• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tipping Wedding Vendors

sk!mom

DIS Veteran
Sorry in advance for another tipping thread but hey they’re usually interesting what with regional differences and all. :-)

Here goes...DD23 is getting married in the fall and DH and I were just discussing the remaining expenditures and tips came up.

The venue includes catering and bar and is charging an 18% gratuity so that should cover waitstaff and bartenders. I’m sure many guests will also tip bartenders, as they get drinks, so we should be good there.

That leaves the DJ, florist, photographer, and wedding planner as vendors who will be present on the wedding day. All 4 are independent contractors who set the price and will work the event themselves, if that makes a difference.

It seems like DJ’s might be tipped for an especially fun party but it’s never occurred to me to tip a florist or photographer. This is my first experience with a wedding planner.

Help me prepare my final budget, please.

I wouldn't think the florist would expect a tip. The price for the floral arrangements and perhaps delivery to the venue and set-up is agreed upon in advance. What else would require their presence to "work the event"?

Same with the photographer, no tip necessary unless he/she accommodates a last minute extra request.

I a tipper and even I wouldn't tip the florist or the photographer. DJ would be a game day decision, but even then, I probably wouldn't.

Exactly what I was thinking. My DH is the big tipper here and I keep reminding him of the hefty included tip so that we don’t check in after to find that he tipped a great deal more.

Last edited:

I own a DJ business. I DJ my own events, so its not a concern to me, but most DJ's are pretty under paid. If they don't own the company, they might take home less than 20% of what you were charged. (Most entertainment companies are pretty shady) I'd tip your DJ.

In my experience, I get tipped at 90% of the weddings I do. I get tipped at 70% of family events. I get tipped at 10% of corporate gigs. I have only ever been tipped at 1 school dance.

I also talk with outside vendors. The photographer gets tipped 50% of the time, and it always seems to be tied to their diligence. I rarely hear of a florist getting tipped.

Around here, the venue typically keeps the tip and it's how it pays the servers and bartenders. They don't get the tip on top of their salary. :( I've tipped the servers when I've hosted events... not so much the bartenders because they will make tips over the course of the event.

I wouldn't tip the florist, photographer or DJ.

I own a DJ business her. I DJ my own events, so its not a concern to me, but most DJ's are pretty under paid. If they don't own the company, they might take home less than 20% of what you were charged. (Most entertainment companies are pretty shady) I'd tip your DJ.

In my experience, I get tipped at 90% of the weddings I do. I get tipped at 70% of family events. I get tipped at 10% of corporate gigs. I have only ever been tipped at 1 school dance.

I also talk with outside vendors. The photographer gets tipped 50% of the time, and it always seems to be tied to their diligence. I rarely hear of a florist getting tipped.
Very interesting... I will start to tip DJs.

Very interesting... I will start to tip DJs.

Thank you. I honestly feel bad for these guys. There is a company around Cleveland that is INSANELY Expensive- they charge $750 an hour, minimum of 2 hours. DJ gets paid $60 an hour. Luckily, he isn't using his own equipment.

Another company, $400 an hour, minimum of 2 hours, $50 set up fee.
DJ keeps the set up fee. Makes $100 an hour, but must use his own equipment.

Now, imagine some kid has to go to the venue early, buy his own suit, set up lights, sound gear, and stay late to take them down. The company charged the wedding couple $750 an hour for a DJ and speakers, and an extra $500-$5000 for alighting package.

The company made up to $6500, and paid the DJ $240.( 1 hour to set up, 1 to tear down, 2 hours to play music.) Thats RIDICULOUS.

The other issue with these companies is you don't know who you are going to get. It could be a super experienced guy, or some kid with a laptop. My business excels because its me, every time. No exceptions. You know exactly what you're getting when you sign the contract.

So yeah, be weary of Entertainment companies. Pro tip- the bigger it is, the worse it is. Small companies can do the exact same thing bigger guys can do, for WAY less. You just have to ask.

Last edited:
Thank you. I honestly feel bad for these guys. Their is a company around Cleveland that is INSANELY Expensive- they charge $750 an hour, minimum of 2 hours. DJ gets paid $60 an hour. Luckily, he isn't using his own equipment.

Another company, $400 an hour, minimum of 2 hours, $50 set up fee.
DJ keeps the set up fee. Makes $100 an hour, but must use his own equipment.

Now, imagine some kid has to go to the venue early, buy his own suit, set up lights, sound gear, and stay late to take them down. The company charged the wedding couple $750 an hour for a DJ and speakers, and an extra $500-$5000 for alighting package.

The company made up to $6500, and paid the DJ $240.( 1 hour to set up, 1 to tear down, 2 hours to play music.) Thats RIDICULOUS.

The other issue with these companies is you don't know who you are going to get. It could be a super experienced guy, or some kid with a laptop. My business excels because its me, every time. No exceptions. You know exactly what you're getting when you sign the contract.

So yeah, be weary of Entertainment companies. Pro tip- the bigger it is, the worse it is. Small companies can do the exact same thing bigger guys can do, for WAY less. You just have to ask.

Sorry, but I don't think $60/hr is a ridiculous amount of money to pay someone. That's far more than I make an hour. Still not tipping the DJ.

I own a DJ business. I DJ my own events, so its not a concern to me, but most DJ's are pretty under paid. If they don't own the company, they might take home less than 20% of what you were charged. (Most entertainment companies are pretty shady) I'd tip your DJ.

The DJ at the wedding is a one man show. He owns the company and if you hire him, you get him. His wife handles his bookings.

I only tipped my stylist and wedding planner that day. Everyone else owned their own businesses and thus don’t get tipped in my book.

I got married three years ago and at the time, the consensus I gathered from the internet and friends/family is that if they are an "independent contractor" - as in, they set their own price for their time and services and the profit is theirs alone - then a tip would not be warranted. If an employee of the florist were delivering and setting up the flowers, I may tip in that case.

Id still tip if he did a nice job. Use your judgement.

Judging from his YouTube videos, reviews, and word of mouth, he may be what I’m looking forward to most.

I only tipped my stylist and wedding planner that day. Everyone else owned their own businesses and thus don’t get tipped in my book.

Thanks for the reminder about the hair stylist, I will ask DD if she included a tip in the Venmo payment to reserve or if we should be prepared to tip that morning.

Their price is determined by contract, right? I'm not tipping.

My unpopular opinion is I'm tired of tipping seemingly anybody and everybody.

You know the price going in to have your hair done, but most people tip hair stylists. I don't really see a difference.

I've worked as a wedding planner. It is true that an amount is contracted, but most wedding planners do a lot more to make the event perfect than what is outlined in the contract. I know I did! I don't think a token tip is out of line.

I got married three years ago and at the time, the consensus I gathered from the internet and friends/family is that if they are an "independent contractor" - as in, they set their own price for their time and services and the profit is theirs alone - then a tip would not be warranted. If an employee of the florist were delivering and setting up the flowers, I may tip in that case.

I was going to say this same thing. I don't tip people who set their own price. I feel like tipping is for someone who goes above and beyond despite making the same salary no matter how much effort they exert.

When I go to a stylist's house for a hair cut, no I don't tip. At a salon, I do. I don't tip independent contractors who set their own price either. When DD was married, the caterer (separate from the venue) provided the bartenders and servers, and we gave them a pooled tip to be shared.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter