Tipping/gratuities/prepaid dining questions

aussiegirls

DIS Veteran
Hi guys

Let me start by saying that we are from Australia and we don't do the whole tipping thing here, so I really don't know what the protocol is and I want to ask a few questions.

Normally when we are in the US we just play it by ear regarding tips so I really don't know if I am doing it right or wrong. I was considering buying a few of the prepaid character dining vouchers from getaway today. As I understand they include tip in the cost. Also, if you don't have a prepaid voucher, when they bring you the bill at a character meal I'm pretty sure they have already added a tip in so you don't have to leave any extra, is that right?

Now, purely hypothetical, what if you were to go and the service was truly terrible (I'm sure it wouldn't be, it never has, but I'm just curious as to procedure if it was) and you only wanted to leave a smaller tip than what they have automatically added to your bill, would that be possible? Obviously I understand it's not possible if you have prepaid, but what if you haven't? Is the "gratuity" part of the bill changeable or do you just pay whatever they tell you to pay? If so, doesn't seem like much of a gratuity to me, it just seems like you pay what they charge you.

Also, with other places aside from character dining, how do you work out how much you are expected to tip? Is it based on how much you spend, how many people are there or something else? Also, what about non food tips such as cabs etc?

Please help an aussie :)

Thanks

Tips are typically not included with any voucher...or rather the server would not actually see any of that money.

15% is standard for a full service restaurant, 20-25% for a great job...less if it is horrible (but don't punish the server for something that was not their fault).

"Gratuities Included" are typically on the bill for groups of either 6 or 8 and more (varies by location)...bit it will be listed at the bottom of the bill. If service is absolute crap, you can ask to see a manager and have that amount adjusted.

Buffet is customary for at least $1 per person at the table.

Character meals fall between the two. Personally I still usually leave about 10%.

Double check your voucher for gratuities. My premium character voucher says gratuity included so always read the fine print. Tipping varies from region to region in the US so I don't know what the SoCal norm is.

As said by the previous poster, if you don't get good service ask for a manager. I say ask even if the tip isn't included - they can't fix what isn't brought to their attention.

I bought the vouchers from Getaway Today for our last trip and the gratuity was definitely included.

And in a restaurant, remember that you are tipping on the pre-tax total. We use 15%-18% as the minimum, 20% as the average at DLR because the service is usually so good, and more if the service is really above and beyond what was expected (e.g. if we asked for a lot of special requests and specific services, and the CM went all out, we've given 25%).

For poor service, definitely ask for a manager and discuss the problem. It might be fixable at the time or the manager might deduct certain items from your bill. Agree about not punishing the server for what isn't their fault. The tip gets divided among the server, the bus person, and maybe another person or two.

Housekeeping at your hotel gets tips, too. $3-$5 per day minimum for the basic room cleaning. If you ask for special requests or are really messy, tip more. And on major holidays, like Christmas Day, tip more.

Regarding cabs, for us it depends on the fare, the distance, and how much the driver helps us. If it is a set fare, like from the airport, we tip 15% plus $1 per bag if the driver carries them to the car or to the door.

Tipping in the U.S. is confusing, but there are websites that can help simplify things. Try Google to see if you can find something helpful. If you do, link it here for other international guests.

Im from Ireland and we dont have the tipping thing here either,lol My Sol Cal friends told me the easiest way is to double the tax amount, so for example, if the tax amount is $3 you leave a $6 cash tip.

Im from Ireland and we dont have the tipping thing here either,lol My Sol Cal friends told me the easiest way is to double the tax amount, so for example, if the tax amount is $3 you leave a $6 cash tip.

This one is dependent on where you are though and won't work everywhere in the US, because the tax amounts change. I'm guessing so Cal has high taxes so that probably works, but where I live you would only be tipping 12%. However a city just over the border in another state near us would get 16% by doubling the tax.

People here in the states have varying opinions on tipping, so don't feel bad if it seems complicated. I've worked with waitresses and my daughter was one for a while, so I always keep the following in mind, when tipping.

1. Wait staff typically get paid between $2 and $3 per hour. Menu prices reflect that pay scale and the wait staff depends on tips for the remainder of their pay each day. I'm not saying this is an excuse for poor service, I'm just saying I always figure if they do the minimal work while you're there (getting your food, filling your drinks) you're taking up time when they could be making other money. For that reason I rarely tip zero. A 10% tip will let them know they didn't do their job up to your standards.

2. The restaurant withholds taxes from the wait staff (out of their $2 to $3 per hour) at a rate that figures in average tips for a shift. So, if everyone tips zero for the night, that waiter or waitress comes out in the negative for that night.

3. While ultimately a waiter or waitress shares responsibility for making sure you have good service. There are areas that can be out of their control. Many times I see poor service times, bad food as a management issue. Yes, I want my waiter or waitress to be in making sure our food is coming along, but I keep in mind the fact that no matter what they do, things happen. I always keep that in mind when tipping.

4. At nicer restaurants, the wait staff typically shares tips with bartenders and cooks. They will do this regardless of what you tip, so if you stiff them, in some cases, they've paid for some of your service for you.

5. Your tip should be based on the total meal, before discounts. So if you happen to use a coupon, or something that otherwise removes an item from your bill, remember the right thing to do is tip based on the original amount.

All of that said, I'd love it if we didn't have to deal with tipping, but for me it's a don't hate the player, hate the game deal. Because of the waiters and waitresses I know, I tend to tip well and I will complain to management before I'll stiff someone.

Jeff

In CA, wait staff make minimum wage.

Since the OP specifically asked about SoCal, the "double the tax" generally works. Round up for good service, round down for poor service. Most of the restaurants at Disneyland are helpful and have tip amounts listed on the check.

I will personally tip (on the side) the bartender. At major Disney restaurants I discovered they don't tip out the bartenders.

@Malcon10t is right. The tax in Anaheim (and most of Southern California) is 8% so doubling the tax is a great way to know you're at least tipping 16% and add a bit more to get to 20% (Where I live in Alameda County is 9.5% so we usually tip 19% doubling the tax).

And wait staff does NOT make $2- $3 in California. Some cities (again some here in Alameda County) require paying a "living wage" but most are minimum wage which is $9/hr and Jan 1st goes to $10/hr. That's not to say that this is enough money as the Anaheim area is Top 5 most expensive cities in the ENTIRE U.S. at $685,700 (AGAIN we in the Bay Area are #1 at $980,000 average :mad: )

Depending on the restaurant the wait staff generally does at least tip out the busboy and hostess.

I agree with the PP who said if you have an issue or bad service to ask for a manager instead of tipping 10% or nothing. 15% is standard and if you have a problem it should be presented to the server or a manager so they can attempt to rectify it before you just cut into people's incomes when it may have been out of their control.

My friend is a Head Chef at a Cheesecake Factory and he told us a story once how they just kept messing up orders and food quality (despite it basically being all pre-prepared food) and the wait staff/bartenders/busboys/barbacks all made so little money that the cooking staff gave them their pay for the day because it was completely their fault.

Add to it, they are taxed on a minimum of 8% of their sales. Even if there is no tip left...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter