• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tips for driving from NJ to FL with 2 kids!

deedeew80

Dreaming of My Prince
Hi everyone! We will be going to WDW November 24-30 it will be me, DH, DD8 and DS6. We will be driving from south Jersey, right outside Philadelphia. I am NOT looking forward to it at all! Lol! We are hoping to leave the Friday after Thanksgiving, going for the middle of the night (3ish or so) driving as far as we can before stopping for the night. We check in on Saturday the 24th so I don’t want to waste my day driving, want to get right to the parks! Any tips for this long drive with 2 kids? TIA!

I live in NE NJ and drive to and from Philadelphia that weekend every year, for the past 10 years. I only drive either morning or late night, so much traffic that weekend. Get as much of the driving you can get done overnight.

Stop every 4 hours so that the kids can stretch their legs. Back in my day, trips that long we'd just bring books, coloring books, sketch paper and crayons/colored pencils. Play license plate bingo. Lay the ground rules ahead of time. It's going to be a LONG day for everyone.

I live in NE NJ and drive to and from Philadelphia that weekend every year, for the past 10 years. I only drive either morning or late night, so much traffic that weekend. Get as much of the driving you can get done overnight.
I was wondering about the traffic since it’s a holiday weekend. :scratchin

Hi everyone! We will be going to WDW November 24-30 it will be me, DH, DD8 and DS6. We will be driving from south Jersey, right outside Philadelphia. I am NOT looking forward to it at all! Lol! We are hoping to leave the Friday after Thanksgiving, going for the middle of the night (3ish or so) driving as far as we can before stopping for the night. We check in on Saturday the 24th so I don’t want to waste my day driving, want to get right to the parks! Any tips for this long drive with 2 kids? TIA!
one problem with going as late as possible is the kids falling asleep in car at normal bedtime and waking up as you stop and not being able to go back to sleep. since it is a holiday weekend unless you plan to stop at a Walmart parking lot I would make a ressie about half way or little further. plan on some active time before heading to bed as they have been sitting for long time. granted we travel in summer but we like to stop early enough so kids have a chance to swim before bed. ps we have done WDW from Lancaster,Pa driving with grandkids from 4 months to 15 years on a number of different trips

one problem with going as late as possible is the kids falling asleep in car at normal bedtime and waking up as you stop and not being able to go back to sleep. since it is a holiday weekend unless you plan to stop at a Walmart parking lot I would make a ressie about half way or little further. plan on some active time before heading to bed as they have been sitting for long time. granted we travel in summer but we like to stop early enough so kids have a chance to swim before bed. ps we have done WDW from Lancaster,Pa driving with grandkids from 4 months to 15 years on a number of different trips
That is what I’m worried about. If I get them up at say 3am, I’m afraid they won’t go back to sleep!

We drove from Georgia to central NJ last Thanksgiving. We left 6 a.m. and arrived at 9:30 p.m. We stopped for the usual gas and food but didn't mess around and really hit the road. We didn't hit that much traffic, but when we did, it was for very long periods of time. Going forward, we will probably leave at night. I was just talking to my husband tonight that I can't do that long a drive for a weeks vacation. From now on, when we travel to NJ it will have to be for at least a two week trip. My husband refuses to fly.

For your age kids I say electronics. At home I was always pretty stict on screen time but I threw it all out the window when we traveled. Even now the youngest is 11 and it is pretty much the same. Download a tablet with games, apps etc. be sure you have a DVD player for the car. A few good movies can help a lot. Try your best to keep them sleepy when you leave. Dress them in travel clothes when you put them to bed. Have everything ready to go and don’t wake them until the last second. Keep the car quite and don’t talk to them. While traveling, try to make the most of stops. If you stop for fast food, choose a place with a play area and let them play while you eat and them get them food to go. Also grabbing food from a fast food drive through and stopping at a rest stop is good too. Pack a ball for a bit of exercise. Reality is we rarely stop much when traveling to a location. About every 5 or 6 hours. Return trip home we take it much slower and stop more. Beyond electronics, color wonder sets, a few action figures, silly putty, a few pipe cleaners, a manga doodle, a book to read or for you to read out loud or maybe a sticker book can be fun. Snacks are great too. Some healthy, some just for fun. Family games are a huge hit for us. 20 questions, liscene plate games, etc are fun.

For your age kids I say electronics. At home I was always pretty stict on screen time but I threw it all out the window when we traveled. Even now the youngest is 11 and it is pretty much the same. Download a tablet with games, apps etc. be sure you have a DVD player for the car. A few good movies can help a lot. Try your best to keep them sleepy when you leave. Dress them in travel clothes when you put them to bed. Have everything ready to go and don’t wake them until the last second. Keep the car quite and don’t talk to them. While traveling, try to make the most of stops. If you stop for fast food, choose a place with a play area and let them play while you eat and them get them food to go. Also grabbing food from a fast food drive through and stopping at a rest stop is good too. Pack a ball for a bit of exercise. Reality is we rarely stop much when traveling to a location. About every 5 or 6 hours. Return trip home we take it much slower and stop more. Beyond electronics, color wonder sets, a few action figures, silly putty, a few pipe cleaners, a manga doodle, a book to read or for you to read out loud or maybe a sticker book can be fun. Snacks are great too. Some healthy, some just for fun. Family games are a huge hit for us. 20 questions, liscene plate games, etc are fun.
Great ideas!! Thanks so much!

My family always drove as a family from PA to FL. The things I remember is leaving early in the morning so we would sleep for a few hours and then could stop during the day. We all took a bag with crayons, coloring books, and books. I know we had snacks. Also, we watched movies and listened to music, but mostly we slept. Also my mom always did special state gifts for us. When we crossed the border we got a little gift, sometimes a special snack, sometimes a little gift. We usually got something bigger when we got to destination (i.e. new outfit, jewelry, stuffed animal.) This is a tradition that I am going to continue with my kids on trips because of all the great memories.

My family always drove as a family from PA to FL. The things I remember is leaving early in the morning so we would sleep for a few hours and then could stop during the day. We all took a bag with crayons, coloring books, and books. I know we had snacks. Also, we watched movies and listened to music, but mostly we slept. Also my mom always did special state gifts for us. When we crossed the border we got a little gift, sometimes a special snack, sometimes a little gift. We usually got something bigger when we got to destination (i.e. new outfit, jewelry, stuffed animal.) This is a tradition that I am going to continue with my kids on trips because of all the great memories.
Thanks! I love the gift idea!!

I might be the odd one out but I never treated any long car trips with my son any different than long car trips with adults. He was one of those kids that as soon as he got in a moving car he fell asleep, so much so that it scared me when he started to drive. When he was awake he would amuse himself playing games on his game boy (that tells you how long ago it was) or just talk with me. I would stop when either of us needed to go to the bathroom and usually pack a lunch and stop at a rest stop to eat so we could both stretch our legs.

When we were kids we took many road trips, there were 6 of us so our time in the car was usually spent sleeping or fighting or just listening to whatever my parents had on the radio. Mama would pack lunches and we would stop at rest stops or parks with picnic tables to eat and the boys would play some football or something and back on the road we would get. It really wasn't that big of a deal, but I'll admit that was before all the electronic stuff that is available now so we pretty much had to know how to amuse ourselves anyway.

We live in Western Pa. and have made the trip several times. Our oldest was not a child who enjoyed long car rides. Our first road trip with her, I never thought we'd make it as she was a little terror!!! We actually changed our plans for our return trip and did MK all day and left at 7:00pm and drove all night. We were exhausted when we finally got home and swore never again. Well since that trip we have driven to California, South Dakota, and New Mexico with her and have enjoyed every trip. We take a lot of water, computers, movies, color wonders, car bingo. We've have spent a lot of time at rest stops where they are able to run around awhile. We look back at our first trip and laugh about it now. There is something about being in a car with your family for a long period of time. Life is so busy its kind off nice to have time to just enjoy each other without interruptions. Have a great trip, you've picked the best time of the year to go!!

No advice...except to fly lol

We also live in South Jersey right outside Philly and we WERE planning to drive with a 2.5 and 6 year old this August. When I factored in gas, tolls, and a hotel to stay at each way (we would not drive straight through) flying was like $200 more, and I really just don't want to do it. My 6 year old is a complainer and the 2.5 year old yells "Unbuckle!!" all the time while driving. We are flying Spirit out of Atlantic City.

We live just north of Philly and drove once. Nothing horrible happened, but it was just tiring and we have no plans to do it again.

When we don't fly, we take the AutoTrain. If you book it early (like 6+ months out) it can be less expensive than flying. I booked in January for July and for one adult, one child going down and two adults, one child coming back it is less than $750 in total. We opt for the regular coach seats (which are like first class airplane seats) instead of the significantly more roomettes.

The AutoTrain leaves from Lorton, VA (just off 95, one exit south of the beltway) and travels directly to Sanford, FL. We have to check in at Lorton before 2pm, the train leaves around 4pm, and we arrive after breakfast the following morning.

The trip is easy. The seats have power outlets to keep your electronics charged and the trip includes dinner and breakfast in the dining car. They also show a movie and provide some snacks in the Lounge car. My kids love it, and I love arriving in Florida rested and ready to hit the parks!

When you get to Florida, I would stop at a Walgreens or Publix and pick up a SunPass. We did this a few trips ago (opting for the transponder instead of the sticker so we can be flexible with what vehicle we use) and it has made traveling in Florida a ton simpler.

Your EZpass doesn't work in Florida. :-( (even though they also have something called EZpass, it isn't the same)

I don't have much to offer that hasn't been suggested. I am also in south jersey, right outside of Philly. I have not done the drive yet, but my husband and I have discussed it many times. Our plan was to drive to Williamsburg, VA and stay one or two nights, spending one day in Busch Gardens. We have done this drive about 6 times. Then, drive overnight to Disney from there, splitting the drive time between the two of us.

We also live in South Jersey right outside Philly and we WERE planning to drive with a 2.5 and 6 year old this August. When I factored in gas, tolls, and a hotel to stay at each way (we would not drive straight through) flying was like $200 more, and I really just don't want to do it. My 6 year old is a complainer and the 2.5 year old yells "Unbuckle!!" all the time while driving. We are flying Spirit out of Atlantic City.

Same here. My husband and I discussed it many times, but always ended up flying because we didn't see the savings as worth the hassle, at all.

When we went to Disney in 2015 my husband was dead set on driving but we all finally convinced him to fly! Especially after finding airfare for around $700 for the 4 of us!! The kids don’t want to drive either. I’m hoping to change his mind again this time!! Lol!

We live just north of Philly and drove once. Nothing horrible happened, but it was just tiring and we have no plans to do it again.

When we don't fly, we take the AutoTrain. If you book it early (like 6+ months out) it can be less expensive than flying. I booked in January for July and for one adult, one child going down and two adults, one child coming back it is less than $750 in total. We opt for the regular coach seats (which are like first class airplane seats) instead of the significantly more roomettes.

The AutoTrain leaves from Lorton, VA (just off 95, one exit south of the beltway) and travels directly to Sanford, FL. We have to check in at Lorton before 2pm, the train leaves around 4pm, and we arrive after breakfast the following morning.

The trip is easy. The seats have power outlets to keep your electronics charged and the trip includes dinner and breakfast in the dining car. They also show a movie and provide some snacks in the Lounge car. My kids love it, and I love arriving in Florida rested and ready to hit the parks!
I have rode the auto train many times as a kid! I looked into it but the price is about $1200 round trip! Definitely not spending that much!! Hopefully we can change hubby’s mind again!! Lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter