• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tips for flying from uk with 2 year old

jennriggs

Earning My Ears
Any tips for flying on a long haul flight with a 2 year old! This will be the first time he will be going on a plane, very anxious as to how he will be. Any tips would be great!

look for nonroll crayons, less pickup from roll off tray table. getting child uses to ear phones for electric devices. empty sippy until thru security. favorite snacks. do not know about UK security but do not give lovie until after thru as it has to go thru scanner can not be carried. if your carseat if airline approved bring if that is how your child is used to traveling. in carryon bag have a complete changed of clothes for everyone in your party even adults. do not know if you have ring lollypops in UK but if you can find bring a few for helping ear pain. toughest thing will be if you have to change diaper on plane as not much room to move

I have been doing long flights with DS since he was 10 months and leaving on a 15 hour flight on tuesday (he is 3 now). If the flight is more than 5 hours I travel with an umbrella stroller that is very light and reclines fully. It is the easier way to maneuver a toddler through and airport and you will need it in WDW. It is necessary if you have more than 1 hour layovers (either by choice or by chance). I carry a backpack with his things and a bag that has stroller clips, so it can be hanged on it.

If you are renting a car, it is much easier to rent a car seat with it. My son sleeps better laying horizontally with his head or feet on my lap than he does on his car seat on the plane. Take a pillow, blankets and lovie in your carry on as well as a pajama, which doubles as a change of clothes. Pack a whole meal, lots of snacks and 2 empty cups, it is unlikely he will eat what is served on the plane. After going through security fill one if the cups with water and leave the other for milk (if he drinks milk). If my flight is a red eye I ask the cup the be filled with milk when they serve breakfast. If my husband travels with me we also take a small carry on with more snacks and extra clothes for everyone.

I frequently get compliments on how well behaved my toddler is in flights and my secret is... the iPad! (or some kind of tablet) A couple of favorite movies and some kid friendly apps do wonders. I have a painting app, no need for crayons! You need something to entertain toddlers in long flights and nothings beats it. I always have a surprise app or episode of a cartoon he likes waiting for when we get on the plane.

Thank you everyone! Some great tips! We are going to take a little case for toys and bits to entertain him. We are definitely going to take our iPad and put lots of stuff on there to keep him entertained. Me and hubby are both taking hand luggage so will make sure we take pillows/blankets and change of clothes! Going to buy lots of food and snacks to take on board for him. Can you take that through security or do you need to buy it once your through the baggage checks? X

subbing to this as we will also be flying with an almost 2 year old from the UK! Where/when are you flying Jennriggs?

We are flying on 27th September from gatwick, flying with virgin! What about you? Cannot wait really looking forward to it, just nervous about how my 2 year old will be on the flight!

We have travelled win both our boys at various ages since they were 4months from the UK with Virgin Åland others

You won't be able to take any liquids through UK security but you can take food. Stop at one of the shops and get some drinks once you are through especially milk if your little one likes that to settle. The milk on the plane is awful, one trip they gave us milk that was gone off! Luckily Hubby had the sense to check it before given it to our son, otherwise who knows the consequences. I also have lots of snacks as my boys often fall asleep when the meals come around and wake up hungry!

We also have films and cartoons on the iPad for them to watch in case they don't like the offerings on the plane and they also have their own padded headphones as the plane one don't fit them very well and are not comfortable.

I'm sure your little one will be just fine and you will have a great holiday,

Keep a few new little toys (or start stashing away some you already have so they will seem like new) so that you can bring something new out of your bag every so often. I remember reading something like one for each hour of your flight but we found that the cartoons, food, etc provided plenty of distraction too :)

I would save a few new or new again in your checked bag for the trip home. do not get out everything on flight over. bring an empty sippy cup for use on plane, get drink after security, I would do this even if using regular cup,saves on spills

Jennriggs

We're flying 25th September with a 5 year old and 3 year old. Also with Virgin Gatwick to Orlando!! We'll be at Disney at the same time :banana:

Here's our carryon/entertainment list.

Colouring Book (each)
iPads & Apps/Films/Games
Magazines (each)
Crayola Mess Free Colouring Pad (each) SERIOUSLY, get one. They're incredible.
Noise Cancelling Headphones (each)
Play Doh (each) my kids will argue!
Sticker Book and Extra Stickers (each)
Teddy (each)
Mini Princesses from Kinder eggs atm (DD5)
3 Hot Wheels (DS3)
Activity Book (DD5)
Paper to draw roads and towns for the Hot Wheels.
Paper Only Crayola Felt Tips
Crayons
Colouring Pencils.
Pipe Cleaners
Portable DVD Player
Case of DVD's
Blanket (DS3)
Sheet of Bubble Wrap (each)
Also don't forget inflight headphone adaptors.

Mini Haribo Packs
Lollies to suck on during take off & landing.
We have the morning flight so we'll be having breakfast at Gatwick, but we planning on picking up Meal Deals at Boots in case the kids don't like the food on the plane.

How exciting!! Cannot wait to see my sons face at disney!! Thank you so much for the list that's great!! X

I agree that a tablet is great for a child on a plane. We make sure to download favorite TV shows and movies for DS as well as something new.

Also, if the plane has individual TVS it is definitely worth the swipe of a credit card to order it for your child. Again it helps keep them occupied..they can play with switching channels, watching favorite shows and playing video games.

Make sure to have a comfortable pair of head phones for your child.
When DS was young we also brought along a small favorite blanket to cuddle with.

In addition to snacks, drinks, toys, etc. make sure you have your basic first aid / medicine kit and something to help with ears on take off and landing. We find lollipops help and at your child's age sippy cups. Just make sure your child is sucking on something on take off and landing to help with ear popping. On our last flights we got EARPLANE earplugs for DS and they helped. They have child sized ones. There's nothing worse then a child with clogged ears on a flight. If your child has even the slightest of sniffles before you leave ask Dr. what you can give to help open up and drain sinuses before leaving. If your child tends to get ear infections have the ears checked about 2 weeks before you leave to make sure there is no fluid.

Also depending upon when your flight leaves you may want to let your child stay up later or wake them up earlier so they are tired when you get on the plane and may fall asleep for a good portion of the trip.

Jennriggs

We're flying 25th September with a 5 year old and 3 year old. Also with Virgin Gatwick to Orlando!! We'll be at Disney at the same time :banana:

Here's our carryon/entertainment list.

Colouring Book (each)
iPads & Apps/Films/Games
Magazines (each)
Crayola Mess Free Colouring Pad (each) SERIOUSLY, get one. They're incredible.
Noise Cancelling Headphones (each)
Play Doh (each) my kids will argue!
Sticker Book and Extra Stickers (each)
Teddy (each)
Mini Princesses from Kinder eggs atm (DD5)
3 Hot Wheels (DS3)
Activity Book (DD5)
Paper to draw roads and towns for the Hot Wheels.
Paper Only Crayola Felt Tips
Crayons
Colouring Pencils.
Pipe Cleaners
Portable DVD Player
Case of DVD's
Blanket (DS3)
Sheet of Bubble Wrap (each)
Also don't forget inflight headphone adaptors.

Mini Haribo Packs
Lollies to suck on during take off & landing.
We have the morning flight so we'll be having breakfast at Gatwick, but we planning on picking up Meal Deals at Boots in case the kids don't like the food on the plane.

That's a great list... but bubble wrap? So the kids can pop it? I cannot imagine sitting near a child on a plane and not being totally annoyed by that. It drives my DH crazy when our kids (or I) get ahold of bubble wrap. I think I'd reconsider that one.

I'm not sure if they still make them, but my kids loved little magnet books when they were toddlers. We had a Thomas the train one that DS could move the trains around on.

We've done bubble wrap on our journeys before. It's cheap entertainment for less than 5 minutes and we've never had any complaints. Of course if it's bothering someone we'll stop. Me and DH don't mind. We're paying a lot of money to fly 10 hours to stay at the mouse house for 2 weeks. We will do anything to keep them entertained. Why would anyone complain? Surely some popping is better than two kids kicking the back of your chair and screaming!
Besides British people are notouriously polite and good at keeping their calm.

My DD5 only pops it during turbulance or when she's scared ... ahem ... 4/5 toilet trips on a ten hour flight, she HATES the toilets especially if you have to go up/downstairs to the toilet cabin. Last time we gave DS3 bubble wrap on a long train journey to Disney Land Paris, he was like the hulk. He tried scrunching it up popping it all in one go. I don't think it will be a problem and we're still packing some.

I agree with amym2, no bubble wrap. Can you imagine being an adult nervous flyer and hear an unexpected....sometimes loud...pop pop pop. Not good.

The number one entertainment I found on a long trip is ME;). All these items are great, and I always have a tablet or DVD player, but just telling yourself that most of your trip will be entertaining your child can make your attitude and therefor your trip much better. The sticker books and drawing and princess play will all last twice as long if you join in the play a bit and engage the kids into it more.....not the whole 13 hours (that's what tablets and movies are for;)) but at least part of the time. Read along book, read quietly by you, can keep them calm and occupied for a long time. Choose an easy to follow chapter book that both kids would enjoy. Take twice the food and half the toys is my plan. Take foods that are also fun. Have them color some paper blue, them give them a few goldfish to live in the pond and that they can "Catch" and eat. Animal crackers can live in the zoo or jungle and caught to be eaten. A few fun, rare treats are great too. Mini M&Ms to sort and eat, pop rock candy, a few of the fun things like the sour candy baby bottles.
Also have enough toddler friendly meal foods for at least 3 meals. Try to keep at least mostly healthy, normal foods for these times.
Weigh your odds on sleep depending on the timing of your arrival and time change. Im all for them sleeping on the plane and dealing with having them up super late at the destination but my friend that flies long distances with her 3 under 4 quite often (ALONE) will keep hers awake at all cost to get them back on a normal sleep schedule.

Great advice above. I would add, post-it notes. Yes, the little yellow pads of paper. They are great fun for sticking on and off the seat, the window, the tray table, moms forehead, etc. And they don't make a mess.

Also, for snacks, things that you can dole out one at a time are great for taking up more time quietly and productively. So instead of giving your kid the bag of m&ms, for example, give them one or two at a time.

And most importantly... remember that you will never see these people again in your life, so don't stress too much!

Good luck!

Just got done flying by myself with my three year old and nine month old! Delays and long flights and layovers, oh my!

Things that worked well:
Movies on tablet

Color Wonder marker pads - no mess!

Bead Lacing - large foam beads and pipe cleaners, this kept him quiet the longest and is great fine motor skill practice.

Felt play sets - I cut felt out in sets. One set was "build a monster" (body shapes, arms, legs, eyes, etc) and cupcakes (cupcake bottoms and tops of all colors and toppings too). The felt board to stick it to was just scrap cardboard with felt glued to it and I made it the size of the ziplock bag I stored the sets in. This was especially great during the layovers. Snacks, all kinds. Crackers, bars, jerky (protein!), etc. Bring an empty sippy to fill up during the flight.

Not quite as long a haul as you have but we've flown across the country here in the States with our two and here are some things we've found work well:
* comfort items -- blankies, favorite stuffed animal, pacifiers, etc. Guard them with your life. Keep them in YOUR carry-on. Pacifiers I always kept a bag for the dirty ones that fall on the floor and one of clean ones. Small pillow pets can be a godsend too as well as a beach towel you can use as a blanket and easily launder.
* snacks -- sounds like you have that down
* at least two water bottles, one for water and one for another beverage like juice or milk. Lots of kids love to fill them up at the water fountains.
* Toys -- try to find non-noisy ones. I stuck with a few favs and then a couple new ones.
* activities -- coloring books and crayons, plain note pad, sticky notes, stickers, pipe cleaners or string and beads (in a container or plastic bag), band-aids (yes, mine loved them), color wonder stuff. We also had a little hand puppet we used with a book of Five Little Monkeys and the kids LOVED it and loved playing with it.
* movies, games, etc. -- iPad, portable DVD players, etc. We got Kidzgear headphones for the kids and those worked really well and were comfortable for them.
overall strategy, consider ziploc bags to hold different things -- all your crayons and such in one bag, small toys in another, diaper changing stuff in another, etc. Easy to grab the bag you need without sorting through a ton of different things. Also be sure to pack some spare empty ziplocs for any accidents and stuff you find yourself having to store. Also, store all meds in a ziploc bag so it is easy to get to. You never know what you'll need on the flight.

That's a great list... but bubble wrap? So the kids can pop it? I cannot imagine sitting near a child on a plane and not being totally annoyed by that. It drives my DH crazy when our kids (or I) get ahold of bubble wrap. I think I'd reconsider that one.

:thumbsup2

Leave the bubble wrap at home. If no one complained about this, it doesn't mean people weren't annoyed. Noisy items don't belong on a plane. Be considerate of other passengers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter