediocre photos.

We've done th Capture your moment twice AK in 2021 and Disneyland in 2022. Both times we were told very firmly, thank you, but it's not allowed.

I made sure I had their names, and sent a complimentary email both times.

yes! You triggered my memory. They adamantly refused multiple attempts to tip so I sent them cast member compliments.

I also tried to tip my CYM photographer and assistant and they both refused saying they weren't allowed. This was in September 2022.

They are not allowed to take a tip, it is not considered a tipped position. Some may have accepted in the past, however this could be basis for termination. And if a guest insists, the whole you have to refuse it 3 times doesn't mean that after 3 it is okay to take it and keep - it's not, the CM can take it then they are supposed to turn it in to a leader. MANY years ago when I was just starting at FD/Guest Services, we would get tipped and if a guest insisted, we turned it in and had a fund. We would use the money to buy snacks or pizza for the Cast. Or donate to Give Kids the World.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter